Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been needing a new clutch to get back to the track. I have a great source for Exedy clutches, i'm thinking a twin or triple disc. Anyone have any experience with them? Or heard of any problems? Thank you ahead of time.

Jerry

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the twin disc and Its a great street clutch that can hold lots of power. The pedal feel is very close to stock so it is easy to drive. My only gripe is the tranny rattle due to the lightened flywheel, but this can be solved by raising the idle to aroun 1krpm. Other than that, the light flywheel makes rev matching and aggressive driving really fun.

FYI, I had to order flywheel bolts from a 00' and up celica because the supra bolts are too long for the lightened flywheel.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the twin carbon for about 9 months and it was a great clutch, but it couldn't hold the power I wanted to make. With the power in your sig I would go with the rps c/c or if you must use an exedy then go with the triple carbon clutch. The rattle wasn't all that unbearable but as stated if you raise the idle you're fine. Pedal pressure was extremely light and the clutch was sweet. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

James

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
I have a brand new twin disk that I need to sell... Another customer is making 840rwhp with this clutch and he has no complaints.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
I have the Triple disc Hyper carbon. I like it a lot but have to make a decision to keep it or go with a rps carbon/carbon that I have sitting here at my house. Problem is that the exedy has been a great clutch so far, the twin could not hold the power so definitely get the triple if you go with the exedy.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear alot of good things about the triple carbon but I didn't want to spend that much money. I only race about 5-6 times a year, I was thinking about the non-carbon triple. What do you guys think?

Jerry

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shupore said:
I have the twin disc and Its a great street clutch that can hold lots of power. The pedal feel is very close to stock so it is easy to drive. My only gripe is the tranny rattle due to the lightened flywheel, but this can be solved by raising the idle to aroun 1krpm. Other than that, the light flywheel makes rev matching and aggressive driving really fun.

FYI, I had to order flywheel bolts from a 00' and up celica because the supra bolts are too long for the lightened flywheel.
Do you have the regular twin or carbon?

Jerry

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
racing fan said:
I have a brand new twin disk that I need to sell... Another customer is making 840rwhp with this clutch and he has no complaints.
Ya I saw your ad about this clutch but I can get the clutch brand new for less then you are wanting for yours. Does your other customer drag his Supra? I'm interested in how it holds up.

Jerry

·
Registered
959 Posts
Beside the Tilton triple carbon clutch(13lbs.) the Exedy twin carbon weighted only 24.5lbs. Compare to RPS clutch with lightweight flywheel weighted 32lbs. and with Chromoly(heavy) flywheel weighted 45lbs. What are going price for Exedy twin carbon anyway, and does they offer rebuild just like RPS?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Jerry,
I would reccommend the triple carbon, but the triple non-carbon should be ok as long as you're not planning on building anymore hp. The benefit to the carbon is it will take all the abuse you can throw at it and if it gets worn out it's only about 400 bucks to get it refreshed. Anyways that's just my .02

James

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
exedy triple (metallic) seems great to me. very good bang for the buck since i got it for a pretty good deal.
i had the tilton and switched to this one. it feels almost just as slippable but i'm not sure how long it will hold up with multiple high RPM slips with loads of hp.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
I think you don't listen very well:)

Clutches are spend the money now or spend the money later, or waste time and labor inbetween. Two clutches will work for SURE at your HP level on the street and track and last for awhile. RPS CC and Tilton. That's it.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
WOTM said:
I think you don't listen very well:)

Clutches are spend the money now or spend the money later, or waste time and labor inbetween. Two clutches will work for SURE at your HP level on the street and track and last for awhile. RPS CC and Tilton. That's it.

I know that you have tried out MANY, MANY clutches but have you ever tried a hyper carbon twin or Triple? (Not asking to be an ass, I am really interested in knowing.)

Mine seems ok for around a 600 and maybe 700whp but I don't know about above that. Just trying to see your opinion of it. I have a brand new RPS carbon with the aluminum flywheel sitting as a paperweight at home that they told me at RPS they will swap out for the chromally flywheel at no charge.

Mine just seems to be working too well to justify spending the time,effort, or money to swap it. Slips well and drivablity is fine when you get used to the engaugement points. My only complaint about the clutch is the rattling it does which it normal for this kind of clutch. The video I just posted in the video section of me doing a flyby shows me almost coming to a stop. If you turn up the volume before I take off you can hear the noise it make when the clutch is pushed in.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i'm using an exedy triple non carbon clutch at over 400rw KW (on a dyno dynamics dyno - reads lower than US dynos)

it is very streetable once you get used to it. i daily drive it without problems, though i still stall about once or twice a week.

holds the power no problems and is relatively very cheap

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
I use an Exedy twin plate metallic. The car revs like a bike with the flywheel, and it's badass for roadcourse. I don't know how it's going to hold up once I switch to T67, we'll see.

Some people hate it because LW flywheels aren't very fun, especially stop and go. All it takes is some time though and it's no problem.

Another sugggestion: Look at the ATS carbon clutches. They have singles, twins, triples. I'm using their carbon 1.5way LSD in my Nissan, it absolutely rocks. When my exedy wears out on the supra I'm going to try an ATS carbon clutch, either twin or triple. Good luck.

Billy

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
irish100p said:
Jerry,
I would reccommend the triple carbon, but the triple non-carbon should be ok as long as you're not planning on building anymore hp. The benefit to the carbon is it will take all the abuse you can throw at it and if it gets worn out it's only about 400 bucks to get it refreshed. Anyways that's just my .02

James
I have heard that the carbon does take more power but also needs to be warmed up before using ie a few slips before racing. Do you know about that at all? I'm coming up blank.

Jerry

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sleeknsilver said:
exedy triple (metallic) seems great to me. very good bang for the buck since i got it for a pretty good deal.
i had the tilton and switched to this one. it feels almost just as slippable but i'm not sure how long it will hold up with multiple high RPM slips with loads of hp.

Thanks for the input, have you takin' it to the track at all? I will be drag racing but only a few times a year not every weekend.

Jerry

·
Registered
379 Posts
Jerry,
Yes exedy recommends that you heat the clutch up with a few slips before draggin it. Mine slipped only once with my 71gtq and when I put the 76gts on it slipped at the track a couple times and on the dyno and on the street, but I had the twin disc and the power I was making was too much for the twin carbon to handle. Exedy recommended the triple carbon for me and well my buddy wanted my twin so bad I had to sell it and taking Ryan's advice I'm moving to the tilton. the RPS would be a sweet clutch, but I'm trying to make a shit ton of power and make a couple of seasons on my clutch and the tilton is just the best thing there is. If you have to go with exedy go with the triple carbon or triple metalic, but I'd really have to advise the rps c/c unless you've got some money laying around then get a tilton and be done with it. Like Ryan said it's either spend the money now or spend the money later either way it's up to you to decide.

James

1 - 20 of 20 Posts