Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I head out to an LS1 dyno day at XoticMotorsports on Saturday to see what his 94 Supra TT would do. It's BPU with 264 cams and stock twins. My brother has a 3" cutout on his downpipe. Since we were allowed 4 pulls, I decided the best way to utilize those pulls was to do one or two pulls with the cutout plate on, then remove the cutout plate for the other two pulls to see the difference. Only problem was the plate was on there with two wing nuts and a nut of unknown size. So I spend some time asking others there if anyone had an adjustable wrench so I could get that nut off. After a few hours, a friend finally finds one I could borrow.

When we got there, there was like 17 cars on the waiting list in front of us. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot and parking was limited to some spots on the gravel. Since I wanted to find a spot where I could park and slightly jack up the car to get access to the cutout, I parked in front of the dumpster, halfway on the paved surface. The owner of the place, Art, comes out screaming at me telling me I couldn't park there and had to move the car over to the gravel spots. My brother and a friend tells him that we wanted to be on the paved surface so that we could jack the car up to get access to the cutout plate. He screams at us saying that we couldn't jack our car up on his property because it'll ruin the paved surface. He also found out that we wanted to pour a few gallons of race gas into the gas tank, and yelled at us for that, saying that we can't pour any gas while on the property in case anything spilled. He was telling us we had to go to a gas station down the street to do that shit. Plus he also had the nerve to say we can't do any work on our car on his property, unless we're inside the shop and paying them money to do the work for us. We're thinking to ourselves WTF, why's he being such an asshole? Whatever, we weren't there to cause trouble so we moved the car.

Since we weren't allowed to jack the car up, I laid a floor mat down, laid on the ground and reach under the car with my arm and wrench, about to loosen the nut. Of course Art keeps his eyes on us like a hawk, comes over and before seeing what I was doing, yells at us "you two, get the fuck out of here!"

WTF is his problem?! We I get into a huge augument with a lot of cursing back and forth. I tried to keep it civil but he was just an asshole. You don't treat paying customers like that. My brother and I were shocked and pissed that we were being talked to that way. It's not like we jacked the car up. All I wanted to do was loosen the nut to be able to get the cutout plate off on the dyno. Art was basically saying when you're on XoticMotorsports property, you can't do shit to your car unless it's inside the building and you're paying them to do the work. My brother was so pissed. Art then wants to instigate a fight and says to my brother to go ahead and hit him. Then he has someone there call the cops to come out. I told him he didn't have to do that since we were leaving. He threatens us with "I hope you don't have anything illegal on your car since the cops are coming." Then his sanity must've came back because he apologizes for cursing at us. Why the fuck would we want to give him our business after being treated like this! We get in the car and leave. After we left, my friend, who's still there waiting to dyno, tells me the cops came out and Art sent them in our direction. What an Asshole. Now he was out to get us in trouble with the law.

I will never be back and will make sure others know what took place there. Thumbs way down for XoticMotorsports because of Art the owner. For anyone who plans to go there to dyno, make sure you put the race gas in before getting there, and leave your tools at home since you won't be allowed to use them anways. haha

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What a cocksucker! I would have told him the first time he came out barking to go F himself, and then left. I can't believe how some people treat customers - that's unreal..

·
11,219 Posts
Yea, that place doesn't have the best tuning anyways. The tuner isn't that experienced with the variety of electronics. I was there last summer just making sure my a/f was safe. I have an HKS SAFR. We wasted 2.5 hours there which would only have prob been 30 mins elsewhere. But their dyno tuning time was cheap compared to others, so it wasn't that bad.

I don't know who Art is, but Chris (the tuner guy) was nice. They said they normally close around 6, but we didn't leave till like 7:30 cause I was still on the dyno. Either they were super nice or just wanted my money, hehhe.

In the middle of the dyno, some people came over to chat with him. He just left me on the dyno, went to talk to them, came back 30 mins later, and continued tuning. At the end, he still charged me for the "tuning time" that he spent talking to his buddies.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Anytime you NJ guys wanna do a dyno day - I can set up something at FAST Motorsports in bridgeton...'bout an hour drive from Cherry Hill area.

Big domestic shop, but they have supra love now ;) jack your car up, pour in race gas - it's all good there :D Need a 5" DP? They can build that too...ha...

Jay

·
Registered
802 Posts
hmm...sorry you guys had a bad experience..art has always shown great customer service with me...if i can remember from last year, his insurance guys are somewhat pricks and have been giving him grief about customers in and around the shop..but i dunno...that maybe a reason why he was concerned...last time i was there, there where a bunch on kids just messing around the shop and dyno and art had to get some order in place...again, i dunno...all i know is that he's always been cool with me, in fact everyone else has been too...

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
JQUEST2 said:
hmm...sorry you guys had a bad experience..art has always shown great customer service with me...if i can remember from last year, his insurance guys are somewhat pricks and have been giving him grief about customers in and around the shop..but i dunno...that maybe a reason why he was concerned...last time i was there, there where a bunch on kids just messing around the shop and dyno and art had to get some order in place...again, i dunno...all i know is that he's always been cool with me, in fact everyone else has been too...
maybe, but IMO this doesn't sound like concern. Anybody who pulls that kind of shit on a customer doesn't deserve customers. He could have just as easily asked him to move and given an explanation for his actions, and would have gotten compliance much easier, rather than throwing a hissyfit about it. For the sake of Art if he wants to stay open, I hope this is a misinterpretation. Somebody might want to alert him to this so that maybe he can give his side of the story as well.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Wow, I first though a car flew off the dyno when I clicked into this post. Sorry to hear that you and your brother went through such an unnecessary incident.

Hau- How's your car doing? I haven't seen you at all since NEMKIV.COM died out.

·
T-Power
1,617 Posts
I also had a bad experience with Xotic Motorsport, same thing, Art came out screaming and almost call the cop.

About 2 months ago i set-up a dyno session to tune my friend's SC300. Right after we got there art started yelling at us for standing too close, we didn't want any trouble so we step back, and since i was tuning my friend's car i walked over to reset the ECU while art was strapping the car down, before i was able to pull the fuse out he came yelling and screaming at me again, so i politely told him he did not have to yell at me and we got into a little argument and that's when he told me to get out otherwise he's gonna call the cop. WTF is wrong with this guy!!! :mad:

anyways.. eventually a friend of mine calmed us down and we agreed to finish the dyno session. Afte the dyno he wanted to charge us not just the hrs we spend on the dyno, but from the time i schedule the dyno to finish, which is 1hr extra, we got there 1hr late because of a big rain storm. :madf:

Also only 2 people were there that day, Art and another guy and neither of them know how to work on the dynojet program, lucky i know, but still had to run back and forth from dyno to the computer since ART :finger: wouldn't let another guy in to drive the car....wasted a lot of dyno time doing so. They also couldn't provide us a dyno print-out because printer was broken, AND no wide-band 02 hook up because it was broken as well. :madf: .... while charging us full price "$75 wide-band included".

I do NOT recommend anybody to dyno there. I've been telling everybody i know! This is NOT how you treat your customers.

John

·
T-Power
1,617 Posts
Hau, sorry you had to go through that. That is just wrong! I can understand he's got a strict insurance policy, but you were not even in his shop.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Wow, that kind of customer service is absolutely pathetic and poor business practices. There is almost never a reason to yell at someone, especially a customer for not doing anything wrong. Asking nicely yields much better results.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
DAYUM! :eek:

2yrs back when I took my supra there on stock twins, his son (Can't Remember his Name) tuned my car on the dyno, and I got there quite late in the evening...they were nice as heck to me and so was Art. They even gave me directions on getting outta there the fastest way and even helped me put in race gas since I wanted two seperate tunes. Times really have changed, maybe opening a new seperate shop has stressed him out!!

That just plain sucks, remind me never to go there again, especially if someone treats you like that.

vnt :ghey:

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
vntperformance said:
DAYUM! :eek:

2yrs back when I took my supra there on stock twins, his son (Can't Remember his Name) tuned my car on the dyno, and I got there quite late in the evening...they were nice as heck to me and so was Art. They even gave me directions on getting outta there the fastest way and even helped me put in race gas since I wanted two seperate tunes. Times really have changed, maybe opening a new seperate shop has stressed him out!!

That just plain sucks, remind me never to go there again, especially if someone treats you like that.

vnt :ghey:
Yeah, same experience here. A couple years ago I organized an AEM tuning session when they were in the "barn". The older guy seemed to bend over backwards to make us all happy. Hell, I must have replaced my oil return line twice while I was there and I even borrowed a few of his tools, IIRC. Based on that experience, I always kept them in pretty high regard. That sucks...maybe the stress of a new shop has changed him. Totally unacceptable to yell at people.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Being a shop owner myself I can kinda understand why he would be so upset. On a weekly basis I deal with people working on their stuff in our parking lot and I've even had to clean up spills caused by them doing so. If only 5gal of oil, gas etc. is spilled I'm susposed to report it to dep. ;) Shop insurance isn't cheap (over 36k per year for me). And the insurance guys do give you a hard time if someone is in your shop or working on things in your driveway. I usually go up to them somewhat nicely and let them know they can't "work" outside the shop. Most everyone is very understandable and then stop.

It is a shame Art handled it in that manner. All in all it will only hurt their business and hopefully he will chime in so that we all may hear his side of the story....

·
Tom Henderson
1,236 Posts
Yea i had that guy yell at me to when i was there for a dyno session. I was helping a friend get the car preped on the dyno like pulling the fuses and making sure the safc was set-up, guy comes over and starts yelling at me for being over there even tho nothing was running and they were still tryign to get the computer stuff up. The tuner guy there is nice and never gave me a hard time, but when art is there i feel like my ears are gonna bleed.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I was there when this happened and all I can say is that Art must have gotten burned bad by someone trying to sue him. If he would have asked in a different way, it would have made all the difference in the world, but I think there dyno business has been so good lately he doesn't give a shit if he loses a few customers.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Is it so hard to ask someone nicely not to do work in his or her parking lot, that you have to come out yelling and cursing, that is totally unacceptable? Especially when we're out there patronizing his business, I’m sure its going to hurt them in the long run, cause someone else is going to post the same shit in another forum and so on.

Good Attitude gets you good business.
vnt

·
Flush 19" wheel club
535 Posts
I thought I was alone in getting yelled at, I guess not. However, I totally understand insurance issues and Xotic's concern for spills and safety.

Here are my two experiences that were quite different from each other:

1) I went with a couple friends to the barn in the old location, Josh and Art where courteous and accommodating to our group. I had some issues fitting the straps because of the ground clearance of my old front and was promised another session once new concrete points for the straps were installed for people with low fronts. Josh even had a picture of my car on the wall that I was given before we all left.

2) When visiting the new location with a couple friends, I was stupid enough to think that we all were on a friendly basis with Art since he saw the 3 of us arrive together and was expecting the 3rd friend amongst us who was having extensive work done. A couple minutes later after a car had pulled out, there were barely anyone in the shop. Myself and the 2nd friend approached Art who was talking to the 3rd friend who was having work done. At that point, we both got confronted, yelled and cursed at like we were pieces of crap. Later in the session, I got a couple "if looks could kill" stares and mutters of cursing about what I did earlier when Art walked by me, not only inside but outside too. Being an adult and not a little punk kid, my blood was boiling and I felt embarrassed and insulted and just wanted to leave. There were some additional uncomfortable moments which I'll just leave out. I just convinced myself I was in the wrong and perhaps Art just had a bad day.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Yeah Hau,

Rviscosi told me about that Sat. night and I was shocked. I've seen him be a complete dick before but this is rediculious. When My car is done I will be dynoing there one more time to get a base as compared to a mustang dyno at the same boost and that will most likely be the last time I use them to dyno. There is an AWD mustang dyno right he in youk now. Art should chill out a little. He has no reason to be like that.

·
T-Power
1,617 Posts
back at the barn was cool. I was probably their best customer back then. If you do a search on the forum you will see i've said nothing but great things about them, but their attitude changed ever since they move to the new shop. I have no problem with others just Art and he is the owner of of the shop, so now I'm out to make sure everyone knows about this. :mad:

yelling is one thing, but does he have to call the cop and even send the cop to get Hau after they leave? fucking asshole

1 - 20 of 82 Posts