Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find the factory stereo? I have a friend who makes old stereos into Bluetooth units. I don’t want to go to a new tacky looking one, or if there’s similar Toyota model stereos I that are interchangeable with the supras?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you’re looking for a good upgraded head unit I recommend the Sony xav-ax1000. It’s a touch screen double din that matches the color and texture of the factory dash. In my car at least.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,289 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the factory stereo? I have a friend who makes old stereos into Bluetooth units. I don’t want to go to a new tacky looking one, or if there’s similar Toyota model stereos I that are interchangeable with the supras?
I can sell you my stock stereo. Send me a message if interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^^What installing kit did you purchase and wiring for it?
No dash kit was necessary the Sony fits the dash hole perfect. You just have to pull the old mounting brackets off the oem head unit and bolt them up to the Sony. As for wiring, I just bought what crutchfield showed that worked for the Supra, in fact all or most early Toyota’s. Just two pigtails that you wire into the Sony pigtail. The way I did I mine bypassed the factory amp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The sony setup looks pretty good! I have a Bluetooth cassette adapter that works pretty good for listening to music. It's terrible for taking phone calls though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have the above pictured Sony, looks factory, with a hint of new -AC

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
The whole Sony XAV-AX line is fantastic. Here are the XAV-AX100 and XAV-AX210 respectively in my Supras. A little thinner bezels than the XAV-AX1000 that Andrew showed:

·
Registered
51 Posts
The whole Sony XAV-AX line is fantastic. Here are the XAV-AX100 and XAV-AX210 respectively in my Supras. A little thinner bezels than the XAV-AX1000 that Andrew showed:
Where did you end up running the wire for the mic, if you don't mind me asking? I might have to get one of these in the future!

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
Where did you end up running the wire for the mic
Currently from behind the stereo, up to the steering column shroud. I'm not happy with the mic placement though, so I plan to move it to the dome light assembly with some kind of nice cap to make it look factory.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
I like the CD player option
I didn't really care about the CD slot, but the XAV-AX210 also has 3 camera inputs and a narrower bezel, which is why I selected that one for the TT. Plans are for a don't-curb-the-wheels camera in the right rear wheel well.

There's nowhere in a Supra to store CDs anyway.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I didn't really care about the CD slot, but the XAV-AX210 also has 3 camera inputs and a narrower bezel, which is why I selected that one for the TT. Plans are for a don't-curb-the-wheels camera in the right rear wheel well.

There's nowhere in a Supra to store CDs anyway.
Oh. Wow. Great idea. Why didn’t I think of that !!!

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
Hrm - can it show two camera inputs at once ? As in regular backup camera and curb camera ?
No...not directly. But you could create a solution where the "Cam 2" input is the output of a side-by-side video splitter.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
^^ I like the CD player option, Yes I’m old and still like my old cd’s. :sneaky:
You're not the only one! For road trips they're a bit less convenient unless you have one of those old small folders that would hold a number of discs as compactly as possible. Can't imagine those are easy to buy these days though...

And bitshftr, we just took a week long trip for Supras in Vegas in her Mk4, they're surprisingly capable of carrying stuff. The Mk3 and Mk2 even more so, but even the Mk4 continues to impress. I used to keep the cd folders under the passenger seat or in the rear foot well, works well enough. :)

To the OP, if you can't find what you're looking for, check with Eric (Zazzn on here), I seem to recall him doing some similar projects with OEM stereos in these cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts