Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 247 Posts

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
I can see them putting the ZO6 engine in the back and doing a hybrid assist for the front wheels to get AWD and hypercar performance levels.
I can see this, but I think getting away from pushrods would be awesome.

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Also everyone here calling it a Holden....do you really not understand how mechanical prototype mules work yet?
I guess not! :lol: I'm sure it's just a powertrain validation mule.

Or many would remember how the Middle East shelled Lumina SS was used for the Camaro mule

How the S2000 was used as a NSX mule

How the Ford Transit Van was used for the Jaguar XJ220 testing

Reg number: G134XVX started life in 1989 as a humble Ford Transit. It was acquired by Jaguar to allow them to test the running gear of their new supercar, the XJ220 in secret.

The Transit was transformed by Jaguar into a secret test vehicle for the XJ220’s engine and running gear early on in the development of the XJ220. The van even had a ladder and roof rack fitted as part of its disguise. Unless you noticed the big ZR high speed tyres and XJ220 alloys, there are few clues to the 542bhp engine lurking underneath.
Or the awesome half-Wrangler for the Prowler:lol:

Hmmm, got an idea for a new thread...Test Mules. Will probably start it later :D

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,357 Posts
Modern journalism, beh. It's an Elky as far as I'm concerned, and that can be confirmed. This doesn't prove anything yet. Modern journalism annoys me as much as selfies.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
C7 roof and interior, this would be a weird mule if it were for a ute variant lol.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks like the results of when a monkey fucks a football.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I know this is supposed to be a C8, but I can see this being the C7 ZR1 replacement. Basically offered along side the normal C7 midway through cycle to test customer reception and later sold as the C8 Z06. Similar to the way they tested out the C4 ZR-1's LT-5 motor, and the C6 Zr-1 LS9 motor before it became a derivative became the C7 Z06 motor. How long before a power train mule like this becomes ready for production?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
We are probably 2-3 years away, there's only so much testing they can do with the body in a wind tunnel but then again the GT is supposedly production ready and there wasn't a single spy shot of that in the wild.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I know this is supposed to be a C8, but I can see this being the C7 ZR1 replacement. Basically offered along side the normal C7 midway through cycle to test customer reception and later sold as the C8 Z06. Similar to the way they tested out the C4 ZR-1's LT-5 motor, and the C6 Zr-1 LS9 motor before it became a derivative became the C7 Z06 motor. How long before a power train mule like this becomes ready for production?
I really kind of doubt that the C6 ZR1's LS9 and the C7 Z06's LT4 have anything to do with one another besides being supercharged Chevy small blocks. The C7 Z06 is likely supercharged because it's easier to squeeze the power out of a slightly smaller FI V8 than it is to try and make the same power N/A (reliably, that is). The LS9 and LSA likely taught them lessons for the future, though. The LT5 did legitimately serve as inspiration for later Northstar V8s, but I don't think that was the intention when they contracted Lotus to design it.

What you're saying about the theoretical mid-engined C8 does mimick what I've read from auto journalists lately though -- that this could be produced at the same time as the current front-engined C7. They're painting it more as the C7 and C8 coexisting for a short time though, rather than this mid-engined car being a top-tier C7. If you think about it, even if it re-used some C7 components, this is basically a whole new car... calling it anything else would be a disservice to the poor people working on it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Cadillac is developing their own line of engines again so it will be interesting if both Chevy and Cadillac have their own mid engine car.

21 - 40 of 247 Posts