Supra Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Super Moderator
13,797 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
Just put it back together the way it comes. There should be a paint line on the assembly that will come off,so be careful not to remove the line before installation. Just line up the marks and reassemble it in the trans. Also you will need different flywheel bolts if you didn't get them already. Go to your local toyota dealership and get flywheel bolts for a 2001-2005 celica GTS. they work great. they are tapered just like the factory supra bolts just shorter. No one told me about the bolts and when the mechanic went to install the stock flywheel the bolts bottomed out and were WAY to long!
In posts by Kale and others, it's my impression the carbon twin disc is rated at something like 900 lb-ft and the triple disc carbon at 1100 lb-ft. If this is the case, how will the flywheel bolts referenced work in clutches with such high torque ratings?

I have the OS Giken quad disc and it holds very well, but I've sheared flywheel bolts that come with the clutch twice now, once on the dyno (one bolt out of eight) and once on the road going real hard (sheared six of eight bolts this time!) I have SPE-spec flywheel bolts that appear to be doing the job quite well at present, but not enough time has passed.

On the dyno, I've put down as much as 839 lb-ft and that's with tire spin and getting out of it early. On the road, of course, there is even more load; hence, my questions about the Celica GTS flywheel bolts. TIA,

Ken.

· Registered
73 Posts
So my question is, will putting shorter flywheel bolts reduce this rattle when the clutch is pressed in? my mechanic said the bolts on in at the moment are to long thats why it makes so much noise because something hits them when it is pressed in? is this right. I have a ogura twin plate btw.
Also how do i adjust the idle?
thanks

· Member Thingy
1,274 Posts
In posts by Kale and others, it's my impression the carbon twin disc is rated at something like 900 lb-ft and the triple disc carbon at 1100 lb-ft. If this is the case, how will the flywheel bolts referenced work in clutches with such high torque ratings?
This is actually the first I have heard of anyone questioning the shear capacity of the flywheel bolts. I have not personally put more than 600-650 ft-lbs on the celica bolts I had in my twin disk. It is very possible that reaching full load on the clutch could cause some or all the celica bolts to fail. As of yet I have not heard of a failure, but it is definitely something to consider, especially for those of us with quite a bit of power. I don't remember what sort of bolt Exedy recommends, if any, but I'll call them and see what I can find out.

So my question is, will putting shorter flywheel bolts reduce this rattle when the clutch is pressed in? my mechanic said the bolts on in at the moment are to long thats why it makes so much noise because something hits them when it is pressed in? is this right. I have a ogura twin plate btw.
Is the ogura clutch a proprietary design? or is it similar to the exedy line?

i could be wrong but from what i understand above... Stock flywheel is sprung... so no chattering is heard... because it absorbs the vibrations, Aftermarket flywheels are unsprung, so at low rpm, you will hear chattering(vibrations) coming fromteh clutch???
There are two types of chattering present with the Exedy twin plate clutch. First, is the chattering of the transmission, vibration which is not dampened by a dual mass flywheel, but transmitted through the solid lightweight flywheel, and -theoretically- I might add, second is the rattling of the clutch plates with the clutch disengaged. With no load or forward pressure on the clutch disks, they are free to float and rattle around. This is the sound heard when the clutch is depressed. Nothing can really be done about this type, but a heightened idle and soft motor mounts will dampen the transmission chatter.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What about stock flywheel resurfacing. It is suggested not to do it. So is it expected you buy a whole new flywheel everytime you change you clutch?! That would be outrageous. Also if you do not resurface the flywheel when you install a new clutch would it cause it not to properly break in the disc?

· Registered
395 Posts
makaveli200369 said:
so why did the supra need the dual mass and other cars dont? Do other inline 6 like BMW have to use dual mass as well?
Yes. Many of the BWM cars running the i6 engines use dual mass flywheels. Especially those with Getrag trannys (Getrag being a German manufacturer).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.