Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about going with an Aeromotive external fuel pump until I heard how loud and annoying they can become. Is this just hype, or is it true. I currently have two in-tank pumps, but, I really like the look of the steel braided hose coming from the bottom of the tank. C'mon, are they THAT loud?
Thanks, Mike D.;)

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
YES - they are loud. I use to run an external pump...complete with big 'ol steel braided lines coming out of the tank....looked cool...sounded...LOUD - not in cool turbo/exhaust way either.

Plus, there's always the thrill of worring about knocking the line off of your tank on a sharp incline...etc....

Jay

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Yes, my car currently has an external fuel pump and it's loud as hell. However, I don't have a traditional trunk area either (meaning there is essentially nothing there to sound deaden), so that is undoubtably contributing to the sound. It is very noticeable.

Steve T.
1995 Supra TT hardtop (race car now equipped with a working heater, street alignment, fully functional power steering, stock crank pulley, and semi-adjustable seat)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
mounting makes a difference

SX, Aeromotive, and Paxton are LOUD. My solid mounted blue Paxton pump is louder than the ATI blower on my Mustang from inside the car :eek: Weldon are higher pitched I'm told. If you mount them so that they are isolated from the body they will be quieter but this kind of mount can be difficult to create. Mercedes makes some rubber isolated mounts intended for an airbox that I've been told should isolate the pump well - I've not yet tried this. I think other companies use similiar mounts but the Mercedes units were highly recommended, apparently they don't use rubber that can detriorate quickly.

IF you solidly mount it to the body it will use the metal panel as a resonating board - like a violin or guitar does. Dynamat on the panel WILL help dampen this sound but not enough to really matter if you're in the car - trust me!:rolleyes:

Lastly, as I discovered on my project car, the braided line itself will hum and vibrate like mad too! My car's line vibrated like a guitar string and anywhere it touched the body (bad!) it transmitted noise. Even my regulator couldn be heard when it wasn't isolated! Adel rubber cushioned clamps and careful routing will mostly fix the problem with the braided line as will rubber hose slipped over it on contact points. That pump is a Holley Blue pump that's nowhere near as loud as the high end EFI pumps but it was driving me crazy with all the noise. That car has full Dynamat, more insulation, and full carpet too. It's amazing how the sound can travel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts