Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't seem to get my car to pass emissions.. i'm stuck on HydroCarbons i have 248 of the 148 allowed and i got no idea what it could be now.. here's what i done.. new cat, plugs, wires, rotor, air filter. THings i have not done timing and fuel filter. Do you think the fuel filter would have a big impact on HC? As of right now i am thinking it may be timing, but i have no idea how to check it, so if anyone in central Jersey knows how to do timing please let me know.

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
^ Timing is one of the 1st things I would of checked before changing out the cat. Forget changing the fuel filter as it's good for the life of the car and a PITA to change.
Jump across TE1 and E1 in the engine bay check connector by the engine fuse box. Make sure the check engine light is blinking with the engine running. which confirms that you have a good connection. Hook up the inductive pickup of a timing light on the last cyl. (#6) spark plug wire and connect the leads to your battery. You should be flashing on the 10 BTDC mark on the timing cover with TE1 and E1 jumped. Set timing by loosening CPS or dist. bolt and turning either to get 10 BTDC. Turning Downward on either the CPS or dist. advances timing. Tighten up the 12 mm bolt and recheck. Timing should advance slightly when you remove the jumper in the check connector, maybe 2 degrees.
Mike

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had to change out the cat either way.. and as for timing i don't have a timing light or tried to do it b 4, thanks for the info tho... now i just gotta find someone that has a timing light and that could help me do timing

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
High HC's are caused by a malfuctioning PCV or the EVAP system. Check that your charcoal canister vacuum line are connected from the port on the top of the tank to the vacuum switching valve on the coolant eblow and than back to the vacuum port at the throttle body. Also check that your PCV hoses are not clogged and that it's pulling blow by at idle from your valve covers.
Mike

·
Registered
372 Posts
Check your O2 sensor, back when I was first messing with my car, I had my timing off be a "small" 12degrees!!! and no cats. I obviously went way over on HCs. I puta new o2 sensor in, voila! Went from 1200 to 196!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll have to check the pcv and evap system.. the o2 sensor is about 2 months old .. damn chris... aren't u coming back soon n e way?? i have till the end of july to get this thing inspected again

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
Forget changing the fuel filter as it's good for the life of the car and a PITA to change.
That is not true, they do go bad after awhile, but I agree timing is a must and will make your car run improperly so you cannot pass. Check the O2 sensor also and hopefully your afm is working right also. Check vacuum leaks etc.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Replace the EGR? My wafer inside of my old 1 was all black and crispy! Passed emissions after that Lol.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Codes? CODES?
O2, cat, timing and plugs come to mind, as mostly mentioned above. EGR is responsible for crappy NOX numbers, not so much HC's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the way i always got past emissons in my mazda was to stop right down the street from the testing center and pull a vac line off the intake manifold. i would have almost 0 hydrocarbons. it makes it run lean, but not so lean it will kill the car or anything just dont hot rod it untill you plug the vac line back up. pick a small one so as not to make the motor idle relly high.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I had a vacuum line disconnected on my '89 Turbo, it did the exact opposite and raised the hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
High HC's are caused by a malfuctioning PCV or the EVAP system. Check that your charcoal canister vacuum line are connected from the port on the top of the tank to the vacuum switching valve on the coolant eblow and than back to the vacuum port at the throttle body. Also check that your PCV hoses are not clogged and that it's pulling blow by at idle from your valve covers.
Mike

that is a totally false statement

HC's are only affect by MISFIRES!!!!

CO's can affect HC's HC's cannot affect CO's

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if anyone has a timing light near central jersey just let me know.. i think it could def be my timing.. don't forget this car only had 28k miles last year so its been sitting for quite sum time

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i believe my dad has a timing light so i may be in luck... i think i may try it myself later this week if he can find it

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
malloynx said:
that is a totally false statement

HC's are only affect by MISFIRES!!!!

CO's can affect HC's HC's cannot affect CO's

^ Maybe you should let the engineers at Toyota who furnished this information in the TSRM. It's on page EC-2 (Emission Control Systems) if you'd like to check it out.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
SEAFOAM *****! SEAFOAM!

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
well, u could just find a mechanic that u or one of your friends personally knows that has inspection stickers and pay them off wink * wink * , but really DO IT, DO IT !!!!! lol and if all else fails, SEAFOAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts