Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

After some VERY Spirited driving (By Steve Jarvis - checks in the mail btw Steve... and thanks for all your help this weekend!) it was quite obvious that under full suspension loading that the fender lip was rubbing the tire. If you don't plan to hit the track I think you're fine with the wheel/tire combo I am running without trimming.

So... I decided that yesterday would be a good time to take care of it.

All I have to say is that Rotozip rules! I used the carbon fiber disk for cutting sheet metal, etc. And it sliced through the lip VERY cleanly and quickly. I would only cut for short periods so to make sure the metal didn't get hot and bubble the paint. The disk NEVER and I mean NEVER got even warm.... carbon fiber is some cool stuff!!

After cutting I went back over the edges with the sanding/polishing disk... it was smooth enough that I could rub my finger over it without cutting myself.

Then I painted the exposed metal with some touch-up paint to make sure it wouldn't corrode. I'll probably go back over the seam with some tar-like sealant just to be sure.

I built a guide which extended over the fender lip so it would be virtually impossible to cut beyond the desired depth. I would NOT recommend trying to cut fenders withouy a guide/shield of some sort... as all it takes is one slip or snag and it could seriously ruin your paint.

I finished one fender and will do the other fender next weekend.

Just thought you guys might be interested.

That first cut was damn scary! But so far so good...

·
3,148 Posts
Now you have the experience you will need when you put 315's on next time and need to cut some more. :)

Later, Steve

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve Jarvis said:
Now you have the experience you will need when you put 315's on next time and need to cut some more. :)

Later, Steve

Who do you think I am Andi? :)

I'll be happy when I'm all done... my car seems to ALWAYs be up on jack stands for one thing or another lately.

Although 315s would look AWESOME! Maybe you can talk Jonathan into trying out the 315s ;)
Let me know when you get that picture!!! hahaha

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nito822 said:
Jim,

I see the car is running. What was the problem? Loose wiring?

Ben,

I'm starting to think that it's just the cold-start fuel maps.... once the car is started once it runs fine. I can turn it off and it re-fires. Only when it sits overnight does it seem to have problems. It only started happening once the weather turned cold...

Sunday morning however it started right up.. but it was a warm day Sunday.

We'll see.... atleast I know how to start it consistently now!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts