Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Just wondering, How Much of a Difference in Power can i Expect if I Have a 2-2.25 inch exhaust put on my Car with a Straight thru or Turbo Muffler?? What about if I Added a Hi-flow Cat? And finally what if a I Added aftermarket header's???

Ok, Now An off-topic Question, what Kind of tire's does everyone have on their MKII? Any Disappointments?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That exhaust setup might get you 10 to 15hp with a great Jaguar XKE type sound. :D Get Aaron G's intake pipe and a K&N filter for another ~8hp. :)

For tires, go with the Falkens. Mine still have lots tread enduring 30,000+ miles under the punishment of a 291rwhp 7mgte.:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, after working on the engine, intake, and misc. other parts, I completely abused the exhaust. The muffler fell off, and all the shit in the CAT blew out.
Everyone who heard it said that my exhaust sounded bad ass, so it wasn't too bad.....till my cat came loose, got a few leaks, and the lifters started to tick.....damn, there goes another $800.
I've ordered the headers for it, with copper gaskets, and a 2.5" exhaust.....

Also, tip...though not legal there are three ways to get around the catalytic converter.
1)run straight pipe and say "fuck it".
2)Take the casing off the cat, and secure it sround the installed exhaust.
3)stick a crowbar in one end of your CAT while your car is running, and whack it with a hammer till you clear a path.

Note: The first two are illegal in most states, and the third is a "whoops, I didn't know." if you miraculously got caught.

My '82 is running 215 HP.

When I get the money, and find a shop that'll do it, I'll get it bored out to at least a 3.3, and a port and polish. Once I finish all my NA mods, I'll add a turbo with and intercooler.....sigh....time isn't on my side.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I went with cheap touring tires ($240 for the set). They don't last too well under burnouts.........:DJ

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got the Pacesetter Monza Cat-back exhaust from JC Whitney for Just over $100 & I love it. Some people think it's a crappy exhaust, but it does imporve HP & sound really nice for the low price tag. Dosen't look bad either.

As far as tires go, you can't go wrong w/ Falken's. A good quality tire for the money. I've been really dissapointed with the Dunlops that were on the car when I bought it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
toyodasupra1985 said:
Hey, Just wondering, How Much of a Difference in Power can i Expect if I Have a 2-2.25 inch exhaust put on my Car with a Straight thru or Turbo Muffler?? What about if I Added a Hi-flow Cat? And finally what if a I Added aftermarket header's???

Timing, Intake, headers and exhuast are usually worth 15hp on a 5M-GE. As for the cat question, get rid of the stock one. Mine had 125K miles and I could notice a difference without it. I tried both a high flow Random technology cat and a straight pipe. At the track I couldn't really tell a difference, it was within the difference from run to run. From the seat of my pants, the straight pipe reved better at 5500rpm, the RT cat had better low end torque. Since I drove my car on the street and ususally only reved to 5500rpm except when racing, I went with the RT cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts