Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has been running fine w/ no problems lately, until yesterday...tried to start it but i just get an extremely rapid clicking noise from within the interior.. when i turn the key, everything clicks it seems and all the lights flicker on and off really fast.. like 20 times per second. sometimes even the headlights pop up then go back in when turning the key. seems like all the accessories go crazy when i turn the key. the engine doesnt even begin to turn over.. i dont think the battery is dead, all accessories work fine and all the lights are bright. i just recently spliced the avc-r into the ECU and it still ran fine, but when i put the dash back together i think maybe i might have loosened a wire.. all the splices look fine, no shorts so i doubt it has to do with that. im stumped :scratch:

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
sounds like a bad relay to me....
i havent looked down there in a while so i cant remember whats down there but itsin the driver's side kick panel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i had those same symptoms when my battery was low. just my .02 cents

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why would a low battery cause such strange symptoms? seems kinda odd...

·
Registered
347 Posts
the battery doesn't have enough voltage to turn the starter, so the realy just opens and closes really fast.. acts the same way to pretty much all cars. try jumping it, or charging the battery, should solve your problem. the minimum voltage required to start an engine is 9.6V, maybe a lil more depending on the engine.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Ya, battery.
Where I work, we kill batterys all the time, and when charging them they can have enough juice to play the radio and such, but you try to start it, and it does Exactly what your describing, and this is mostly on Fords, but their all the same really.

It's your battery.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup its the battery... the lights struggle to come on now after turning the key. thanks for the help guys. if i have a lot of white/greenish powdery stuff around the negative terminal does that signify anything? just trying to figure out what would kill my battery all of a sudden. maybe it cant hold a charge anymore, i hadnt driven it in a week after all, but was able to start it last sunday. unless something is now draining the battery without me knowing

·
Supra teacher 101
613 Posts
^ its called Corrosion. get a battery Terminal Cleaner, there like 10 bucks... you can also put some Copper antisea, to make sure your getting the best current etc from your battery

·
Registered
689 Posts
yup battery, that shit happens when you try to jump a car but you didnt leave it connected for long enough

·
Phantom Flipper
638 Posts
Superjustin13 said:
^ its called Corrosion. get a battery Terminal Cleaner, there like 10 bucks... you can also put some Copper antisea, to make sure your getting the best current etc from your battery

You can also soak the battery terminals in seperate bowls or cups that are filled with Coca Cola. The Coke eats that corrosion right up and leaves them nice and shiny!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright another wierd thing happened... i managed to jumpstart the car then let it idle for like 15 minutes.. i checked on the car and the temp needle was at the 3/4 mark when its usually slightly below the 1/2 mark at all times..so i shut it down immediately. would a bad battery connection/low charge have anything to do with controlling the thermostat?

·
Registered
259 Posts
you have a bad ground and/or bad wiring to your battery. inspect the body and engine grounds and the positive cable connection. if they are frayed or corroded (which they are) replace them

·
Registered
626 Posts
csolstad said:
alright another wierd thing happened... i managed to jumpstart the car then let it idle for like 15 minutes.. i checked on the car and the temp needle was at the 3/4 mark when its usually slightly below the 1/2 mark at all times..so i shut it down immediately. would a bad battery connection/low charge have anything to do with controlling the thermostat?
As was said, no; the thermostat is controlled completely by coolant temperature physically acting on it--it's not electric. Nonetheless, make sure the ground to the battery is nice and clean. Your ECU will thank you for that. If the car has never gotten warm at idle, say in traffic, do replace the thermostat before you blow the headgasket on your next drive.

About the reason why the low battery causes relay oscillation: the main power relay will open when you turn the key, but as soon as it does, it provides power to various other systems on the car--especially if you try to start it. When it does this, battery voltage drops due to the load. In your case, once that drop occurs, the relay itself doesn't have enough current to stay in the engaged position, and its spring pulls it back. This removes the load from the battery, voltage rises, and the relay is able to re-engage again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts