Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i couldnt get my wastegate to work properly. I took it off and ive been told the diaphragm is ripped... so i opened it up and i cant physically see any tears?

Heres what i did, i hooked up my mini tire compressor to it and it opens up a bit at 10-13psi (cant tell needle jumps around too much). Its got a 14.7 spring in it. This is with the compressor hooked up to the side port. Now, for some reason air is coming out the top port? I beleive this is an indication of the diaphragm actually being torn?

Anyways let me know what you guys think, i need this done asap!

Thanks

Ang

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i dont know what kind of wg you're using... but i'm guessing they're all the same pretty much in how they work. mine happens to be a tial, with a 1bar spring and cap. my top port is just open, because the air that is being moved from the plunger moving around is going to move a little air and it has to go somewhere. the top port i believe is for ebc's that use that and the side port so that its solenoids can control boost.... hope that helps, let me know if you need any other help with that.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dude, problem is mine consistently lets air out of that port. I think the diaphragm is usually whats supposed to keep that from happening...

Ang

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
have you tried to install a different spring or anything? if so, you might want to go back and double check your work. if not, then take the cap off, and check out the diaphram... just be careful, because that thing has a hefty amount of force pushing on it. you might want to try to unload that spring pressure with a c-clamp or something when you unbolt the cap. i just pushed down on it with my knee. anyway, when you get that cap off, you can check out that diaphram in there and see what condition its in. the wg is a real real simple design, you can see more or less all its parts when you remove the cap. good luck.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
yeah, it's ripped. if you blow into one part, you should not have air come out the other. The other port is for boost reference. Most times it's open to atmosphere so the boost you run is relative to atmospheric pressure. If it's plugged or solenoid controlled, you run in reference to some mechanical setting. This is most often used in high altitude settings like when rally cars do hill climbs.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i thought, thanks guys, i ordered a new diaphragm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts