Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
So basically the guy has a factory "freak" car. That doesn't mean that other Stealths or VR-4s can match his times. Noel's '98 Supra dynoed ~340 rwhp stock... does that mean that Supras dyno 340 rwhp?! Nope, more like he had some kind of a "freak" car that was probably running higher boost for whatever reason.

Or how about Marcus' car that put down 370 rwhp w/o DP? Oh but he was boosting 20-21 psi, so perhaps the same rule holds there. On boosted cars, every once in a while you see a stock car that runs a little more boost than stock and produces unusually high/fast numbers.

In other words, I don't think that guy in a Stealth could run 13.0 in another stock Stealth. So it's not his driving (although I'm sure he knew what he was doing).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
***Calvin,
Got it. Thanks!

***"[email protected] still getting some bogging off the line. Gotta learn to slip the clutch more since the stocker is still holding up so well. Do you know how to shim the wastegate?"

***Rob,
Are we the last 2 people running the stock clutch?;)
I have never shimmed the wastegate but I thought Chris
Bergman put a tech link for it on MKIV. I think Tony(Silver
Bullet) has done it. Btw, 7.88 on a 1.92 rocks!
Wayne

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Whats with trying to disprove someone else's good time?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nobody is taking credit away if the run is true. It is hard to believe because those cars normally dont run anywhere near that quick. Thats the hard part. If its true than its a great run but putting the time slip up to prove it will help.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
a vid is up, but I'm not sure if that is his 1/4 pass or his videotaping of his car's boost pressures (I have a slow dialup :p )

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
WayneCar said:
Joe asked for comparisons with other stock cars
with a gauge and I gave him the numbers from my
'95 VR4 with no mods except drop in K+N filter. I had
taken my MBC off and was seeing how much change
in boost I got. I was very surprised how low the stock
readings were. And the degree of difference was very
significant. You are only using 2500 rpm in a race(4500-
7000 rpm) and a 2+ pound variance over about half of
this range will certianly make a difference. Then again,
maybe my car was the one with the "incorrect" boost
level when stock. I assumed this was not the case because
Joe's trap speed is 3-4 mph higher than I have ever
seen stock(including 95-96 Stealths). That does not mean
my assumption was correct. I'll say it again. Damn fine
run.
Wayne
yes, but he only had 8.5 psi at 4500 rpm, dropping to ~6 psi at 6000 rpm, which seems normal to me, especially considering 2nd gen are rated at ~12 psi from the factory. Unfortunately, I never tested my boost pressures when stock either, so I can not corroborate the numbers from my own car, but they sound ok.

those numbers are 1 psi less than originally thought, as seen here:
http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52633

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bill,
With the 1 pound correction it looks much more
in line with my results. More of a spike than I got
but not far off. The stock 9b car with just exh,intake
and boost trapping 113+ mph at 15lbs was pretty
wild also. Maybe just really good air mixed with some
good driving that day.
Wayne

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am curious as to how we are defining "Stock". To me "Stock" is the way the car was intended to come off the assembly line. In other words a K&N filter isn't "Stock". The wastegate hose on the firewall falling off, or cracking and now does not allow the waste gate to open is not "Stock". I know a guy that swears his 12.3 second Buick T type is bone stock, and the exhuast and boost controller with the converter lockup doesn't count! I will say this, I have modified about a dozen of the Stealth/3000gt turbo cars, and with a good exhaust and more boost, even pounding the daylights out of the car you are lucky to run low 13's.
I'm not saying that this is impossible, maybe some guy on the assembly line wanted to mess around abit and did something to the car, or maybe this guy really thinks he is stock. But plain and simple horsepower to weight (and those cars are as heavy as they come) does not dictate a low 13.

So what is stock here?

Jason.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
He didn't even have a K&N filter or anything when he did that run. You must remember that a 96 RT TT is by far the lightest 3S. It is roughly 100lbs lighter than its closest cousin/brother 3S. And remember that their are "factory freaks".
Lets talk bone stock n/a times. Whats the best E.T. from a bone stock Supra?I ran a 14.9 my first time ever at the track and within one month after I learned how to drive stick with just a stage 2 clutch and a lightweight flywheel.
So there is no need to argue. Even cheater slicks don't count as stock.
Good Luck to all and drive safe.:cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now, I'm not arguing, I am just trying to get accurate information.

Jason.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jason,
Joe's car is 100% stock. We were just wondering if
the boost from the factory was higher than normal.
Given that a 9b car with just BPU mods ran 113mph
traps on the same day I wonder if good driving and
good air together produced these very impressive
results.
Wayne

·
Registered
87 Posts
What I was saying was that the 96's being some 100lbs lighter will have almost no impact on the 1/4 mile time. A 100lb drop in weight will at very best give you a tenth of a second. I have seen many stock 3000GT's and Stealths run and none of them were even close to that time. Most of the ones I have seen run mid to high 13's with a good driver. Now it is possible that his factory car was running more boost thus giving him much better than normal times.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I dont want to start any shit but here goes any way. I agree there is no way in hell a stock tt stealth, even if it was built in the middle of the week:) would run a 13.0anything. Why was it that in the first post you did not know the time, and definatly did not know the trap speed. Then later you knew the time exactly and the trap speed. By the way have you seen how small the factor turbos on a stealth are, looks like a travel hairdryer or something.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
They are some tiny turbos, but you can get about 550hp out of a pair of 15g's pretty easily. :cool:

And the average stock 3S TT time i have seen is about 13.6, but then again, this is the average. My car was supposed to run a 15.5-15.7 all stock. It ran a [email protected]??.??(previous owner and i dont remember what he said) stock on a crappy day and a [email protected] with just a lightened flywheel and a stage 2 clutch on the average WI day. All ran in true street driven form. I plan to hit a 14.5 with just the added intake and udp if i ever get a good day to race up here. ;)

Good Luck and Drive Safe!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I dont want to start any shit but here goes any way. I agree there is no way in hell a stock tt stealth, even if it was built in the middle of the week would run a 13.0anything. Why was it that in the first post you did not know the time, and definatly did not know the trap speed. Then later you knew the time exactly and the trap speed. By the way have you seen how small the factor turbos on a stealth are, looks like a travel hairdryer or something.
i wasn't going to get into this, but seeing as how i was at the track with Joe and the other 3/S guys i suppose i might as well give my 2...where the fuck is the cent sign?...why the fuck don't computers come with cent signs?... anyhow.
he didn't know the exact time/trap because i posted the original message with an approximate of Joe's record setting time when it happened, and when Joe got home later that day he posted the exact times with the slips. you obviously didn't take the time to check out the link or the videos? i'll mail you some videos if you really want, i've got him on tape running a [email protected] beating a C5 that ran [email protected]
as for the boost issue, here's the threads about it 3si.org 3si.org . all the info about that is there. he says that after reading up on it, it seems that his cars boost pattern is normal. even if it isn't, it was spiking to nearly 14psi at only 3-3.5k rpms, then it dropped rapidly to ~6psi, which is actually a little bit below stock setting for the boost leveling off.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Can you e-mail me the video or post it on here. I wanna see it. I have alot of the fastest of anything cars and this one would be cool to have with those. Thanks,

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
is this concidered stock?

Well, I just got back from the track at Dinwiddie and my car ran a 13.22. The only thing I have on it is that $4 T mod that connects to a hose. Also, my car is an auto. Not bad huh?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts