Supra Forums banner
221 - 240 of 355 Posts
Probably just slicks and race fuel lol
Probably just slicks, IMO. The Corvette community has some incredible slicks-only drag racers. With the weight of the motor over the rear wheels, the C8 will put down its power much better than the C7 and the C7 was very good, if not the best, at this for a front engine car. GM chassis/power train engineers have, traditionally, excelled at this (putting lots of power down without pitching the car into the ditches).

Ken.

Probably just slicks, IMO. The Corvette community has some incredible slicks-only drag racers. With the weight of the motor over the rear wheels, the C8 will put down its power much better than the C7 and the C7 was very good, if not the best, at this for a front engine car. GM chassis/power train engineers have, traditionally, excelled at this (putting lots of power down without pitching the car into the ditches).

Ken.
I was thinking just slicks as well but without a doubt the extra kick from the fuel would put it well into the 10s. Man this is exciting.

I cannot seem to locate any flex fuel info on this - will it take E-85 from Chevy or would that be an expensive modification?

Another video of it revving....?

Its wickedly intimidating. When will we find out the specification is what i wonder.

C8R engine spec is confirmed. 5.5 liter flat-plane crank engine.

2019 IMSA Rules

"22.2.Car Composition
22.2.1.The Car must consist of the homologated bodyshell/chassis (monocoque) unit and the homologated engine block (or crankshaft case)." pg.59
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/...regulations_and_ssr_iwsc_blackline_082119.pdf

Why did I post a 2019 rule book for a 2020 car? It's safe to assume that the 2020 IMSA rules will be the same and the C8R engine should be a homologated version of the 2020 street car, which means a version of the C8 street car will get a 5.5L flat-plane crank engine. This coincides with the GM leaked engine document of a 5.5L DOHC TT engine.

2019 IMSA Rules

"22.2.Car Composition
22.2.1.The Car must consist of the homologated bodyshell/chassis (monocoque) unit and the homologated engine block (or crankshaft case)." pg.59
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/...regulations_and_ssr_iwsc_blackline_082119.pdf

Why did I post a 2019 rule book for a 2020 car? It's safe to assume that the 2020 IMSA rules will be the same and the C8R engine should be a homologated version of the 2020 street car, which means a version of the C8 street car will get a 5.5L flat-plane crank engine. This coincides with the GM leaked engine document of a 5.5L DOHC TT engine.
LOL Toyota.

2019 IMSA Rules

"22.2.Car Composition

First link doesn't work for me.

chevydude,,

You nailed it when most public pronouncements and speculation pointed to the Black Wing or a derivation of it. A 5.5L DOHC twin-turbo motor is so what I was hoping for. Speaking personally, this would be the C8 to have. Lordy!

Ken.

chevydude,,

You nailed it when most public pronouncements and speculation pointed to the Black Wing or a derivation of it. A 5.5L DOHC twin-turbo motor is so what I was hoping for. Speaking personally, this would be the C8 to have. Lordy!
Ken.
The evidence was there! I'm a big believer that automotive-journalists (YouTube hosts especially) don't know much about anything, as they are most certainly not well read. Think about it, we'll be getting a 5.5L Vette next year. I've never been excited about the Corvette, hell I want to swap a M120 Mercedes V12 in a C2 or C1 (blasemphy? Damn your SBC in to eveything, it's time to make amends!), but this C8 is exciiiiiiting!

Back to the 5.5: a 5.5L DOHC means something big is coming, whereas the new LT2 has barely cut its teeth in regards to being on the market. Aside from that, the 5.5L will be new and ready for the 2020 IMSA race season,which starts Jan 23rd. Keep in mind, production is slated for Dec 2nd. https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/update-on-2020-corvette-orders-and-production/

So, I'm not sure when the 5.5L will be introduced, but it's safe to assume between Dec. 2nd and Jan 23rd. I don't know if IMSA allows cars to be entered/raced after the season has started. Can anyone confirm, as that's an awfully tight window. I say the aforementioned, as Duntov died in April, but he was born in December, so possible commemorative edition, or an edition later in the 2020 year. I'm trying to figure out how Chevrolet plans to release the 5.5, as a new 5.5L DOHC (TT?) is a big deal. We're barely getting the LT2, and they want to drop a 5.5L DOHC flat-plane crank engine on us?

Looks like the strike at GM will affect production of the C8 causing more delays. I know someone that ordered one and was told August 2020 not sure what the delay will be now.

221 - 240 of 355 Posts