Supra Forums banner

Fed Up! Weld Wheels Shank Lug Nut Washers. Anyone Have Advice? Know A Trick?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Supra Schnauzer 
#1 ·
I have 15” rear Weld RTS wheels on my MKIV that require the shank lugs with washers. My frustration is when tightening the lug nuts the separate washers keep falling off and then I have to take lug nut back off and use a screwdriver or magnet to get washer back out and start again. I’ve even tried to use a screwdriver or magnet to hold washer on while I tighten lug nut. But that doesn’t really work because screwdriver and magnet gets in the way. It takes forever to get just one wheel one. Maybe it’s just me or I am doing it wrong. I’ve never had a problem installing a lug nut before. It’a gotten overly annoying at this point. Does anyone have any trick or advice to help get the washers and lugs on at the same time quicker and easier?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about quicker and easier but I leave the washer on the nut and thread them in slowly without it slipping. Once they are close to seated into the hole I start working with the others and so on. Once they are all “loosely seated” I zap them in little by little till tight. Prob takes me 5 mins to do.

#7 · (Edited)
I have used the grease trick on mine with little success. I usually run them in really slow. It takes awhile and sometimes the washer still falls off but I don't take them off often enough for it to really bother.
Surely there are lugs we are unaware of that have the washer attached?
Just got new coil overs and taking wheels on and off to get things dialed in has been a major pita. I wonder if I used something sticky to make washers stick on the insides of the lug holes on the wheels if that would do the trick..

#14 ·
I used Loctite super glue ultra control. Put a dab on all six corners of lug nut. Let it dry for about 5 minutes and it stayed on. When I took lug back off, the washer comes back off. So it won’t hold strong enough to keep washer on when you take lug nuts back off. However when I went to reinstall lug nut there was still enough residual glue on lug nut/washer to still hold them together. Maybe every third time removing lug nuts I’ll apply some more loctite super glue. Still better than fighting a washer for 5 minutes to get it to stay on the lug nut. I wish Weld or someone would just make a some with integrated washers already ugh…

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.