Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally getting my car tuned in the shop. dont know what to expect. it has the FCON-S with a T-78. anyone else got this computer??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Coool! I am curious to hear your experience. You have by far choosen the BEST set-up ever. WARNING: (Those that doubt this, please prepare, before you argue this with me.) I have had very little experience with the F-CON 5 (similar) a few years ago. It really comes down to how well they dial it in. I would really appreciate a constant update and will try to assist if they or yourself have some questions.

-Sensei

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Which shop is tuning the F-CON S for you?

I am running the F-CON S right now and its working great so far.

We are working on expanding the options and it looks to be very effective on the supra.

I'll give more updates soon.

Will

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
nytemyst said:
well i think that setup is second best. with the F-CON Pro V being the best. I plan to get the Pro V once its available.
Argh! :D Well, I can't argue that, since I now have my left foot in my mouth and my right foot up my ass! Good one....

-Sensei ;)

Jza8shwoff Will... I see you have picked up another Supra. It's been a while for you, do you still remember how to use a clutch? :DJust kidding...although I bet you kinda miss the cupholders, huh?.

-Sensei ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jza8shwoff said:

We are working on expanding the options and it looks to be very effective on the supra.

Will
I too am curious what shop is tuning the F Con S.... is it a HKS Pro shop?
I would think that Will would know who was installing a F Con but since Will doesnt know I am assuming that someone imported a unit directly from Japan.

Let us know,
nils

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jza8shwoff said:

Will
its Mech Tech up in escondido. The big boss JIM is tuning it. the only problem i had was a lot of miscommunication of what i wanted. i bought EVERYTHING i wanted for a single turbo upgrade and i heard the FCON-S had a built in VPC so instead of buying a lot of computers i decided on one unit. i heard a lot of good things about this computer also so i guess i chose the best for the best. the problem i had was that EVERYTHING wasnt EVERYTHING i was told. dont forget the pressure sensors, temp sensors, and harnesses. they thought i was going single with my stock maf sensor, which in anyones case shouldnt be in there anyway for any upgraded turbo set up. theres the miscommunication!! so if you want this thing make sure you say your going to remove the maf or they will just send the computer and main harness. so a lot of time was wasted waiting for parts. plus if you dont know anything about turbos your screwed because there is no instructions for the end user, only for the pro HKS tuners. luckily i knew my shit so i had no problems installing it myself. also i was lucky to even get this because i called HKS and they said i wasnt even supposed to get my hands on this yet.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
since you already have this in your car............what else does this thing do? all i know is that it has a built in VPC and eliminates use for the boost cut controller. i know it can use two GCC's also. and it looks nice too! what other features does it have. i know when i brought it to JIM at Mech Tech he said this thing was a bad ass computer. any details????

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this unit the equivalent of the AEM ECU? In other words, is it plug-n-play and able to control all aspects of engine management?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no its not. the AEM unit replaces the factory ecm. this thing wires into the exsisting ecm and you can change "STUFF". i really dont know what it can change. its like a programable piggy back computer. i heard thing like timing, fuel maps, injectors sizing, etc.... but i really dont have anything on black and white.

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
OK...since this topic is getting a decent amount of replies...

I feel impelled to spill the info on it....

Jza8shwoff Will... I see you have picked up another Supra. It's been a while for you, do you still remember how to use a clutch? Just kidding...although I bet you kinda miss the cupholders, huh?.
Yes, I did pick up another supra...just couldnt stay away! :) I prefer the clutch after all...just cant beat having a 6spd. The cup holder aspect does suck..but taking out the ash tray and using that area is an okay solution.

I too am curious what shop is tuning the F Con S.... is it a HKS Pro shop? I would think that Will would know who was installing a F Con but since Will doesnt know I am assuming that someone imported a unit directly from Japan.
Nils, I just wanted to probe to see which HKS Pro Dealer it was..hehe. We are offically releasing the F CON S to all Pro dealers. A preprogrammed version for the WRX is not available. All the others are custom Pro Dealer Programs at the moment.

We are finishing up a pre-programmed one for the supra as I type this. It will be a pre-programmed unit that will replicate what VPC does for the stock twins. (upgraded turbo programs will be either a Pro Dealer option or pre-prorgrammed versions at a later date.

Will

·
Registered
53 Posts
small description for F-CON S

"HKS offers pre-programmed vehicle and tuning level specific plug-in systems. These are true plug and play units with vehicle specific wiring harnesses and are calibrated for a specific vehicle and its particular level of modification. Basic programs are calibrated for bolt-on modification levels of intake, exhaust, boost controller, down pipe, etc. These F-CON S units will offer the correct fuel and ignition curves to fully maximize the potential that the bolt-on modifications can offer. For certain applications, pre-programmed units will be available for applications with greater modification levels, such as turbo upgrades, larger injectors, and camshafts."

GOOD description of F-CON Pro V!

"Applicable to all kinds of fuel management systems - The F-CON V can work with almost any type of fuel computers, such as those determining the mass of the intake air by the flap door airflow meter, the pressure transducer or the throttle angle sensor. It can also control systems providing fuel by a single injector or multi injectors, controlling injectors simultaneously or individually, controlling spark timing simultaneously or individually, and those igniting by single coil with distributor or the multi-coils (direct ignition). Moreover, the F-CON V is applicable up to eight cylinder engines, controlling each cylinder individually.
Flexible system accpets all kinds of sensor signals - The F-CON V can understand almost any type of sensor signals such as any airflow meters, pressure sensors, throttle angle sensors, water temperature sensors, intake air temperature sensors, speed sensors, and crank angle sensors. Furthermore, addition to the original sensor signals, it can take signals that are produced by the HKS GCC2 (for the fuel and ignition) fuel mixture controller and the VPC. The F-CON V receives all of these signals and then processes the received data according to the maps and formulas installed in the EEP-ROM, as a result, it controls the engine more precisely and efficiently than the stock control unit does.
Directly controls fuel and ignition - The F-CON V directly controls not only the fuel system, but also the igntion system. It accurately reads the ignition timing produced by the factory controller, and then determines the best ignition timing considering the sensor signals and its maps. Therefore it manages ignition system more accurately than most ignition systems which trick the original sensors in order to make the original controller provide the desired ignition timing.
Capable of resetting fuel cut points - The F-CON V receives the airflow meter, pressure sensor and speed sensor signals before the original controller, therefore it can be set to prevent any fuel cut, such as high boost and high speed by limiting the signal passing through the F-CON V. In addition, the F-CON V controls engine beyond the rev limit by referring to the sensor signals and its map, even though the original controller stops providing both the injector and the ignition signal. In other words, the F-CON V is able to function by itself without receiving the signals from the original in order to extend the rev limit.
Scamble mode - Adding the optional scramble switch to the option connector at the front panel on the F-CON V, you are able to activate the scramble mode that increases horsepower at the moment. At that point, the F-CON V refers to set scramble maps. Since the scramble mode will be used for a short time period, the maps can be set so the engine produces the most power which might not be safe for long time use. Diagnosis display - In case of failure in the F-CON V unit, the airflow meter, pressure sensor, crank angle sensor, throttle position sensor, water temperature sensor or the intake air temperature sensor, the self diagnosis system warns of the failure by turning on its error LED located on the front panel.
Capable of managing a fully modified engine - The stock ROM replacement systems can't control the high power engine which produces the output signal beyond the limit of the original sensors. The F-CON V, however, can control them suitably by using an optional pressure sensor and changing the programs.
Easy fine-tune - There are several maps to choose from. The F-CON V can be tuned by selecting the proper maps from four fuel maps and four ignition maps. On the other hand, the stock ROM replacement-systems cant be tuned easily. To adjust differences in the engine specifications or the other conditions, you can select the maps by the tuning dipswitchs on the front of the F-CON V, or use the optional GCC2 and the fuel mixture controller for fine tune.
It is easy to re-program using a PC - Upon connecting the PC to the F-CON V, data can be exchanged between the F-CON V and your PC. Data such as diagnosis and engine signals can be viewed. Furthermore, the program determining the management of the engine can be re-programmed from your PC, since it is stored into the EEP-ROM. Replacing the ROM is no longer needed.
Surpasses the stock control unit performance - The F-CON V processes faster, controls the engine more precisely, and has a larger map than any stock control unit (ECU). No cutting of the engine harness required - The F-CON V can be installed without modifying the original harness or the control unit. Therefore you can easily switch the system back to the original by simply removing the F-CON V harness.
F-CON V is movable - The stock ROM replacement system has to stay with the original car in the event of changing the car to another model. In contrast, the F-CON V can be installed to another model by simply reprogramming it and purchasing a new harness (provided it is compatible). In addition, you pay a price mostly for the software for the stock ROM replacement systems, since a cost of the ROM itself is minimal. However, the F-CON V contains the value of both the software and hardware which will last for a long time. "

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jza8shwoff said:
OK...since this topic is getting a decent amount of replies...

I feel impelled to spill the info on it....

Yes, I did pick up another supra...just couldnt stay away! :) I prefer the clutch after all...just cant beat having a 6spd. The cup holder aspect does suck..but taking out the ash tray and using that area is an okay solution.

Nils, I just wanted to probe to see which HKS Pro Dealer it was..hehe. We are offically releasing the F CON S to all Pro dealers. A preprogrammed version for the WRX is not available. All the others are custom Pro Dealer Programs at the moment.

We are finishing up a pre-programmed one for the supra as I type this. It will be a pre-programmed unit that will replicate what VPC does for the stock twins. (upgraded turbo programs will be either a Pro Dealer option or pre-prorgrammed versions at a later date.

Will
Cool!!!

finally =))

Will you pre-program one for the to4r?? ;) I am assuming that Gabe will have one pretty soon...

Let me know,
nils

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Sorry for the half response last night...the site went down mid reply!

its Mech Tech up in escondido. The big boss JIM is tuning it. the only problem i had was a lot of miscommunication of what i wanted. i bought EVERYTHING i wanted for a single turbo upgrade and i heard the FCON-S had a built in VPC so instead of buying a lot of computers i decided on one unit. i heard a lot of good things about this computer also so i guess i chose the best for the best. the problem i had was that EVERYTHING wasnt EVERYTHING i was told. dont forget the pressure sensors, temp sensors, and harnesses. they thought i was going single with my stock maf sensor, which in anyones case shouldnt be in there anyway for any upgraded turbo set up. theres the miscommunication!! so if you want this thing make sure you say your going to remove the maf or they will just send the computer and main harness. so a lot of time was wasted waiting for parts. plus if you dont know anything about turbos your screwed because there is no instructions for the end user, only for the pro HKS tuners. luckily i knew my shit so i had no problems installing it myself. also i was lucky to even get this because i called HKS and they said i wasnt even supposed to get my hands on this yet.
The F Con S, just like the VPC, typically requires a plug in harness for a simplier install and seamless operation. Sorry that mech tech didnt notify you of it. Techically, it can be hardwired (no harness) but i dont recommend it if there is a harness available.

You can use the S with the harness and the stock maf with no probs at all. If you do want to remove the MAF, the yes you will need to get the pressure and temp sensor - speed density.

I am testing the US version on my car right now and will update you all soon.

Will

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jza8shwoff said:
Sorry for the half response last night...the site went down mid reply!

The F Con S, just like the VPC, typically requires a plug in harness for a simplier install and seamless operation. Sorry that mech tech didnt notify you of it. Techically, it can be hardwired (no harness) but i dont recommend it if there is a harness available.

You can use the S with the harness and the stock maf with no probs at all. If you do want to remove the MAF, the yes you will need to get the pressure and temp sensor - speed density.

I am testing the US version on my car right now and will update you all soon.

Will
Will,
Could we use the sensors of the VPC on the F-Con?

take care,
nils

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
since you already have this in your car............what else does this thing do? all i know is that it has a built in VPC and eliminates use for the boost cut controller. i know it can use two GCC's also. and it looks nice too! what other features does it have. i know when i brought it to JIM at Mech Tech he said this thing was a bad ass computer. any details????
The F-CON S controls not only the fuel curve, but also can control the ignition curve. With a 3 bar pressure sensor and temp sensor, it can perform the "VPC function" of removing the stock MAF. The unit also have a built in FCD (which is what I think you are referring to when you menttion boost control) For the F-CON S, you will still need to use a boost controller. The two GCC output/input harness it has is designed for minor fuel and ignition timing via optional GCC units. Basically the F-CON S unit is a piggy back system - in the sense that it simply plugs in via a vehicle specific harness (like the VPC), but offers many features of a standalone - full fuel and ignition mapping, acceleration, throttle and temperature affected fuel trimming, etc...

Will you pre-program one for the to4r?? I am assuming that Gabe will have one pretty soon...
Nils, I am more than sure that there will be one for the to4r, let alone the other turbo upgrades that HKS offers. Ill keep you up to date..or even bug Alex

thanks

Will

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Could we use the sensors of the VPC on the F-Con?
The Pressure sensor is different, but the temp sensor is the same.

I believe that the unit for the Supras maybe be sold with all the sensors and harnesses - similar to the way the VPC is sold for the supra.

will

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jza8shwoff said:

The Pressure sensor is different, but the temp sensor is the same.

I believe that the unit for the Supras maybe be sold with all the sensors and harnesses - similar to the way the VPC is sold for the supra.

will
Will,
thx for the updated. Looking forward to seeing soem good results from the F-Con =)

take care,
nils

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jza8shwoff said:

The F-CON S controls not only the fuel curve, but also can control the ignition curve. With a 3 bar pressure sensor and temp sensor, it can perform the "VPC function" of removing the stock MAF. The unit also have a built in FCD (which is what I think you are referring to when you menttion boost control) For the F-CON S, you will still need to use a boost controller. The two GCC output/input harness it has is designed for minor fuel and ignition timing via optional GCC units. Basically the F-CON S unit is a piggy back system - in the sense that it simply plugs in via a vehicle specific harness (like the VPC), but offers many features of a standalone - full fuel and ignition mapping, acceleration, throttle and temperature affected fuel trimming, etc...

Nils, I am more than sure that there will be one for the to4r, let alone the other turbo upgrades that HKS offers. Ill keep you up to date..or even bug Alex

thanks

Will
yeah the pressure sensor is different. i think they said i was a wide band sensor. im not sure. just to let you know and not to forget the tapping of the tach signal wire adn the resistor thats very hard to find for the maf sensor. i think its a .8 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. i think thats what jim said. also you said that there is no program for the WRX's?? mech tech tuned two of these but he said it was weak because they had no real numbers since they dont have a all wheel drive dyno. right now my car sits waiting to get fired up due to the resistor that we cant find. it should be up and running around 5 this afternoon and dyno time tomorrow. i will video tape it all and take some digital pictures and mpegs. i cant wait to see some numbers...........next is the quest for smog!!

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
For the WRX, I meant "now" available..sorry not "not available"..typo there. The WRX was the first program available.

As for the harness, there will be a US version that comes with each kit. I have a test harness right now.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts