Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i've been reading a lot about these exhaust cutouts (electric) and the various ways to set them up (dump to atmosphere vs run inline)

some claim to gain power (makes sense running open DP right??) some say it just makes more noise

my main concern is being QUIET while still being able to make big power w/ bpu levels ETC - ESPECIALLY w/ the way cops are ticketing anything w/ an exhaust!!!!

so what do you guys think???

is an electric cutout the way to go for quiet daily drivability, while still being able to get that BIG FLOWING exhaust power at the flip of a switch???

do you think it will even gain power period???

any replies and advice is appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
In regards to gaining power, just wait till Eric sees this thread. He gained a significant amount just by opening his dump.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Haha you are of course going to gain tons of power, but at the expense of extreme noise. I have also heard of a lot of cutouts leaking after a while so make sure you are looking at some good brands.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
hah.. ok i saw it...

I went form 376 to 456 RWHP by just opening the dump which also allowed a few PSI extra.

On my stock turbo I went form 274 RWHP and 3xx tq to 307 and 406 TQ with like 800 RPM spool up faster.

I acutally like the quality of the QTP cutouts better.... I'd say they are absolutely worth every penny... Quite and luxury and then open it and its loud and nasty.... ;)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Zazzn,

How big is your exhaust to start with? I don't think that exhaust cutouts will net huge power gains with the exhaust technology that is out today. If you run a proper 3"- 4" exhaust I can't see the gains being that huge unless you have a small diameter exhaust system or a major restriction in it (crush bent pipes, crappy cats etc).

I can't see these electronic cutouts giving you a proper seal for long either. Whats more annoying than an open exhaust system is one that leaks. The ones where you have to unbolt the block off plate would be a PITA knowing you have to get under your car everytime if you want to uncork the thing.

Most classes in drag racing require you have a muffler anyways (street classes at least), so why even bother. Save your money and put it towards a proper exhaust system IMO.

Danny

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
Yes you are right Danny, I have a HKS 2.75 turbo sport exhuast and a very shitty 2.5" universal cat.

If you have a full blown 4" with no cats and just a can I can't see more then 5-10 HP gain to be honest but the point is I don't and I don't want a huge can.. I want to be silent until I want to be nasty.

My exhaust dump does not leak. I needed to adjust the plate once because it came loose and leaked.

My buddy bobby has never had to adjust his.

Just ensure you put red lock on the threads of the plate that blocks the exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts