Those valve covers are gorgeous. I'm really enjoying this attn to detail.
So weather still too cold to fix the tray. I cleaned the fuel injectors with a clever technique where you epoxy an aerosol can of cleaner to a tire valve stem (I know..) and then connect a battery to each injector with alligator clips to open the pintle valve and shoot cleaner through them. Worked like a charm. Here's my harmonic balancer all painted up with easy to see lines for when I do the timing gun on it:
Before: The rubber bits were so hard I had to use wire cutters to split them for removal and they felt like hard brittle plastic.
View attachment 261288
Now, with fresh seals, cleaned inside and out and their cylinder number permanently engraved:
View attachment 261289
I think one of the three is named VTV, but yes, very confusing.Well, I got all the vacuum hoses figured out with help from the forum. Wow. The 3 items all named "VSV" was a frustration and I think the prior owner of the donor head/intake had messed things up, which led me astray. Once I got them all correctly installed today, I pulled and replaced them all one at a time with fresh hose. Just a few pieces remain. I took a swag and 15 feet of bulk line seemed enough. I think it's more like 20 feet for the 1/8" size to replace everything, including the little heater control hoses and cruise control. I put white paint marks on each one as I replace them and as they were confirmed by photos and diagrams. Truly a pain to do.
Then I installed the distributor, spark plugs and the vacuum chamber. Be advised, that thing will fit on backwards just fine. And then it will make your vacuum hose project just THAT much more confusing. Argh. The yellow tape identifying VSV 1,2,3 was a big help.
View attachment 263657
It’s hard to keep it pretty. Pictures of my harness wouldn’t help as Tweak’d finally admitted that my harness wasn’t built to my spec. I did notice that their site now has a very comprehensive list of questions that should eliminate that from happening to others.I got the engine harness out of the attic after an hour of rising panic as I'd put it in a black trash bag to ensure it was not kinked. Could not find it - a bit freaky. Anyhow, slowly stretched it out on the floor on a warm day. Then gently laid it atop the intake and zip tied it in place to keep it from having any strain. Got all the sensor wires in place, then secured it with the factory plastic holders. After that, I cleaned each connector with Contact Cleaner, then sprayed them out with compressed air. I am a bit puzzled with the section that drops down through the runners as a bulky wire bundle. I'm not sure where the bundle secures. It has a factory black plastic ring on the bundle but there is no little metal tongue to hang it on, making me nervous I will later realize the bundle was supposed to go rearward, or forward when I discover a sensor won't reach once the engine's in the car. Anyone have a picture or wiring diagram of the intake side of the engine. A picture would have to be from down low shooting upwards to reveal where the bundle is secured.
I also got the TPS for $75 from AutoZone the nexr morning. Bought additional vacuum hose - ran out. Bought some water line for those smaller coolant hoses, and something for the PCV short bits on that funny 3 legged metal tube that sits across the valve covers. Szdly the engine is getting uglier each day as I hang more things on it, cover the valve covers, and it has sprouted forests of vacuum lines. ;argh....
I highly recommend buying some Viton hose for that. In my experience, even the best fuel-rated hose turns hard and brittle after a year in that spot. My Viton pieces are still soft many years later.and something for the PCV short bits on that funny 3 legged metal tube that sits across the valve covers