5,238 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,964 Posts
MT test here:

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,357 Posts
Tons of reviews here, I haven't had a chance to check them all out yet.

Thanks for the link, but I dismissed any credence to the RT author when they kept referring to the LT2 as a, "small block". What did I say earlier, Ken? Anyways, in fairness I kept reading, they complained more than anything, which is stupid because they admit it's a pre-production car.

Common things I kept reading were how quiet and almost luxurious the car felt, which surprised me as these are the Z51 equipped cars. I would think the base ones would be quiet, while the Z51s would be louder. Disappointed to hear that they pipe in synthetic engine noises in the cabin if the RT article is true. I think Chevy realized they made it too cushy? lol.

2.8s 0-60 and near 11s flat 1/4s is incredible. Overall with regards to the other articles, it's hard to be definitive considering it's pre-production, but hopefully the 3LT package is cushiest while the 1 and 2LTs are more Corvette in sound/experience. I'm eager to hear what actual racing drivers comments are.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
From everything I've been reading, it sounds like the C8 doesn't handle quiet as well as the C7. Too much understeer. I bet Chevy did that on purpose for safety.

C/D also said that it isn't as fun to drive as the C7 or as engaging. I bet a big part of that is having no manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
10,148 Posts
From everything I've been reading, it sounds like the C8 doesn't handle quiet as well as the C7. Too much understeer. I bet Chevy did that on purpose for safety.

C/D also said that it isn't as fun to drive as the C7 or as engaging. I bet a big part of that is having no manual transmission.
I'm not sure about the car not handling as well as the C7, but you are correct that the mid-corner push was designed in the vehicle dynamics software as a safety precaution for all those 'Vette owners that have never driven a mid-engine car. The MT comparo with the 911 speaks to this. As the article says, it's an issue when doing figure 8s but, in everyday driving, I do not see it as an issue. This was a very early production car that was virtually the equal, or superior, to the 911 in many areas and outright superior in terms of the quality of materials used and ride quality.

Ken.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Also you have to consider that the C8 rides on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S ZP tires, which from what I hear are a big improvement over the C7 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Overall, it looks like GM got most of the Corvette right. Looking forward to more comparison and long term tests.

·
Registered
64 Posts
C8 putting down some crazy dyno numbers?!

650 crank hp / 515whp after multiple runs from an NA V8? That is nuts. Maybe their dyno isn't calibrated or something?

·
Registered
559 Posts
They keep on using 15% for driveterrain loss. Thats too high for a DCT with no driveshaft or torque converter. Should be around 10% or less.

241 - 251 of 251 Posts