Supra Forums banner
281 - 300 of 355 Posts
C8 Corvette Sells Out Almost Immediately In Japan - CorvetteForum
Japanese buyers bought all 300 available C8 Corvettes in just 60 hours, with a starting price $30,000 higher than the US base MSRP.
UGH. I've given some thought to picking up a C8 in maybe 2023 or so.....but if Chevy Japan thinks I'm going to pay a $30k premium just for the convenience of having the steering wheel on the correct side of the car they can stick a Small Block where the sun doesn't shine. I really hate the Japanese sports car market sometimes (note: the Lexus RC-F has a similar markup and that car is MADE IN JAPAN).

Many Japanese have the perception that high price = quality. If it's not expensive....it must be a piece of junk. Displacement-based annual taxes. 6-liter engine = $1,000+ every year. The average Japanese wouldn't even contemplate these sort of registration costs. Just a generally small market for ~500hp mid-engine exotics. All of that combines to clearly give Chevy's Japanese dealers a ridiculous profit margin on the small number of cars they sell.

But it feels diametrically opposed to the spirit of the Corvette IMO: a car for the everyman that punches far above its price, pretty affordable to anyone who works hard and saves his money. Guess I'll have to double down on those last two points.

Anyone think it's possible to order a RHD Corvette from a US dealership?

Base model Z51 package on the track. Quite impressive on those tires

Yes. Held its own against a much lighter and more powerful Porsche. This car even in this first trim level is quite impressive!
Totally agree with these guys.

Ken.

The Corvette switching to a mid-engine layout is huge news, but it's not the only major change happening with the car. In October, Chevy revealed the race-ready C8.R, now packing a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter flat-plane crank V-8 engine—a big step away from the pushrod V-8s found in the new road car and last-generation race car. A Chevy engineer confirmed the engine would make its way to a road-going Corvette, and this test car is likely it.

Meanwhile, with piggybacks, pistons, and turbos, the C8 dips in to the 9's.
Wow. Wonder if its full weight.
They look like they can improve upon that time with some more tweaking.

Wow. Wonder if its full weight.
They look like they can improve upon that time with some more tweaking.
Yeah, definitely looks like some better numbers are possible if it hooks well out of the line, as it's getting some wheel hop on the last pull. No surprise though with those numbers. On the flip, the DCT and rods must be pretty damn stout if it's holding these numbers untouched.

The 911 looked extremely smooth, looked like the C8 had some understeer, and the R8 was rather twitchy and seemed to have oversteer. Driver seemed dissapointed with his run as he shook his head again at the end of the vid.

Corvette aftermarket is so stout! Superchargers, twin turbo systems and everything in between. Impressive.

Ken.

Reactions: Mr.Gill
700hp ProCharged C8 on 8 lbs of boooooost. That "thwack" sound on gear changes is so hot. I like how the digital speedometer just says, "F it, I'm just throwin' random numbers at you".

-snip-
speedo isn't doing anything its not stock. Its just that GM decided to be an idiot and give it a polling rate of like 2Hz. its 2020 already, no reason they can't do actual speed. it wouldn't cost them anymore, they just decided to go the stupid route with it.

281 - 300 of 355 Posts