Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
F!, Monaco, qualifying, Ralf Schumacher, Toyota, wipes out his car just a little bit ago. Caught a left front wheel on a left turn. Monaco is a treacherous track. I wouldn't want to drive that track at a 1/2 of the speed those race drivers drive it...haha...

The live race is tomorrow Sunday 052205 at 5AM PDT on Speed Channel for any that are interested. The recorded race will be on again at 8:30AM PDT on Speed Channel.

EDIT: I made a mistake. I got the date for the race correct but the day is Sunday and I said Saturday. I will change the above Saturday to Sunday...haha...
 

·
Member Thingy
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Well shoot, that's dissapointing. Is BAR Honda being let back in yet? I haven't been following too closely this year?
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kale said:
Well shoot, that's dissapointing. Is BAR Honda being let back in yet? I haven't been following too closely this year?
Don't know the answer to that question Chris. I was pretty sleepy as the qualifying started at 4AM...haha...

I imagine the Monaco race which is tomorrow will be rebroadcast a few times more would be well worth viewing. I would say that it take a ton of skill just to drive the Monaco track. There is no room anywhere for any mistakes. You make a mistake you will get bit at Monaco!!!
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
2,392 Posts
It's now 9 am saturday and all I see on speed channel is the grand-am rolex face. Nice race, but not F1.
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked up on titan.com to see if there were any other showings of the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix and it only shows on the Speed Channel at 4:30 and 8:30AM PDT tomorrow Sunday 052205 here in the Northwest. It is almost impossible to even pass on this track...
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
2,392 Posts
Well, the grand-am races are more interesting IMO than F1 races. I like this form of racing way more and the track is wet.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,266 Posts
It was a pretty fun race to watch this year overall, but there was definitely some domination at the front. ;)
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Steve Theodore said:
It was a pretty fun race to watch this year overall, but there was definitely some domination at the front. ;)
Yeah KimiR left them all in the dust and never looked back...haha... Of course I always root for the Toyotas but then...
 

·
Nothing
Joined
·
1,491 Posts
i woke up in time for the first broadcast, but fell asleep on the couch. There has to be another replay later this week?
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
69camaro said:
i woke up in time for the first broadcast, but fell asleep on the couch. There has to be another replay later this week?
I did a search and could not find any scheduled rebroadcasts shown for the near future. Maybe there will be a rebroadcast sometime further in the future. As it stands currently there is the live broadcast and then a replay later in the day.

The next Formula One race is the European Grand Prix on Sunday May 29th and it will be broadcast at 4:30AM and 9:30AM PST on speed channel... So get lots of sleep the night before or drink a lot of coffee during the race...haha...

By the way one of the best Internet places to get good TV guide info is at "titantv.com" Try it you will like it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
F1 used to be nice back in the old days when Ayrton Senna was behind the wheels, but now all we hear is Ferrari / M.Schmed :blah: ;)




Whenever am free I only watch JGTC these days :bigthumb: my timing isn't too good for F1 races :sadwavey:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,266 Posts
But, in happier news, it looks like Senna's all time pole position record (65) is in no imminent danger this year with Ferrari going nowhere. :lol:

If you guys caught the film clips where they showed Senna flying around Monaco in 91 (they did this in the broadcast for first round qualifying), you can appreciate why there will never be anyone to replace him...my true driving hero. Michael Schumacher is a phenomenal driver, but has dominated during an era of no real competition. Senna was a genius driver, and competed against 3 primary rivals during his career (Piquet, Mansell, and Prost). Even Niki Lauda was still competing while Senna was coming up, and Senna only had the fastest car for 2 seasons (1988, 1989). He is, in my opinion, without equal as a driver.

The greatest lap in F1 that I have ever watched was the opening lap of Donington Park, 1993. It was a wet race, and Senna started 4th on the grid. With his car not hampered by lack of horsepower (since it was raining), and only his own driver skill and judgment to rely on, he sublimely went from 4th to 1st in the span of ONE LAP (first lap) and never looked back. You can give me all the comparisons you want, but on that day it was clear to the entire world who was really the best driver in the world bar none. Most of us already knew and believed in Senna's ability to that level, but all doubt was suddenly put to rest.

In 1994 Williams gave him an abomination of a car called the Williams FW/16. This car was hugely uncompetitive and horribly balanced. Just look at Senna's talent-less teammate Damon Hill for proof of that fact, who required a reasonably fast car before he could even put up good numbers. However, in the 3 races that Senna qualified for that season (against Michael Schumacher by the way) he qualified on the pole for every single race. I am personally convinced that no other man on the planet Earth could have qualified that piece of junk Williams on pole...except for Senna. The man quite literally was the master of the machine, and he understood and felt everything required to make it go to the absolute limit every single time.

The fact that Williams "killed him" (culpable manslaughter charges were filed in Italy) and is still competing at the same level of motorsport greatly saddens me. They gave him an unsafe car, and the component level failure of the steering is what ultimately laid this great man to rest during that horrible weekend in May 1994 at Imola in the once great corner Tamburello.

RIP Senna...we will never forget you. I will always be a believer having seen what you were so capable of.

Steve T.
 
G

·
That was a stirring eulogy Steve :)

I just want Jarno Trulli or Ralf Schumacher to beat Ferrari this year so I can rub it into a co-worker of mine that my team is better than her's. Toyota will be even better next year... They're fairly new at it considering the experience of the other teams.

-Dave
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,266 Posts
This is definitely a year where Toyota could beat Ferrari! However, give all the credit to Michelin and all the blame to Bridgestone for that, as we all know the Ferrari would be much more competitive on different tires. However, I wouldn't go as far to say that Ferrari would be winning...just more competitive. Tires are a BIG DEAL. :)

Steve T.
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve Theodore said:
But, in happier news, it looks like Senna's all time pole position record (65) is in no imminent danger this year with Ferrari going nowhere. :lol:

If you guys caught the film clips where they showed Senna flying around Monaco in 91 (they did this in the broadcast for first round qualifying), you can appreciate why there will never be anyone to replace him...my true driving hero. Michael Schumacher is a phenomenal driver, but has dominated during an era of no real competition. Senna was a genius driver, and competed against 3 primary rivals during his career (Piquet, Mansell, and Prost). Even Niki Lauda was still competing while Senna was coming up, and Senna only had the fastest car for 2 seasons (1988, 1989). He is, in my opinion, without equal as a driver.

The greatest lap in F1 that I have ever watched was the opening lap of Donington Park, 1993. It was a wet race, and Senna started 4th on the grid. With his car not hampered by lack of horsepower (since it was raining), and only his own driver skill and judgment to rely on, he sublimely went from 4th to 1st in the span of ONE LAP (first lap) and never looked back. You can give me all the comparisons you want, but on that day it was clear to the entire world who was really the best driver in the world bar none. Most of us already knew and believed in Senna's ability to that level, but all doubt was suddenly put to rest.

In 1994 Williams gave him an abomination of a car called the Williams FW/16. This car was hugely uncompetitive and horribly balanced. Just look at Senna's talent-less teammate Damon Hill for proof of that fact, who required a reasonably fast car before he could even put up good numbers. However, in the 3 races that Senna qualified for that season (against Michael Schumacher by the way) he qualified on the pole for every single race. I am personally convinced that no other man on the planet Earth could have qualified that piece of junk Williams on pole...except for Senna. The man quite literally was the master of the machine, and he understood and felt everything required to make it go to the absolute limit every single time.

The fact that Williams "killed him" (culpable manslaughter charges were filed in Italy) and is still competing at the same level of motorsport greatly saddens me. They gave him an unsafe car, and the component level failure of the steering is what ultimately laid this great man to rest during that horrible weekend in May 1994 at Imola in the once great corner Tamburello.

RIP Senna...we will never forget you. I will always be a believer having seen what you were so capable of.
Steve T.
Very interesting reading SteveT... Thanks for sharing your feelings about Senna.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,266 Posts
I've got a lot more bottled up, but will "release in doses" as time passes. I've avidly followed F1 fan since 1991.

Steve T.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 69camaro

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,804 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
But, in happier news, it looks like Senna's all time pole position record (65) is in no imminent danger this year with Ferrari going nowhere. :lol:

If you guys caught the film clips where they showed Senna flying around Monaco in 91 (they did this in the broadcast for first round qualifying), you can appreciate why there will never be anyone to replace him...my true driving hero. Michael Schumacher is a phenomenal driver, but has dominated during an era of no real competition. Senna was a genius driver, and competed against 3 primary rivals during his career (Piquet, Mansell, and Prost). Even Niki Lauda was still competing while Senna was coming up, and Senna only had the fastest car for 2 seasons (1988, 1989). He is, in my opinion, without equal as a driver.

The greatest lap in F1 that I have ever watched was the opening lap of Donington Park, 1993. It was a wet race, and Senna started 4th on the grid. With his car not hampered by lack of horsepower (since it was raining), and only his own driver skill and judgment to rely on, he sublimely went from 4th to 1st in the span of ONE LAP (first lap) and never looked back. You can give me all the comparisons you want, but on that day it was clear to the entire world who was really the best driver in the world bar none. Most of us already knew and believed in Senna's ability to that level, but all doubt was suddenly put to rest.

In 1994 Williams gave him an abomination of a car called the Williams FW/16. This car was hugely uncompetitive and horribly balanced. Just look at Senna's talent-less teammate Damon Hill for proof of that fact, who required a reasonably fast car before he could even put up good numbers. However, in the 3 races that Senna qualified for that season (against Michael Schumacher by the way) he qualified on the pole for every single race. I am personally convinced that no other man on the planet Earth could have qualified that piece of junk Williams on pole...except for Senna. The man quite literally was the master of the machine, and he understood and felt everything required to make it go to the absolute limit every single time.

The fact that Williams "killed him" (culpable manslaughter charges were filed in Italy) and is still competing at the same level of motorsport greatly saddens me. They gave him an unsafe car, and the component level failure of the steering is what ultimately laid this great man to rest during that horrible weekend in May 1994 at Imola in the once great corner Tamburello.

RIP Senna...we will never forget you. I will always be a believer having seen what you were so capable of.

Steve T.
Ayrton Senna da Silva, the best there ever was. Steve said it all. You could hardly touch him in a pig of a car. In a good car, you could barely see him. In a great car, he just disappeared from Prost, Piquet and Mansell....and everybody else. He won when he should've and won when he should not have. Not too many drivers in history you can say that about. Best there ever was in the dry and even better than that in the wet. Driving for Toleman, I saw him come from the back of the grid, where he was bound to finish, to win going away in the rain. This was before few, except industry insiders, knew who he was, but everyone knew what he was to become after that race. I couldn't watch F-1 for years after his death and have never followed it as closely since.

Ken.

P.S. The fact that his pole record still stands 11 years after his death, and while he was in his prime, says it all.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top