Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to use no search as an excuse to ask a question I'm sure has been answered many times ;)

I'm helping a buddy pull a 1J out of a supra and put it into another supra.

The shop that did the original swap did (in my opinion) a horrible job... they didn't extend the harness, but took a hole saw and drilled a new hole to run the wires into the fire wall... ugh.

I am planning on extending the harness for him, but I wanted to ask a few things first.

1: Are there any wires that are not simply copper stranded? Ex. shielded, etc. If so, How many and what is normally used to extend those wires?

2: How many feet do I need to extend the stock 1J harness to put the ECU in the stock USDM location?

3: Is there a link somewhere (I read the stickies) to what needs to be modified on the body harnesses? In the donor car the oil pressure gauge didn't work, and the wiring on the body harness looked like shit... Is there somewhere I can read up on exactly how I should do this?

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Why don't you like the harness routed that way? Never have to worry about wiring gremlins. But if you do extend it, it is 18 inches.

·
jdm junk collector
475 Posts
Props to you on trying to make things right for your buddy.

Chris stop reading the internet and put your car together already, people that dont extend their harness are just lazy and even came up with an excuse like you wont have any wiring "gremlins". Its like anything else do it right., and everything works the way it should.

Just trying to look out for you and your clean mk3, your a grown ass man dont fall into that kid shit.

"SAVING MK3'S SINCE 92"

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
What? It is not about being lazy, I don't want to hack a harness. Who are you to call lazy? You calling Driftmotion lazy? Last I checked, they don't extend harnesses anymore. 80+ wires being cut and soldiered can cause all kinds of problems down the road over time. I think running the harness over the turbo downpipe was dumb on Toyota's part anyways. My car will get done when it gets done. Remember, I have a full-time job, do consulting, and have a family of five. I don't get to lay around and hit the pipe like the Grip boys. Quit talking smack all the time on my posts Rob, I am getting tired of it.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
hahah..

There are a total of 7 sheilded wires.... (well pairs on some)

Cam, Cam, Crank, o2, o2, knock 1, and knock 2
the cam and crank sensors have 2 wires each inside the sheilding....

1jz-gte.us has the wiring diagrams...

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why don't you like the harness routed that way? Never have to worry about wiring gremlins. But if you do extend it, it is 18 inches.
Well, first off its totally upto Josh what we end up doing, but I am just really weary of drilling a big hole in the firewall, and running wires in a way they were never designed to be ran...

Its not really something I can put into words, I just feel it would be the right way to do it *shrug* :)

It's all copper except for the knock sensors IIRC, which are shielded.
And what type wire do most people use for the shielded wires?

You calling Driftmotion lazy? Last I checked, they don't extend harnesses anymore.
That is an interesting tid-bit of info right thur. :p

80+ wires being cut and soldiered can cause all kinds of problems down the road over time.
This is true... on the other hand, I have been soldering and heat shrinking wires for about 4 years, and to my knowledge have never had a bad solder joint, or a joint fail. Not saying its never happened, I've just never been made aware of it :)

I think running the harness over the turbo downpipe was dumb on Toyota's part anyways.
hah, this is true, I agree... but that's where the factory hole is, as well as the mount for the ECU... somethings I like to try and keep factory.

hahah..

There are a total of 7 sheilded wires.... (well pairs on some)

Cam, Cam, Crank, o2, o2, knock 1, and knock 2
the cam and crank sensors have 2 wires each inside the sheilding....

1jz-gte.us has the wiring diagrams...
Thanks man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts