Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know anywhere besides toyota to get it or is only toyota?

the mounting bracket broke so its currently held on by cable-ties :) on the side...seems secure but i think i wanna replace it sooner or later....but don't wanna spend that much from toyota...

also removing it should be easy? i won't have to take any of the fans out? it seems like theres a few bolts holding it all?

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Easy to get off. Both pieces (yes, there is a lower piece that clips on to the shroud) is $153 from Toyota. I just replaced mine.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn $153......for a piece of plastic......

i just remember my fan might have one from his NA car.....that should fit ?

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
I believe I got a fan shroud from Jay Marks/Champion Toyota for around 80.00 plus shipping. Give that a try.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol 153 for a piece of plastic is pretty pricey. couldnt you try the wreckers?

·
887 Posts
Everywhere I looked they were cracked or brittle. I did not know about Jay Marks at the time or I would have gone with them. You would expect most dealerships to be close in price, but Jay Marks is much cheaper on everything! Live and learn...

·
Registered
201 Posts
JT87NA said:
I believe I got a fan shroud from Jay Marks/Champion Toyota for around 80.00 plus shipping. Give that a try.
Is that price for the complete shroud? Mine broke at one corner and I made a metal bracket to attach it to the shroud by drilling a hole in the shroud body. I wonder if I would be better off replacing it since the shroud might break and damage something since they become brittle.

·
887 Posts
I would replace it if it is brittle. Mine had a crack in it and I drove it down from NC to FL when I bought the car. The crack got worse, and as luck would have it I made it home....barely! About a mile from home my temp gauge started to climb. When I opened the hood, the fan shroud (or what was left of it) was spinning around the shaft on the other side of the fan. The fan actually sucked the shroud in and destroyed it. The temp gauge going throgh the roof was due to the shroud tearing up the wires on the sending units while it spun around the fan shaft.

·
Registered
201 Posts
csnow said:
I would replace it if it is brittle. Mine had a crack in it and I drove it down from NC to FL when I bought the car. The crack got worse, and as luck would have it I made it home....barely! About a mile from home my temp gauge started to climb. When I opened the hood, the fan shroud (or what was left of it) was spinning around the shaft on the other side of the fan. The fan actually sucked the shroud in and destroyed it. The temp gauge going throgh the roof was due to the shroud tearing up the wires on the sending units that hand off of the goose neck as it spun around the fan shaft.
Holy crap! I better get a new one then. Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is it necessary to have the fan shrould? Mine came off and I've left it off since...But does it matter if it's off or not? Please advise....

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
how about a carbonfiber fanshroud?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol that would be pretty cool. and you dont really need the fan shroud. it does help quite a bit.

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
Go to a Toyota dealership that looks like it's not getting much business, ask them for a discount and they probably would do it. Got mine for $83 new.

Take off auxillary fan and the upper radiator hose and the shrould just slides off after you take out some bolts.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
2damaxsupra said:
u dont need that if u dont live in the hot area

i dont care what ANYONE says...there is no damn point in a fan without its shroud.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts