·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how easy would it be to change the turbo flange? would it be worth it to do that with the increased flow or should i just get a stock manifold? i'm eventually shooting for 400-450rwhp so anyone else commenting keep this in mind. any suggestions will be taken to heart, i won't bitch at anybody for bitching at me.

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah, i almost forgot. my stock turbo is pretty much trashed, so the t3/4 is always an option.......

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
there is a lot more needed when upgrading a turbo than you may think. i will try and shed some light on the topic seeing how i am currently in the process..

first, you need a new turbo manifold (as you had listed)
then you will need a turbo that fits on to that. most aftermarket turbos will.
the exhaust housing will be different, so you will need a new downpipe, or at least an elbow welded on to your exhaust.
now, youre going to be getting MUCH more air, which means you will need more fuel..
look into a walbro fuel pump, some 550cc injectors, and maybe a fuel pressure regulator.
you will have to "trick" the car into thinking its not getting that much air, so you will need a LEX AFM or FCD.
this is all assuming that you have the basic upgrades covered. if not you have some things to take care of before you need to worry about a new turbo.
the list goes on and on and on........

here is a guide on how to start upgrading
^ check out the FAQ section in general for some easy answers.

it looks like youre located in ohio, as am i. if you have any questios, just ask

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i've seen the faq thread and read it a lot. i'm not sure yet if i'm going to make my own dp or just get becauseican's divorced dp, but i am making my own exhaust from 3 inch ss pipe and i am familiar with the 550 injectors, fuel management, lexus afm, and other mods in that thread you mentioned. with my limited funds though, i can only afford a few different things, and seeing as there's a BIG-ASS hole in my stock exhaust mani i need something fast. i don't want to get something and then change it a year down the road though-- this is my dilemma.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ive got a spare exhaust manifold layin around if you need one. I have recently went with a new turbo setup and let me tell you that its not cheap. I was around 1200 all together, maybe a little more. But if you have the money then t4 turbo is the way to go.

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll look into the t3/t4 as a possible replacement. i'm not sure on the condition of my turbo, i think it might be toast too; i haven't had much time to look at it being at school in MI and my dad isn't looking at it either, so the car ppl in my fam are occupied. just out of curiousity, does anyone have a dimensioned cad drawing of the two turbo flanges (ct26 vs. t3/t4)?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ill just tell you it not even a close fit. If your gunna try run the Ct on the tubular manifold you need to straight up cut the flanges off and reweld them on. Even if you do go with that setup you need to get oil lines and a Waste gate still.

If I was you I would just get a stock manifold and save up to get upgrade parts in the future. Nothing worse then starting a project and running out of money half way through

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Yep you will need WG at the very least and then will have to find someway to seal off the stock WG as well.

Don't forget fabbing up all new lines since the stock oil and water lines won't fit anymore. Then a downpipe, then a 02 sensor location, then a new intake with all the proper fittings, etc etc etc.

The stock mani can flow WELL over 400rwhp and on a limited budget, you shouldn't be attempting to go higher than that anyway reliably. Get the stock manifold that was already offered to you and do a bolt on turbo later. You can always go with the manifold adapter route later on too if you want a true T4 footprint turbo.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
yes, you could always get an adapter. but of course with that money you could get an ebay manifold and just go with that.

what i am doing is: fixing up the car so it runs well. buying all the parts needed for my turbo swap (everything). install it all at once. this way my car will be down the least amount of time possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts