Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, it is possible to use an existing muffler with a 2.5" inlet and covert it to a 3" inlet to be used in a 3" cat-back exaust?

Also, it seems like pretty much every turbo supra on here has a 3" exhaust, HOWEVER, almost every single exhaust guy i have talked to has said that there will not be any gains from going to a 3". Ive talked to about 6 exhaust guys, and they are all pretty convinced that the 2.5" stock exhaust is more than enough and that going 3" might even result in a decrease in hp due to the lowered back pressure. Are the exhaust guys that I have talked to correct?

·
Boostless
686 Posts
The exhaust guys you talked to are incorrect. There are significant, proven gains when upgrading to a 3" exhaust.

It would be possible to use a reducer of some sort to mate the 2.5" muffler to 3" piping. Similar to this:

·
Not so fast!
457 Posts
^ probably for you turbo guys.

I'm uneasy about going 3" on mine though, I might. But I'm considering 2 1/2" the whole way through.

But for turbo drivers 3" will definately show some gains. Hell someone I know driving an Evo I think went 3" and saw a 20+ hp gain with an ecu tweak as well... I think.

might've also ditched the cat for a test pipe.

·
7m > 2jz > 1jz
1,518 Posts
are u n/a??
or just dumb??
3" full system straight through no cats gives u a huge gain. over the stock 2.5".
-sean

ps.
ur exhaust guys are stupid!!!!!!!

·
SUPRAF0RUMS TROLL
1,610 Posts
there are wayyyy too many exhaust threads... SEARCH... and you will find everyones opinion... now... the bigger the diameter pipe... the more HP

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
for turbo cars...3 inch is proven to give u more horse...for NA it may not be tha best idea...search and u will find...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts