Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm trying to get my factory antenna to work with my aftermarket radio. I spliced the blue and blue and white wires together from the metra harness and Pioneer harness. The radio is producing sound and everything else seems to be working, but I'm not getting 12V to the antenna connector at the rear of the car. Is there something that I may have disconnected that grounds the circuit or something specific I need to do?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
take a look at this thread

Edit, actually that's not the one I was thinking of. @Stu Hagen I think had a thread/post where he showed the wiring, that's what I was trying to post, but appears I don't have the post/thread saved.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You did not specify the Pioneer head unit but I think most of them are using this pinout:

Font Number

Now the in dash wiring could vary depending on the factory system your car had. Many of the cars were without factory CD so there are two wires that go to the antenna relay black/red and pink/blue. The models that had the CD player have a blue wire and an orange wire. The orange wire corresponds to the black/red wire on the amp and the blue wire matches up to the antenna relay's pink/blue.
Here is the in dash wiring pinout for the models without factory CD player.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

Based on what you said you connected, I think you might have the black/red wire disconnected. See yellow table above for how to handle both leads (H & I) for the antenna relay.

Keep in mind these newer head units do not fully support the antenna function. That is every time the head unit powers up the antenna will go up even if you are not using the tuner. It bothered me to have it go up all the time so I installed this switch in the headlamp washer blank to allow me to break the connection to the blue wire on the Pioneer harness side. I only allow the antenna to go up when I need the reception and I get another LED dash light when I turn on the lights.

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle Bumper
Speedometer Gauge Entertainment Automotive design Font

Also this part worked for me to allow me to connect the diversity antenna with my system.

Light Data transfer cable Line Font Cable

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey @Mynillas I just realized you are probably working on a MKIV. Some of my answer may still be applicable but I can't be sure that your dash side wiring colors or pinouts will match what I posted and you certainly don't have a blank for headlight washers. I think the basic idea is the same, you need to make sure you are getting power to the coil side of the relay and the motor power side from your antenna trigger wire on the head unit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey @Mynillas I just realized you are probably working on a MKIV. Some of my answer may still be applicable but I can't be sure that your dash side wiring colors or pinouts will match what I posted and you certainly don't have a blank for headlight washers. I think the basic idea is the same, you need to make sure you are getting power to the coil side of the relay and the motor power side from your antenna trigger wire on the head unit.
Hey

Thanks for your write up. I am working on an MK4 and it is very similar, but a little different. I'm definitely not getting 12V to my antenna connector and I have no idea why. Perhaps my relay is bad. Fortunately, I do have a second relay in storage so I am test it out.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,200 Posts
The MkIV does require 2 stock wires be fed power from the head unit, in order for the power antenna to rise. It's been a long time since I did mine, so I don't remember the colors. Did the antenna work before you installed this head unit?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The MkIV does require 2 stock wires be fed power from the head unit, in order for the power antenna to rise. It's been a long time since I did mine, so I don't remember the colors. Did the antenna work before you installed this head unit?
It did not, but it was disconnected. So after buying a new radio and buying the harness adapter from Crutchfield, I spoke to their technical support and they mentioned that connecting the blue and blue white wires (From the radio harness and afterwar harness adapter) together should make the antenna go up... I thought I might have had a bad antenna but I checked power to the antenna harness and there was no voltage.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,200 Posts
The blue/white and plain blue wires, coming out of modern head units, are for amp power and antenna power respectively. There should be no reason to tie them together. If your head unit has both, then it should be capable of only raising the antenna when you select the tuner as a source. What you do need to do is tie the 2 Supra antenna wires together, to the plain blue head unit wire.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,200 Posts
^ The 2 Supra antenna wires I'm talking about are both found going into the A30 (gray) connector that goes into the antenna control relay. They are black/red and pink/blue, going to pins 7 & 8 of the A30 connector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts