Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... after putting the first 8 miles on my new motor... actully the first 8 miles I have ever driven in a supra... i decided to put a cd player in:

I picked up one of those wire haress kits and wired everthing up... but i am a little confused....

The head unit has a blue wire labled antenna rem 0.1 amp and another blue labeled power antenna..... i read in another post to hook them all together.... is this true??

2nd... the factory stereo has been messed with by the PO... so i found a shielded wire cut? the anntenna wire is there but there is a second wire taped to it :dunno:

3rd... sperate from the two radio plugs there is a blue wire with a yellow stripe and a single connecter on it.. .it was not hooked to anything... .any ideas where it goes??

4th.... NO power antenna... i was looking in the trsm wire diagrams and it shows radio fuse 1 and 2... 1 is 7.5amp in the kick pannel.... but 2 is a 20amp and I can't find it.... Where is it located??

Thanks for your help and reading my looong post

-Dustin

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
catch2nd said:
2nd... the factory stereo has been messed with by the PO... so i found a shielded wire cut? the anntenna wire is there but there is a second wire taped to it :dunno:
-Dustin
not sure about the wiring, as I just used a newer stock radio -- but that second wire is most likely for the second antenna, the one in the rear glass. Originally, it would have had a connector like the antenna wire, but a little smaller, and the original radio has two plug-ins.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
yep, he's right. one ant lead for the power ant and other for the glass ant.

the pwr ant and remote wires, do not hook those together!
the pwr ant is to make the ant go up and down when you have it on tuner mode. if you switch to cd it will retract.
the remote wire is to turn an amp off and on when you turn on the head unit. if you hook that to the ant it will stay up anytime the head unit is on.
if you are not running an amp, just leave that wire unhooked.

dave

·
just walk away....
136 Posts
if you're runnin a pioneer like mine then the antenna stays up all the time when the head is turned on anyway, regardless of the source. Still, don't put them together, it's pointless. I had no idea there was a second antenna in the rear glass, WTF for?

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
lisiecki1 said:
if you're runnin a pioneer like mine then the antenna stays up all the time when the head is turned on anyway, regardless of the source. Still, don't put them together, it's pointless. I had no idea there was a second antenna in the rear glass, WTF for?
supposedly, the (factory) radio switches between whichever has the best reception. Don't know if there is another reason or not. The antenna is the wires in the rear glass at the bottom, below the defroster(looks like part of the defroster wires).

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any ideas on what the other loose blue and yellow wire is..... it has a single clip on it

Thanks for all the info guys!!

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
catch2nd said:
any ideas on what the other loose blue and yellow wire is..... it has a single clip on it

Thanks for all the info guys!!

I checked. the only blue with yellow stripe wire in the radio area is from the 20 amp "DOME" fuse that provides a constant 12 volts to the radio/tape player plug for memory hold circuits or to the amp. under the seat than back to the radio/cd player AND also to the power antenna so that it can retract when the ignition is turned off. The 20 amp dome fuse is in the engine fuse box near the battery. It is a contant hot feed.
The power antenna and its control relay are fed from 4 different fuses. 1) the 7.5 amp radio ( gray wire in to the radio thru the on/off switch than out to the pink with blue stripe wire to the pwr antenna), 2) the 20 amp dome ( blue w/yellow stripe wire to the red or both red and blue wires depending on whether you had the factory radio/tape or radio/cd with amp. under the pass. seat set-up, 3) the 15 amp cig. lighter ( blue with red stripe wire) and 4) the 15 amp ECU- IG (brown with red stripe wire).
~ mike

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SupraMikeCT said:
I checked. the only blue with yellow stripe wire in the radio area is from the 20 amp "DOME" fuse that provides a constant 12 volts to the radio/tape player plug for memory hold circuits or to the amp. under the seat than back to the radio/cd player AND also to the power antenna so that it can retract when the ignition is turned off. The 20 amp dome fuse is in the engine fuse box near the battery. It is a contant hot feed.
The power antenna and its control relay are fed from 4 different fuses. 1) the 7.5 amp radio ( gray wire in to the radio thru the on/off switch than out to the pink with blue stripe wire to the pwr antenna), 2) the 20 amp dome ( blue w/yellow stripe wire to the red or both red and blue wires depending on whether you had the factory radio/tape or radio/cd with amp. under the pass. seat set-up, 3) the 15 amp cig. lighter ( blue with red stripe wire) and 4) the 15 amp ECU- IG (brown with red stripe wire).
~ mike

Mike.... you are the balllls, if i cann't figure out whats wrong now i need a slap!!

Thanks for the great post!!

Where in CT are you located? I'm over by the clinton shopping outlets

Thanks- Dustin

·
just walk away....
136 Posts
nik88tsupra said:
Use the blue wire labelled antenna to power up your amps!!! :jerkit:

no, no, no....antenna wire to power your antenna up/down, remote wire to control amps. In the event you don't have a remote wire you can use the antenna wire because in that case the radio powers the antenna wire constant.

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
catch2nd said:
Thanks for the great post!!

Where in CT are you located? I'm over by the clinton shopping outlets

Thanks- Dustin
You're welcome. Clinton crossing? So you must be near exit 63 or 64 off 95
I'm in Wallingford near Gaylord, about 15 miles north of New Haven.
~ mike

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea... about 10 min off of exit 63.... one of my girlfriends lives in Northford... prob 10 min from wallingford

1 - 12 of 12 Posts