Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Crazy Member
330 Posts
Hey Spoolin... if you are in Canada try a place called KBC or AVENUE Industrial... I am pretty sure they stock all the metric taps and dies.

I have one sitting on my desk right now and checked it... M10 x 1.25

Cheers,

Bart

· Registered
7,853 Posts
PS you CAN upgrade to 7/16 studs as that is what I did with mine ;) and will do with every head I get. :)

· feeding your habit
3,842 Posts
pretty sure it's an M12x1.25. If you are replacing a stud because it pulled out, be sure to use a helicoil. Get it right or the remaining options are not pretty.

Using an english stud with a metric car, is OK, it will work, but whoever works on the car after you will curse you, especially if you only do a stud or two, not all of them.

Go to www.mcmastercarr.com and you will have a tap tomorrow morning. They also sell helicoil kits. If you are really in a rush though, most autozones, etc all carry these, prices aren't too bad either. I suggest helicoiling. Cleaning up threads rarely works if they are weak. When tapping be sure to drill the proper pilot hole and use a thick lube (diff oil) when you tap. If you havent tapped before, keep in mind:

drill the hole straight (perp to the head)
-mark the bit so you don't go deeper than you want :eek: (tape, sharpie, etc)
-lube the tap a lot
-be sure you have some way to hold the tap so it is perpendicular to the hole. The tap won't follow the hole if you are doing a shallow tap, so you have to guide it well. Also, don't wobble it or you will have weak threads.
-turn 1/4 turn in, then back off to break the chip. turn 1/4 turn in, then back off to -break the chip. repeat. Backing off means, just back off a little, you will feel the chip snap off.
-clean the lube out, and insert the helicoil or stud.
-follow directions for breaking the helicoil tang off....

and you will be golden :)

· Registered
7,853 Posts
98mkiv said:
pretty sure it's an M12x1.25. If you are replacing a stud because it pulled out, be sure to use a helicoil. Get it right or the remaining options are not pretty.

Using an english stud with a metric car, is OK, it will work, but whoever works on the car after you will curse you, especially if you only do a stud or two, not all of them.

Go to www.mcmastercarr.com and you will have a tap tomorrow morning. They also sell helicoil kits. If you are really in a rush though, most autozones, etc all carry these, prices aren't too bad either. I suggest helicoiling. Cleaning up threads rarely works if they are weak. When tapping be sure to drill the proper pilot hole and use a thick lube (diff oil) when you tap. If you havent tapped before, keep in mind:

drill the hole straight (perp to the head)
-mark the bit so you don't go deeper than you want :eek: (tape, sharpie, etc)
-lube the tap a lot
-be sure you have some way to hold the tap so it is perpendicular to the hole. The tap won't follow the hole if you are doing a shallow tap, so you have to guide it well. Also, don't wobble it or you will have weak threads.
-turn 1/4 turn in, then back off to break the chip. turn 1/4 turn in, then back off to -break the chip. repeat. Backing off means, just back off a little, you will feel the chip snap off.
-clean the lube out, and insert the helicoil or stud.
-follow directions for breaking the helicoil tang off....

and you will be golden :)
oh i agree

but no I did all the studs :)

For some reason the 7m head tend to lose the oem studs and we end up tapping the original back in. Bigaaron from d

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.