Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering if it was posible and worth anything to swap the rad fan off the engine and drop an electric one right on the rad??

ayone ever do this??

thanks guys

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
I'm going electric fan with my 2J, and maybe on my N/A 7M because clutch fans piss me off lol

Collin

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
What's the prob with stock fans?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yes, but they don't always run ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ehh, after dealing with electric fans for a while, I have to say unless you're trying to eek out every little bit of power you can, it's not really worth it to change from the stock one unless you are having some kind of issue with it. But that's just my experience, some folk have never had problems with them but I know a lot that after using the electrics call us up to buy the factory stuff.

·
2JZ swapped!
879 Posts
I had some flexalites on my car for alittle while, it really wasnt worth it at all. Electric fan dont free up the engine load much at all or really even noticably.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
after fighting with the stock fan when pulling the engine, doing a timing belt or ANYTHING, I want electric fans...

anybody that says they're not reliable is a fool, look at ANY new car these days, electric fans cool better when properly controlled and used...

·
Dont question the good Dr
474 Posts
Nothing will generate as much airflow as the stock fan. Buy a new fan clutch from th dealer (Its technically called a fluid coupling) and make sure you coolant system is up to spec. Electric fans are a waste of money IMO and arent any better than the stock fan setup.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,941 Posts
only set back so far for my fans is the power drain when hey come on.... they clean up the engine bay, and work fine if set up right. Mine only come on when the engine gets hot. Its no big deal to se them

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yes, but electric fans aren't dependant on the RPM of the engine to operate, so they can spin faster and cool better...

Elctric fans have proven to be reliable, while electric water pumps haven't yet proven to be reliable enough. THe ultimate setup in my eyes would be to be able to turn the car off and leave the water pump and fans still going...

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
The important part of any fan is the shroud. if you don't have a shroud sealing the airflow so it comes through the radiator instead of around it, the vehicle will run hot.
The dual fans off a 98 Ford Contour work very well, and are easily adapted to our radiators. Not only is it a dual electric fan, but it has a high and low speed, and a full shroud that covers over 90% of the radiator. Also, get a temp. switch to control them. If they're constantly on, the fan motors and alternator will wear out prematurely.

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
heres my opinion on Electric Fans. they WORK! I've been through 5 MKII Supra's and 4 of them actually had the same electric fan (Hayden 15" fan) that was off from my first MKII. so thats like 4 yrs. worth of daily driving, long trips to Reno & So. Cal. w/ the frequent drag racing & drifting. never had a problem. and still used the same ass electric fan from way back in 2001.

also, I use it manually. meaning that I have a Toggle switch that i can turn on when I'm cruising in the city, then would occasionaly turn off when I'm on the freeway.

so for me, electric fans work. they reduce parasitic loss on the engine, cleans up the engine bay, and ALSO.. prolongs the life of the Waterpump.

aite, peace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts