Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a horrible idea? Currently I need to get my car 250 miles from PA to NY. I have a tow vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4) that is rated up to 5000 pounds in stock form. This includes the stock gearing, transmission, suspension and engine setup that has 185hp and 220ft/lbs of torque. The Jeep is currently set up with a built tranny, some steep gears and a supercharger that makes around 350hp and torque in addition to some beefy offroad suspension. Will this add to the towing capacity of the vehicle or will it just make towing easier up to that specified weight? BTW, the trailer and car together weight 5400-5500lbs and the trailer is equiped with surge brakes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The upfrades you put on you car do increase you towing potential. However, i wouldnt recommend anything beyond 5500lbs for the kind of rig your talking about.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Towing over the rated capacity is hardest on the tranny. I am sure since yours is beefed up along with the motor you will be fine. Just take it easy and dont be that jackass that drives at 90mph weaving in and out of traffic towing a huge ass trailer.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Hrmm it seems like you should be cool. You say it was normally rated to 5k, and you have a biult tranny now. If im not mistaken the ratings are mainly based on how much extra load the tranny can handle, so you should be good to go.

Alex

·
Registered
457 Posts
sounds like it will be fine... Just make sure you stop ~every hour and let the motor/tranny cool down..

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Are we forgetting about braking? That is a LOT of mass to bring to a stop. Sure the pulling part might not be a problem, but stopping? Using what you have now will result in a lot of premature brake wear not to mention be slightly dangerous due to increased stopping distances. Also what type of trailer are we talking about here? How much load are you going to be putting on the hitch itself? Not only that it is strong enough to pull that load, but also that your suspension can deal with the extra weight pushing down on it. Lots to take into consideration.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
As said above, pulling should be fine, but leave some extra room to get the thing stopped. Even if it seems to stop ok, you will be putting extra stress on the braking system and warped rotors and brake fade could be factors if you ask too much for miles on end.....

All in all tho, it shouldn't be a problem if you drive reasonably :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for braking, the thing is rated to 5000lbs with no mention of a trailer brake. The trailer I will use does have surge brakes so the vehicles brakes will have lots of help. I guess the main determining factor should be what the axles can handle. If they are rated for over 5500lbs things look like they should be fine. Thanks for the input guys.

·
mahkittahluvsme
544 Posts
I tow frequently and the setup you describe sounds like it will be ok...especially for such a short haul, but as others have said, your brakes are going to take a beating so give yourself plenty of room to stop. Most importantly, I'm assuming your built tranny has a transmission cooler...that'll come in very handy as your transmission is probably going to be straining pretty hard itself (if you're going upstate in the hills). You should have a class III hitch, but I'm also guessing that's what you have given the stock capacity you cited.

It does sound fine...be careful and have a safe trip.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, the vehicle isn't mine so I'll make sure to check to see if they have a trans cooler and temp. gauge. I just found out that the axles are upgraded too so I'm sure it will be fine if we drive slow and safe.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Is this a horrible idea? Currently I need to get my car 250 miles from PA to NY. I have a tow vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4) that is rated up to 5000 pounds in stock form. This includes the stock gearing, transmission, suspension and engine setup that has 185hp and 220ft/lbs of torque. The Jeep is currently set up with a built tranny, some steep gears and a supercharger that makes around 350hp and torque in addition to some beefy offroad suspension. Will this add to the towing capacity of the vehicle or will it just make towing easier up to that specified weight? BTW, the trailer and car together weight 5400-5500lbs and the trailer is equiped with surge brakes.
You can do it, but as noted, brakes are the limiting issue.
Surge brakes help, but you can burn up the tow vehicle brakes anyway if you are not careful.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
1. tranny radiator. had one on ours and on a suburban we used to tow and never have any problems.
2. MAKE SURE YOU DONT LEAVE THE OVERDRIVE [email protected]! i can't stress this enough, my dad had a company car, 99 Grand Cherokee limited w/ all the fixens and left the damn thing in OD the whole way to maine one year from PA and after it was never the same.
3. make sure the car is properly secured.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
It will be fine. I trailered my car with my old Jeep Cherokee v8 more than 250 miles. The jeep will look like its doing a wheelie and will kill the brakes and probably put a hurting on the tranny. but make sure you have a tranny cooler and youll be good to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts