Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I know the topic of LCD Televisions has been discussed plenty of times before, but since I can't search Off-Topic I'm not even going to bother trying to look for it.

Basically I want to buy this television:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-52s4100/4507-6482_7-33351257.html?tag=rnav

It's @ Costco right now for $1599.99. My only concern is, since I found out it is a 60hz LCD television, will I have a lot of blurring/skipping when watching action flicks and playing console action games? If there is blurring, is it pretty unnoticeable? I have never owned a flat screen television of any kind, so I have no idea how common or overexaggerated "blurring" is since I only have been reading reviews online. Is it worth shelling out an extra couple hundred dollars for a 120hz?

Thank you everyone in advance for any feedback/personal experiences.

·
V,B
655 Posts
Hey Guys,

My only concern is, since I found out it is a 60hz LCD television, will I have a lot of blurring/skipping when watching action flicks and playing console action games? If there is blurring, is it pretty unnoticeable? I have never owned a flat screen television of any kind, so I have no idea how common or overexaggerated "blurring" is since I only have been reading reviews online. Is it worth shelling out an extra couple hundred dollars for a 120hz?

Thank you everyone in advance for any feedback/personal experiences.
no, you won't have any problem with 60hz. I own a 120hz tv and it only makes the movie look fake. I honestly don't see any benefit.
do yourself a favor and get the Samsung LN52A650. it might not be the king compared to expensive LCD with local dimming LED, but it's the best LCD priced under $2000.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
Personally, I feel it gives everything the "soap opera effect" and messed up the look of 24fps. I've never watched a sports game on one though, only the demos. That's the only situation I can think of where it would be nice to have. That or maybe a fast game? But I also don't know what media you'll find at that refresh rate. In short, you have to look at it yourself to see if you think it's worth it for you, but it'll make regular shows look bad when it's on.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I watched Lord of the Rings on my buddy's 120hz samsung the other night and it looked like shit. We turned it down to 60hz after about 5 minutes.

·
used to be member 66
532 Posts
Like everyone has stated the 120hz thing is so "2 years ago sales pitch" LOL. Most people that have tv with it turn it off cause of the soap opera effect. Plasma>LCD ohnoes:

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I feel it gives everything the "soap opera effect" and messed up the look of 24fps. I've never watched a sports game on one though, only the demos. That's the only situation I can think of where it would be nice to have. That or maybe a fast game? But I also don't know what media you'll find at that refresh rate. In short, you have to look at it yourself to see if you think it's worth it for you, but it'll make regular shows look bad when it's on.
I'm sorry c0dy, but are you talking about 120hz televisions giving everything a "soap opera effect"?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I remember watching Resident Evil on a friend's new LCD television, and I didn't know why it looked so damn fake. It lost the "movie feel", is this what you guys mean by the "soap opera effect"?

·
1,793 Posts
I like the 120H for video games and animated movies (like Wall-E and Kung-Fu Panda). If you've ever seen that terrible show Torchwood (shot at 60fps instead of 24), that's what it looks like on regular movies.

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
i recently bought a new tv, LN40A550 (for the price and size of my apartment, its perfect, with a good calibration looks fantastic :) ), and spent a good amount of time deciding on either a 60hz and a 120hz.. IMO, a 120hz cost>benefit. i think at most it would be nice playing games, and maybe sports... but i game about 5 hours a week, and dont watch many sports anymore since i cant get east coast games on the west coast through comcast.. unless the packers, red wings or michigan state are playing out west or in the playoffs, im stuck to "real time" packers.com scoring.

60hz has been around forever, its proven and liked, someone somewhere decided going 120hz would be a good idea, i think its just another gimmick to up the price of a tv.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
i recently bought a new tv, LN40A550 (for the price and size of my apartment, its perfect, with a good calibration looks fantastic :) ), and spent a good amount of time deciding on either a 60hz and a 120hz.. IMO, a 120hz cost>benefit. i think at most it would be nice playing games, and maybe sports... but i game about 5 hours a week, and dont watch many sports anymore since i cant get east coast games on the west coast through comcast.. unless the packers, red wings or michigan state are playing out west or in the playoffs, im stuck to "real time" packers.com scoring.

60hz has been around forever, its proven and liked, someone somewhere decided going 120hz would be a good idea, i think its just another gimmick to up the price of a tv.
I've got the same tv and am in agreement...it looks great even without the 120hz or being a very expensive set.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
60 hz = lose.

For gaming anyway, I've had most 60 hz tv's make tekken un-playable laggy .

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
dude, 60hz fucking blows. 120hz on LCD is so fuckin awesome on action movies, video games and sports games.

120HZ on UFC events look fuckin amazing.

:lol: @ "Soap opera effect" and "looks fake"
really? cause the shit looked pretty real to me...the motion is much more fluid like in say..um..real life..
so yeah...plus with 120hz tv's, you can dial that shit down to 60hz whenever you feel like it...its better to have those kind of options.

·
just an old toyota
128 Posts
I own a 120hz tv and it only makes the movie look fake. I honestly don't see any benefit.
do yourself a favor and get the Samsung LN52A650.

Isn't that contradicting to put it down, then go on to recommend it?

I own this model. Best home entertainment purchase ever. The AMP is great for sports, games, and any movie with animation. Regular film movies it should be turned off.

·
V,B
655 Posts
Isn't that contradicting to put it down, then go on to recommend it?

I own this model. Best home entertainment purchase ever. The AMP is great for sports, games, and any movie with animation. Regular film movies it should be turned off.
I absolutely LOVE my LN52A650, but not because of the AMP. I tried the AMP thing for a few days and decided to turn it off for good.
my best home entertainment purchase ever by far

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
120HZ on UFC events look fuckin amazing.

:lol: @ "Soap opera effect" and "looks fake"
really? cause the shit looked pretty real to me...the motion is much more fluid like in say..um..real life..
so yeah...plus with 120hz tv's, you can dial that shit down to 60hz whenever you feel like it...its better to have those kind of options.
As I said: I've never watched sports on them, and for those events it may be better, but you know how soap operas don't look like most other shows? Because they're shot in a different frame rate. I don't want a multi million dollar budget movie to look like it was shot with an $800 HD camera... They shoot at 24fps for a reason. If you can't see that it ruins regular movies then you have horrible eyes because it's very pronounced (I know you can turn it down, but what's the point in owning it if you're going to have it off 90% of the time? I'd rather - and did - just spend that money on a better picture). He asked "Is it worth shelling out an extra couple hundred dollars for a 120hz?" and got our responses :dunno:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts