Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need an exhaust with more ground clearance than the HKS SuperDragger. Problem is, I've never shopped for exhausts with this being my primary motivation so I could use a bit of help. Anyway, my car is lowered with Eibach Springs and the SuperDragger is way too low for comfort for me. I'm including a picture of the HKS as it sits on my car, which I'd estimate to be less than 2 inches from the ground...certainly too low for me.

Anyway, I've owned a Blitz Nur Spec in the past which I know sits pretty darn high and also an Apex N1, which was better than this SuperDragger but not my ideal exhaust. I also have a hunch that the new style TRD and the HKS Titanium sit very high, making them both great choices. I'd just like to hear from those among you who may have some first hand experience with these, so I can make sure I'm making a good choice. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well it is not the Greddy PE:eek: that is what I have but I remember reading about a new exhaust recently that the can was oval...May have been TRD??
Glad to see you back in the saddle;)
Jeff

W

·
0 Posts
I had Greddy PE and it hung very low. I thought about HKS Ti but didn't feel it was worth the price. I end up with Thermal R&D for about $430. Its all stainless stell one piece system with straight 3" piping (no resonator), since there is no resonator its gives much better clearance and the exhaust tone is mean too.

Wayne

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wayne,

That sounds very compelling based on the price and configuration. Do you have any pictures of it on your car? Thanks for the information.

Steve T.

Wayne Chung said:
I had Greddy PE and it hung very low. I thought about HKS Ti but didn't feel it was worth the price. I end up with Thermal R&D for about $430. Its all stainless stell one piece system with straight 3" piping (no resonator), since there is no resonator its gives much better clearance and the exhaust tone is mean too.

Wayne

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Steve,

The problem with your Super Drager is that it's rotated clockwise quite a bit from optimal. Try loosening the downpipe bolts and then retightening them while pushing the elbow under the differential upwards. Normally you can gain upto 1" of clearance by this method.

I honestly don't see how any exhaust can get better ground clarance than the Drager, not counting the ones that go 1-to-2-to-1 and go AROUND the diff... all the ones that go under the diff will hang low under the diff, by the clearance amount plus the pipe thickness.

Personally the Super Drager is my favorite exhaust. I have no ground clearance issues with mine at all; never have.

The can of the Drager actually sits pretty high compared to some. Check out www.mkiv.com/techarticles/exhaust for pics of all the exhaust... you'll notice the can of the new style TRD actually hangs damn low...

Andi

P.S. Congrats on the car. :)

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton Andi. When it's in the shop for the alignment, I'll bring this up and see if we can't move it around a bit. This is precisely why I posted a picture of my current setup...I was hoping someone like yourself might come along with an observation about it. It's the first SuperDragger I've ever had, so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. An extra inch of clearance would probably relieve all my problems, so I really hope I can get it. :)

Thanks for the kind words about my getting another Supra. I feel so relieved to by a MKIV owner again! :D

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahahahahaha! I just realized that two of the pictures they used on mkiv.com for the Blitz Nur Spec exhaust are ones that I took of mine. :)

That Thermal R&D unit looks really nice, just as Wayne indicated. :D

Steve T.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i used to have the greddy SP and if i remember correct it sits just like stock, because it uses the same paths and hangers as stock. definitely dont get a tanabe RM, thats what i have now, my car is lowered with eibachs and its REALLY close to the ground.

on a side note, if you are interested in the thermal, you might want to check out www.groupbuycenter.com someone on there posted a sale on thermal exhaust and had the supra one pretty cheap. thermal quality is awsome too.

B

·
0 Posts
The Thermal has great ground clearance for a single pipe system, the piping tucks up really high. I've had the Thermal and a GReddy SP, and they both are about the same clearance-wise. The Thermal is much louder though. Maybe the Thermal had a hair less clearance on driveway approach.

While we are on the subject of feature cars, notice how the car with the Thermal and the GReddy SP on the mkiv exhaust link look alot alike...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts