Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im Looking To Get A Lightning.

I Dont Know What Year To Get

I Really Dont Want Anything Older Than A 2001 Model.

Is There Any Difference Between The 1999-2004 Models.

I Know That Power Changed Somewhere Arount 2002 Or 03 Not Really Sure

Any Other Reason Why I Shoud Buy A Particular Year.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
EDIT: About getting certian years, it doesnt really matter. Get the year you think looks the best, most of exterior is interchangeable. Go to www.svtperformance.com if you want more information on the truck.

My best friend owned one. He had a 99'. Its a Killer truck. Good looking, fast, and loud! The only real difference is just a little styling. But if you decide to Mod it DONT go the cheap way. Actually build the motor, don't just throw a pulley kit on it.

Another note, if you roll it the car it weights about 4500 lbs so if you land on your roof you will be crushed inside. :sadwavey: :sadwavey:

My friend rolled his about 4 months ago in the rain. I wish i still had pictures. It was amazing he made it out alive. He was going up a hill at 65 mph and his back end cameout. He had 503hp/575ft-lbs and since the backend is so light, it comes out REALLY easy. So be safe if you do get one! Its a really really really fast truck! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

-Cave

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
99-00 they had 360 HP, in 01 they got the 380 HP and 450 lb-ft of torque. You want a 01 or newer.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
He means he is looking at them too, but unfortunately he wants a manual - so its ruling it out ....I think...

·
Registered
4 Posts
You will actually want a an 03 or 04 if you can swing it. They have better heads (more threads for the spark plugs) so you dont have to worry about blowing one out.

If you want a stick your other only choice is a dodge ram srt-10 regular cab. You can find some use ones in the low to mid 30's if you can muster it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
philosophico said:
You will actually want a an 03 or 04 if you can swing it. They have better heads (more threads for the spark plugs) so you dont have to worry about blowing one out.

If you want a stick your other only choice is a dodge ram srt-10 regular cab. You can find some use ones in the low to mid 30's if you can muster it.
This is very true. 99-02 L's have a problem with stripping threads and blowing out spark plugs. The 03-04 have the updated heads with more threads to prevent this.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sal. how do you like yours? ever take it to the track?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My Father in Law has one. Very quick truck. Its a great looking and reliable vehicle. Guzzles the gas though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know v8 is gonna be a bitch although my supra is pretty bad on gas too

·
Registered
353 Posts
I really enjoy the truck. It serves the purpose as a daily driver well . It is a very functional sporty truck. Never been to the track with it, hopefully soon.

Bang for the buck and considering it is more functional than the standard SRT-10, the Lightning is a great choice.

I considered the SRT-10, but not having a payload/towing capacity worth anything, I decided against it. Especially considering the price difference of ~$15k. The new Quad Cab SRT-10 is supposed to be a more functional sport truck.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Yeah I would not spend that much money on a non functional truck like the srt-10. I would only get the quad cab, but I believe it only comes in Auto. Plus with the Lightning, throw in about $1000 for mods and you'll be blowing the SRT-10's away anyways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts