Supra Forums banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Bruce, that's a great plan and I hope it can help others discovering the ability to do a valve adjustmen at home on their 7MGE/GTE. You should post this on that "Shim Hoarding..?" thread as future people will search for "shim" threads.. Great idea - thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bruce, that's a great plan and I hope it can help others discovering the ability to do a valve adjustmen at home on their 7MGE/GTE. You should post this on that "Shim Hoarding..?" thread as future people will search for "shim" threads.. Great idea - thanks.
I saw that thread after I posted. I am a SupraMania regular with withdrawal symptoms. There's a hidden Supra group on FB of about 150 local people where the tray was started. So far I'm the only user... and I'm not done :(

Not a new idea and there may already be one around. If so, I haven't found it. Might post on FB looking for one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Well happy Easter to you all. I finally got some time with the Supra engine today. I got the valve spring compressor at the local auto store (rental program) and the simple aluminum adapter I made when I pulled them, and put all my springs and valves back in. That was harder than I expected time-wise as those little keepers are fiddly little buggers. There's a technique to it you figure out after spending 20 minutes getting the first one in. Then the next one is 15 minutes and so on.

Now I'm off to return the rental tool before they close and now a milestone has been reached and crossed in case none of you noticed it. I'm actually BUILDING the Supra 7M engine now! Woohooo!! Next the buckets, shims and cams go back in and the head is DONE. Then I return to the block, patiently sitting there all honed, painted and with new bearings ready to go.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Ooh. I almost forgot. I promised pictures. Here is a valve about to get tipped. The newer, better version of this machine has a lever you throw that takes off a preset and precise amount. Here, the knob on the end was just a coarse adjustment and if you lean on the valve gently as you swivel it through the grinder, it would take TWICE as much off versus neutrally swinging it. Old bushings with slack will do that...😳

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Here are the valves all lapped and gapped and re-installed. Once the cams are back in, I'm planning to double check the clearances and swap shims if I find variations, as the spring pressure is likely to shift things slightly.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Heh, yeah I suppose a true machinist these days hardly uses the stuff. Because they have...er....machines to do this stuff. I had my hands and a piece of perfect sized PVC tube. Worked perfectly.

So, tonight I put in the buckets and shims, then laid the cams on there with some assembly lube and called it a night. Best to be doing the proper tightening sequence and such with a fresh mind. Next are the cam journals and cam seals. Kinda nice to be throwing away boxes that held the cams and buckets, shims, valve springs, etc. Clearing up the workspace considerably!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
OMG prussian blue! Haven't seen that in ages.
Did you know that it's available in an aerosol can? Did you know that said aerosol cans are sensitive to high temperatures, like being left in a car on a hot day? I learned both on the same day at the same time when an acquaintances car was suddenly turned into a blue hell.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Oh, wow. That would have been an unrecoverable mess. The stuff can only be removed with nuclear grade solvents and Gregorian chanting. I got some on my finger, and for days my buddies were asking who I voted for in Iraq (they stain a finger at the polls to prevent double voting...).
You have to give more details - what happened?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
unrecoverable mess.
Pretty well describes it. Newer Subaru with plastic everything. He had to replace the instrument cluster and a few other interior bits to keep the car functional, but essentially kept the car like that with blue dye covering the majority of the front interior. Windows were all tinted so the tint had to be removed and replaced. Covered the interior door handles with painters tape and put a steering wheel cover and seat covers on. The car smelled like a bottle of Dykem.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Well, the cams are back in the head! New seals were a conundrum as I have a pretty good seal driver kit but the cam protruding through the seal required a large deep socket. Which I have a lot of but it's a weird one so I didn't have anything that would work. Finally realized that with the cam out, I had options. So I put the seal on the cam, laid the cam in and wiggled the seal down into place with a dab of grease on the bore the seal sits in. This also let me line up the seal lips to miss the faint grooves of the original seal wear - bonus.

Pro tip when you put the sealant on the #1 journal location, put it on the journal itself for perfect accuracy (vs on the head where it lands like the manual says). Assembly lube on cams, shims, cam journals and new seals so nothing moves dry.

To my dismay, I am missing one of the pins that secure the cam belt gears. If anyone has a tip on these, let me know. I'll try the dealer in the morning, which was a success with the dowel pins that locate the head on the block a few months ago to my surprise. If it's a common size, would be great to know that - I have the other one taped to its gear.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
To my dismay, I am missing one of the pins that secure the cam belt gears. If anyone has a tip on these, let me know. I'll try the dealer in the morning, which was a success with the dowel pins that locate the head on the block a few months ago to my surprise. If it's a common size, would be great to know that - I have the other one taped to its gear.
I don't remember the size, but I just ordered a few not more than a couple months ago, the part # is 90250-05121

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Yep, $3 for a pair of them at the Toyota dealer and they'll be in tomorrow morning. Thanks for making that painless for me with a part number!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Yup - we think alike. I've seen a couple people on YouTube happily working on these engines until they broke that thing and wished they never touched it. At the same time, I never ran across anyone complaining they had any trouble with it. So I did the math like you just did.

I'm so pumped. The engine and head have been in a spare room in the house while I worked on them, with the entire floor covered protectively for about 6 months. Just tonight I moved the whole thing out to the garage. Set up the heavy table in the garage I use for extra workspace when I'm doing a major project. My daughter's boyfriend helped me wrestle the block out into the engine stand and the head's now got the EGR cooler missing in the above photo installed and it's sitting on the work table. Tomorrow I'll only have time to get the tools put away and reorganized and then we're headed out of town. So I'll return to install the bearings, crank, pistons and head. It will go quick from there. Local Toyota dealer will have the cam gear dowel pins in the morning, so I'll tape them to the head. I'm having some slight heartburn about not painting the valve covers, as the block is a nice fresh satin black and the head is all clean. But perhaps there's something to be said for patina and I don't think I'll be able to do a nice job with getting the orangey red "3000" and all that. Any votes? I'm still tempted....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was going to suggest swapping out that old coolant banjo, but that could be a can of worms.
Yup - we think alike. I've seen a couple people on YouTube happily working on these engines until they broke that thing and wished they never touched it. At the same time, I never ran across anyone complaining they had any trouble with it. So I did the math like you just did.

Well mine had actually corroded though and I had to replace it. That wasn't a fun exercise with the motor in the car. It would a lot easier to replace now with the motor out but I can guarantee you it still won't be easy and you'll hate us for even suggesting it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was going to suggest swapping out that old coolant banjo, but that could be a can of worms.

After having one of those things spring a leak at the joint between the pipe and banjo while 500 miles from home I replace it if there are any signs of corrosion. While it's really more a bucket of worms than it is a can of worms, if there is ever a time to do it it's now.

·
90T
594 Posts
Yeah, I removed mine and half the threads came out with it. In the end I was glad I replaced it but definitely gave me a few more gray hairs.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts