Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy supra lovers,

I need advice again on what i should do about this car im thinking about buying. And i know i get the best advice here.

Heres the stats its an 87 turbo non targa 5 speed.... the motor is orginal and it has 190 kms all the power options work there is zero rust and no dents on the car. Breaks are perfect. Under the car is just as clean, the car comes with a exhaust manifold gasket, metal head gasket and factory orginal rims/ tires and aftermarket rims and tires. The only body issue is the bumper is faded....

the problem with the car is it has an exhaust manifold leak and i dont know if getting over my head with this problem or if its nothing to really worry about.....Dont laugh but Canadian tire checked out the car...it was my only option to have the car look at....So they said the time to work onthe manifold is 2.5 to 5 hours and could be alot more after they take parts off and find more problems maybe. I then called a toyoda dealer and the said the same thing, in that the leak to fix would be about 2.5 hours, but that they could find alot of other problems with the car being thats its 87 and all the gaskets could be garbage after the manifold is taken off........

The guy was orginally asking 4000, and after i took his car in he said 3500 as is...... should i bite the bullet and go for it.......cause the manifold issue is not as big as im thinking or make the guy an even lower offer because of the problem......??????? please help.......is the manifold leak a big concern, please explain.

Also, the drive of the car was perfect no weird noises or smells, it didnt smoke. No black or blue smoke on start up. The only think i noticed was a small lack of power but the must have to do with the leak........small boost.....2 psi or something.......

The more info the better......i really want to buy this car ..... but that manifold leak kinda scares me.....cost wise.

mucho thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wouldnt really worry about it. if your mechanically inclined its not to hard to replace that gasket and other along the way. just did mine the other day. only hard part was the two damn nuts under the turbo for the oil return or w/e had to get under the car with 3.5 feet of extensions and universal to get them but after it was done it really wasnt that bad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Only 2 PSI of boost? Doubt if the exhaust leak would cause you that much of a boost loss. Could be other problems like cracked intercooler hoses, loose clamps etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
probably just need to tighten rear manifold bolts, and it will probably stop leaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts