Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Its Almost Easy
1993 Toyota Supra NA-T
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was quoted 1100 in labor for head gasket removal, radiator install, changing of thermostat, head resurfacing, timing belt install and waterpump install? Is that a resonable price for something like this?

Im not really sure what forum this belongs in....but my car is NA.

Thanks, Brodie

· Its Almost Easy
1993 Toyota Supra NA-T
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i blew the gasket due to overheating w/ a shitty (j-b welded) radiator and a leaking waterpump which both failed.

sounds fair to me.why are you change the head gasket? are you goin to make it boost friendly?
i heard from a little birdy that the stock NA gaskets are alright for boosting. is that true?

· Banned
1,023 Posts
i heard from a little birdy that the stock NA gaskets are alright for boosting. is that true?

Yes and no.......they will hold to a certain extent (350rwhp???) but if you plan on adding any more then you should get the GTE gasket.

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
I must have missed somewhere in the service manual where it says to swap out headgasket at 350whp or 10psi.
I'd rather keep the high compression and make more power across the board with less boost :)
that will only get so far, without blowing the head gasket or gettin preignition...the line is drawn at about 10 psi, where crossing it some kind of changes will probly have to be made

· 2JZ NA-T
7,624 Posts
If you are able to tune the car with some type of management then you shouldn't need a headgasket at that low boost/hp. We've had cars make over 500whp on stock hg and head bolts using AEM.
and exactly what kinds cars are we talking?

i have seen a few high compression supras making good numbers, but that was with meth injection. and i might, just might send you 20 bucks via paypal if you can find me, or hell, even build me a 500rwhp supra runing stock hg and stock internals. Oh, and must i say that it must actually be safe to drive and beat on w/out the fear of blowin the gskt or motor every time you touch the pedal :)

no offense man, but most of us here (well atleast 2 of us that i know of ^^^) are talking from experience, in theory you might be right....but practice is a hold different world. belive me, im russian, communism looked good on paper too :)

· On call 24/7
2,347 Posts
Good price imo. Normally shops by me charge 75-85 an hr. :T I would like what everybody said...throw in a thicker hg if u are planning to Turbo. And it's fine to drive your car with a thicker hg..i did it for over 1yr and no probs. :) Go for the TT hg.

· Master Yos
3,329 Posts
im not sure I ever herd of a GE motor making that much power on the stock hg not alone stock studs.

if your goin to do the work, get a thicker hg and get some ARP head studs while your at it.

· NA/T aficionado
527 Posts
and exactly what kinds cars are we talking?

i have seen a few high compression supras making good numbers, but that was with meth injection. and i might, just might send you 20 bucks via paypal if you can find me, or hell, even build me a 500rwhp supra runing stock hg and stock internals. Oh, and must i say that it must actually be safe to drive and beat on w/out the fear of blowin the gskt or motor every time you touch the pedal :)

no offense man, but most of us here (well atleast 2 of us that i know of ^^^) are talking from experience, in theory you might be right....but practice is a hold different world. belive me, im russian, communism looked good on paper too :)
I'm talking GE motors. I'm not taking offense, its the internet and there's always naysayers and non-believers. Sorry for not following the cooker cutter program, must have missed Supraforums NA/T class that day ;)

· The "Tactileneck"
1,418 Posts
Now that we have completely stolen this thread from the OP (sorry guy), it isn't a question if you're able to make 500 or not with stock internals. I'm sure it's been done with some meth injection or race gas. The question is.... how long will it last? The answer is "Probably not very long if you want to be realistic about it." You're asking for trouble if you want reliability out of it. Possible? Sure it is. Smart? Not really, unless your sole purpose is to push it to its limits just to see how long it will last.

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
Now that we have completely stolen this thread from the OP (sorry guy), it isn't a question if you're able to make 500 or not with stock internals. I'm sure it's been done with some meth injection or race gas. The question is.... how long will it last? The answer is "Probably not very long if you want to be realistic about it." You're asking for trouble if you want reliability out of it. Possible? Sure it is. Smart? Not really, unless your sole purpose is to push it to its limits just to see how long it will last.
these ge engines can take a pretty good beating...if anything id be more concerned about the drivetrain

· 2JZ-Phantom
2,495 Posts
Hey, go to clubtna-t and read superrunner's thread on the head gasket. Base on what he said and the research and because you have the AEM EMS, the TT headgasket and if I remember correctly, the stock head gasket should be able to handle the boost just fine if you get the tune right. I am thinking about going back to a NA 10:1 ratio and boosting it up 25psi. YES, the stock internals will hold 500hp fine and will last, every thing wears down and is bound to break. The tranny is the weak link here, everything else is fine. Hopefully SuperRunner and John Reed see's this thread and shed light on this subject.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.