Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are everyones favorite subs, looking to put a system in my car and just wanna know what every thinks is the best.

-matt

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well there is definetly no best subs but some goods subs are listed below.Some of there are geared more towards SPL and some toward SQ.It depends on what you like more

Mass 2012
Diamond Macdaddy
Ground Zero Nuke
Image Dynaminc IDQ
Digital Design 9512
Eclipse 88120
a/d/s/ 312RS.2
Oz Power Matrix 12
Crystal CMP-12 or CMPX-12
Alchemy Alumpro

Here are some to list a few

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parboy whats up? ok heres the dily. I scored a pair of 12 inch kicker solo-barics 4 ohm and a pair of 15 inch earthquakes dont know specs on these dont even know the model been to busy to look but what do you know about these subs? what do you think i should go with?? Im not going to put both sets in but i have heard that Earthquakes PUMP! Is it true?? Hmmmmm??? :confused:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chalk another one up for the Eclipse 8812 DVC's, I was one of the first people in Canada to get them.

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
I have been very pleased with my pair of eclipse 88120dvc's. Sound great and can get insane loud! I also like the kicker solobarics I have in my durango. Others I have heard sound good are orion hcca's, memphis and audiobahn. The memphis subs will probably be the cheapest pricewise, but are some great sounding subs! Also the eclipse 87 series are great sounding for the budget minded consumer. Good luck!

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
Tito G, I have never heard the earthquakes before so im not sure on that. I would say you need to check the stats on them. Find out what the rms power rating is, peak power rating, how many coils and at what ohm rating. My next question would be about the amp you are going to use to power them. What kind of power is it pushing at at what ohm load does it make max power? The solo's will have to be wired up either 4ohm stereo, 2ohm mono or 8ohm mono. Not sure about the earthquakes. So depending on how much power your amp has, that will determine which subs would work best. I only have about 400watts going to each of my 15" solo's(which is way underpowered for those subs)and they still pound like crazy. Post back with some more info and we will give you some more feedback :) Good luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have my spls sitting in my room waiting to have the box built!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard many subs, wanted to go with JLW3's but decided on the Alpine Type R's. They sound mint, and i got a good deal. The response is amazing, not just simple thump thump.

Ciao.,

·
805 Posts
Well nobody has said JL yet, but thats is what i use.....i had 2 poineer 10's(CHEAP!), then bought one 10W3 off of the forum...The 10W3 hits soooo much hard and cleaner than my 2 10's but they are not the best by far for SQ.....so i guess, its back to what you want, SPL or SQ....
yeagy

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
JL's are alright but im suprised they still use foam surrounds as far as durability goes, foam is not... the Eclipse 88120's have a MASSIVE rubber surround for extremely tight, hard hitting bass.... Im not all into subs in cars like I used to be when I was 16 or 17.. but I might still put some in the next car, probably just a 10" eclipse though... I dont want all the added weight or the ghetto bass.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am a fan of JL, but agree they need to change to a rubber seal. But they still hold a big presence in the sub market. They supposedly have a new sub coming out the W7 series, but from what I've heard they are onsanely expensive like $800 for a single 12". I had a pair of 10W6 but they dry rotted out when my car sat for a month or 2, they were pretty old anyway, but they sounded awesome.

Tom

·
651 Posts
Having heard more than a few subs in my days (Little over 10 years in the car audio buisness) I am one of the few that have seen and heard the JL W7.

Let me tell you this.... It is absolutely the single highest output sub for the size that has ever been built by any manufacturer PERIOD. You must remember, subwoofer design has remained mostly unchanged for more than 60 years. I am not going to sit here and go through all the things that they have done differently than other manufacturers but I will sum it up in one sentence.

The W7 has what I believe to be 13 entirely new patents for that single speaker. 13!! Remember I said that subwoofer design is unchanged over the last 60 years? Can you imagine what would have to be done to change 13 different aspects of subwoofer design?

I have heard the speaker and yes it is expensive but remember this fact. A single 12W7 will produce more bass and move more air than 3 12W6's! That was 3 subs! It's cone is so wide and deep a 12W6 will actually drop down into the cone of the W7.

It is going to be almost unfair the amount off SPL "ass" this speaker is going to kick in the upcomming years. For SPL there will be none better. I am sure of it.

Until then, I have 3 JL 10W3D6's in a custom sealed enlosure that I am sure some of you have seen. Around August, I will have the box for sale if anyone is interested.

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Kicker Comps get my vote. Not too sure about the new SB's(been so long since I've touched a car subwoofer), but back in my thumping days, the Comps were the shitz. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man there to many new guys here like my self can you post the pics please !and do them jl w7 come in 10" and whats there max and rms handeling??? what are they running about retail price and what amp do you recomend to run it!
Originally posted by Thomas Kenyon:
<STRONG>Having heard more than a few subs in my days (Little over 10 years in the car audio buisness) I am one of the few that have seen and heard the JL W7.

Let me tell you this.... It is absolutely the single highest output sub for the size that has ever been built by any manufacturer PERIOD. You must remember, subwoofer design has remained mostly unchanged for more than 60 years. I am not going to sit here and go through all the things that they have done differently than other manufacturers but I will sum it up in one sentence.

The W7 has what I believe to be 13 entirely new patents for that single speaker. 13!! Remember I said that subwoofer design is unchanged over the last 60 years? Can you imagine what would have to be done to change 13 different aspects of subwoofer design?

I have heard the speaker and yes it is expensive but remember this fact. A single 12W7 will produce more bass and move more air than 3 12W6's! That was 3 subs! It's cone is so wide and deep a 12W6 will actually drop down into the cone of the W7.

It is going to be almost unfair the amount off SPL "ass" this speaker is going to kick in the upcomming years. For SPL there will be none better. I am sure of it.

Until then, I have 3 JL 10W3D6's in a custom sealed enlosure that I am sure some of you have seen. Around August, I will have the box for sale if anyone is interested.

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000</STRONG>

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have a Boston pro 12.5 and it hits hard as hell, the guy at the store stood on the center of the sub and it didnt break, thats pretty good for durabilty.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey Thomas ive been hearing a lot about those JL W7's but i havent heard of a solid date that they will be available...you have any clue when they will be available and how much a 12" will run? thanks

-matt

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that Audiobahn AW1205's bumb hard!
But my favorite is my friends Suburban with four 15" Cerwin Vega Strokers!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I can vouch for the quality of JL's, I have 3 12W6's in a custom enclosure powered by an XTANT amp. and I have won many bass competitons with this setup, My best SPL was a 151.1, I havent heard the W7 yet but have heard nothing but good remarks about it, in my opinion nothing can touch a JL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts