Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are factory tweeters replacable?

my installer said the tweeter is apart of the entire dash piece, so its not possible.

anyone tried to replace it b4?

·
MultiColored Member
375 Posts
A pain in the butt to remove but it's possible.:)
2 phillips screws on the underside of the tweeter.
Could be a flat edge screw also. Don't remember.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
jc said:
A pain in the butt to remove but it's possible.:)
2 phillips screws on the underside of the tweeter.
Could be a flat edge screw also. Don't remember.
yup it can be done, like stated its a pain in the tush.

·
Registered
691 Posts
what kind of time are we talking about to get to them and put the dash right back on?.. is it closer to 1, 2, or 10 hours?..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Closer to 10 ... I did it on my car, by myself, in about 8 hours.

If I did it again, with a helper, we could probably get it done in 4 hours. There is just a lot of stuff to take out and put back in.

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
IMO its not worth it, my installer does some great work and he just suggested mounting the tweaters in the door aboe the door speaker, which he did and it looks great. It is a PITA to take apart the dash and get in there

·
Registered
691 Posts
thanks, guess my focals are going in the doors

·
0 Posts
the factory tweeters are replaceable, i'm replacing them this xmas break.

your installer probably didn't want to spend hours pulling the dash off though. It is a hassle.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I replaced the factory tweeters in my 95. It was a PITA but I like the idea of having the tweeters in the stock location. The driver side tweeter can be removed by removing everything behind the dash peices (guages, air ducts, ect...) and the passenger side can NOT be reached without taking the dash out. I decided to just cut that one out. It left most of the factory tweeter bracket in place so I could make a base to mount the MB Quart tweeter. I used the factory tweeter grill so everything looked factory but if you look closely you can see the titanium tweeter through the grill. If I had it to do over I think I would used the factory locations but try to and mount the tweeters more rigidly, although I haven't had any problems at all with what I have so far (3yrs.)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well just came back from the stereo store.

the installer just put the Type R tweeters on top of factory ones. it looks ok and i love the sound they are producing.

also, alpine 4 channel amp went under the drivers seat.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
anyone compare the factory tweeters to a aftermarket one? are they decent?

-Brett

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
supr4st4r said:
well just came back from the stereo store.

the installer just put the Type R tweeters on top of factory ones. it looks ok and i love the sound they are producing.

also, alpine 4 channel amp went under the drivers seat.
Can you provide pics of the speakers? Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My installer built some custom angled pods atop the OEM locations as well and they look pretty good.. There really is no way to get the OEM ones out and replace them properly unless you remove the windshield OR remove the entire dash... I can post pics this weekend if anyone interested...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tweeter removal - easier way

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/233728/3

I located this one a while back on replacing the stock tweeters without removing the dash. It basically destroys the stock tweeter, but it saves many hours of removing the dash. Dash removal may be the "proper" way, but who wants to go through all that?

Does anyone know exactly where & how the stock tweeters are crossed over with the mids? From the electrical diagrams it looks like the stock amp is a 5 channel (front r&l, rear r&l, sub), so there must be a passive crossover to split the highs/lows up front. No idea where it is located though. It is in the doors, kickpanels, or somewhere else?

·
2,132 Posts
Re: Tweeter removal - easier way

That page was really informative. Thanks for the find.

Bruneti said:
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/233728/3

I located this one a while back on replacing the stock tweeters without removing the dash. It basically destroys the stock tweeter, but it saves many hours of removing the dash. Dash removal may be the "proper" way, but who wants to go through all that?

Does anyone know exactly where & how the stock tweeters are crossed over with the mids? From the electrical diagrams it looks like the stock amp is a 5 channel (front r&l, rear r&l, sub), so there must be a passive crossover to split the highs/lows up front. No idea where it is located though. It is in the doors, kickpanels, or somewhere else?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Is there any need to remove the dash really? My friend used to be a stereo installer by trade and did the whole setup in my car. He just took the stock tweeters out from the top of the dash, and re-wired it all with the new ones in no time.

A

·
0 Posts
LOL...i see you guys found my "not entirely up to date" sounddomain page... :D

Did the tweeter swap in about a couple of hours...and if I can do it....trust me on this...YOU can do it too! :D

Im glad if anyone else got some help off of my little 'how too'....but i must say im impressed by those who really understood what i ment when i wrote that page :D
Being a scandinavian...english is only my second language ;)

I suspect most of the people who recomend ripping out the whole dash to do this....have never even tried to do this 'the right way' :)

And im redoing the whole setup within the next few months..i promise ill come back and post about it then ;)

@lpher

A

·
0 Posts
Re: Tweeter removal - easier way

Bruneti said:
From the electrical diagrams it looks like the stock amp is a 5 channel (front r&l, rear r&l, sub), so there must be a passive crossover to split the highs/lows up front. No idea where it is located though. It is in the doors, kickpanels, or somewhere else?
On the tweeters its attached between the two wires...(you can see it in the picture above "And heres a pic of the little bugger" on the link you gave..cant remember where the thingys (cant remember what its called in english :) ) for the rears where..or even if there where any at all :)

@lpher

1 - 20 of 39 Posts