Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· EchoDeDupra
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some new studs for my exhaust manifold, and after searching, I couldn't find any torque specs for how tight they should go into the manifold.

Does anyone have that number?

Also, how tight should the nuts be?

Thanks

· EchoDeDupra
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like how to tighten down the manifold. I appreciate that.

What about the physical studs themselves?

· Registered
980 Posts
nowhere in the FSM say anything about that, I think it work like the head studs, don't over tighten it when you torqued down the manifold it'll tighten it together.

· Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Hey bud, I just put mine in until they stopped turning and went about a 1/8 turn more. No issues after a few years. As for the nuts that tq the header down, I used a sequence known as "tight as a motherfucker" and no leaks or issues there either

· EchoDeDupra
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't he say 29 ft/lbs at the top of his post?
Oh thanks... I missed that when I read the sentence right below it. :1poke:

nowhere in the FSM say anything about that, I think it work like the head studs, don't over tighten it when you torqued down the manifold it'll tighten it together.
Hey bud, I just put mine in until they stopped turning and went about a 1/8 turn more. No issues after a few years. As for the nuts that tq the header down, I used a sequence known as "tight as a motherfucker" and no leaks or issues there either
Awesome! In the past I've used the "tight as a motherfucker" method, but I've been taking my time on this build, so if there is a quote "right way", I might as well do it.

I'm working on making a basic picture tutorial for installing a single turbo kit on a 2jz-gte, and I just don't want to tell someone the wrong information.

· Premium Member
4,037 Posts
If you're installing a single turbo kit, you're going to have problems accessing the nuts if you're running a tubular manifold.

I tightened all the nuts in FSM sequence and in stages but I used slither's "tight as a motherfucker" approach on the nuts I couldn't get a torque wrench on. I properly torqued the nuts I could access with a torque wrench.

· Just an old *******
2,886 Posts
The technical term for tightening the nuts is RFT, (really Fucking Tight). Other than that this is spot on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.