Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be fun to see who the REAL machanics are out there. Who can rip out a 7m and install the quickest? AND HAVE IT WORK PROPERLY WITH NO MAJOR PROBLEMS?

My Times:

ENTIRE ENGINE REMOVAL: 2HRS AND ABOUT 20 MIN
ENTIRE ENGINE INSTALLATION 4HRS AND ABOUT 35 MIN OR SO

yeah i began timing myself when it got the point of me having to do it frequently for one reason or another....and both of those times are removing and installing just the engine and not the tranny.....which is why the installation took longer...because that clutch is a bitch to line up sometimes....it took me 2 hours once and 10 minutes another time....pita!

So whats everyone else got? AND NO LYING DAMNIT IM GONNA HAVE TO ASK FOR TIME SLIPS! ;)

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
NA Removal: 15Min. Well, more specifically, just the bare long block ;)

Turbo Engine and Tranny Install (just putting it in, only bolted the engine/tranny mounts): about 2 - 3 hours. It was the second time I had done it and the engine mounts/tranny tunnel were giving me hell. Wound up setting the engine down on the cross brace several times to reposistion the chains.

Ill have to time myself next time :)

T

·
0 Posts
i dont know if this still counts, but i remember timming ourselves from the time that i drove an FC into the gargage untill the time that the car was back ouside, and the motor was in the air. it was 47 min, and the coolant did burn the crap out of our hands when we drained it, but it was all in good fun

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
Dunno about the sup... I think about 6 months.
As for an old VW bug? Motor out, and back in.... about an hour.

haha, yeah cause you have like 5 wires and only a few bolts. Hell a VW bug tool-kit consists of a 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, 19mm, and a set of screwdrivers (maybe feeler gauges for valve adjust). That is one simple car ;)

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Robert Otte did it for a bet in under an hour. You all are so beat :)
Edit: I think it was a motor removal and install, not sure.

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
I'm right there with you, Jeff... I'm alsways misplacing sockets, just to realize that I put them in some boneheaded place. Or sometimes next to some other shiny part of the car, and totally glancing over them when I look again.

-B

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
We do things fast here in the great state of TX! Max time pulling a motor out is 1 hr and 30 mins and 2 to 3 hrs putting one back in and driving the car.

Kruso

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
bjacques said:
I'm right there with you, Jeff... I'm alsways misplacing sockets, just to realize that I put them in some boneheaded place. Or sometimes next to some other shiny part of the car, and totally glancing over them when I look again.

-B
Lol, thats why I've got about three to four of each of the basic essential sockets which turn up from one place or another in the end.

Kruso

10mm 12mm 14 mm 17mm and 19mm sockets are my friend!

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol its so fucking funny cause half of the jobs me and my friends do it takes 20-30 min for the actual job and another like 3 hours combined looking for tools needed for said job. lol....damn things!

·
Registered
449 Posts
damn you guys are studs...haha...my first time ever pullin a tranny was on our car....wow....wat a pain in the ass for a novice....haha tooke me like 8 hrs to pull tranny....couldn't find the bolt above the starter...lol......then couldn't find a way to get the tranny back in...didn't know to slip clutch and pp onto the shaft.....
wow
wat a day

B

·
0 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
Dunno about the sup... I think about 6 months.
As for an old VW bug? Motor out, and back in.... about an hour.
Yea I would go with you on this one with about 6 months:D

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,080 Posts
From the time I pulled my motor, to putting it back in and the car running, almost 2 years!:D

I pulled the motor out of Jeff's parts car in under an hour. Impact wrench and some big snips, cut every damn hose on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts