Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Nur spec full cat back on the car. Since install i have had this annoying rattle. Its not either of the heatshields around the old resinators or muffler. I thought it was them but someone was standing outside the car and they said they heard it from the front more. It only happens at low RPMs Is there another shield around the last cat? Is that it? Any other guys with same issue. I havent had time to lift the car to check it out so if anyone could let me know what it is before hand it would save a lot of time. Any NUR guys have same prob and fix? Please let me know...it makes me sound like a rice bucket with the damn rattle.

Donald

·
Registered
580 Posts
yeah i had the same exact problem. My car would make a rattling noise at 1k rpms. I took it to my mechanic and he welded something. No more noise.

edit: i have a nur spec too

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
just take it to a good muffler shop and have them find out where its rattling.

·
Big Member
570 Posts
mine used to rattle towards the back. theres a bolt that would always come loose and it finally fell out. some loctite wouldve probably worked. i dont have a pic but crawl under your car and look around the gas tank where the exhaust connects to the car. you can see it by just looking under the back

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. I might just take it to a shop. That might be easier. and your right supraman35 cuz its right around 1k

·
11,217 Posts
I dunno... my car used to rattle a lot, all over. It was just the bolts on the driveshalf, tranny, etc. They were all loose and shit. I tightened them and they were good. Too bad tranny no working now :(

·
Registered
580 Posts
Smokinsupra95 said:
thanks guys. I might just take it to a shop. That might be easier. and your right supraman35 cuz its right around 1k
yeah im not 100% sure what my mechanic did but it was something very simple cause he did not charge me for it. If you are still having problems I could find out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If its rattling only at low rpm then its probably the first exhaust bracket up front that comes off the tranny I think. My bracket cracked. It was a hairline crack right in the middle, very hard to even see. I replaced the bracket ( about $ 35.00 ) No more rattle.

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Are you using the same rubber bands to hold you tail end pipe up? If so, check to make sure they are tight because my exhuast was rattling from there but sounded like it was coming from middle of the car. Just replace the rubber bands. To check just start you car, when you hear the rattle push down slightly on the tail pipe. If it stops then it might be the rubber bands. Also try shifting you tail pipe down, up and to the sides by physically man handling it, " not to rough though". Thats what I did and the rattling stoped.

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good info...ill try some of these ideas today and if not it will go 2 the exhaust shop later this afternoon

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My exhaust rattles but i have a different type of rattle because my nur spec rattles at high rpm and i have to hold the rpms around 4k and it will start to rattle. It's annoying as hell but i can't figure out what it is.

Reactions: Smokinsupra95

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FINALLY....i got off my lazy ass and to it to the boys down the street(actually wayyyy down the street but anyway). The guy was like...it sounds like its coming from the brakes...so he took it for a ride around the block...prolly just an excuse to drive a supra...haha anyway...he couldnt figure it out either so he through it up on a lift still running. One of his boys pushed up on the second cat and he noticed the whole bracket was cracked. GEDDY LEE YOU CALLED IT when he would push up that annoying sound would happen. $30 later and 15 in a waiting room and they welded it right up for me. Sounds good as help...i dont have to constantly fear pulling up next to an authentic rice machine and start my bean can rattle. God forbid a supra try and befriend a civic. Anyway i will try and get some pics up. All i had was my camera phone so i took two pics and ill get them up shortly. If you are in any grreat rush to see you can send me ur cell and ill text the pic to you. Well i guess thats a wrap. Thanks for all the advice. Rep points for EVERYONE :bigthumb:

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
huh? i cant leave u points because i left you some before...it says spread the points before giving them to you...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts