Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken these out of the front ?
Mine are worn down and ragged and I can see at freeway speeds where it might blow back and rub the tire causing premature wear.
Should I get new ones installed or is there any "real" benefit to having them anyways ?
I know the "maybe a rock might fly up and break something" theory but come on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There are wire harnesses that run along the top of the inner fender. Without the fenderliners, they will most likely become damaged. The are just held oin with screws. Can you not fix?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
apparently you're missing some hardware, otherwise the liner would never get blown out of it's place, and there is no way it would cause for the tires to wear prematurely,trust me, I've seen them all, the main reason they are there is to keep dirt and rock from slinging up in the bumper and fender and causing damage, they also serve few more purposes, one of them is to keep the front bumper cover in place,
Get new ones installed, they will set you back about $250,if you get complete 4 piece set for both sides
Stefan

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No cause when I bought the car it was already ragged. the front 1\2 of the liner is just eaten away so there's no holes to screw it. It just sorta hangs. The back and top screws are in but I can see where it would blow back and rub the tire and faster speeds.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i had teh same question. Currently my passenger front vent rubs my tires (intercooler pipes push it outwards)

I wanna just take out the front gaurd? i looked and it doesnt seem like theres much to hit?

i would def leave the top and rear ones on. I just wanna take off the one with the cooling vents for the brakes etc.

pretty much the only thing a rock could hit is the isnide of the bumper.

any opinions

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
exposing those wires to road debris is def. a Bad idea

·
Registered
428 Posts
The fender liners? Or are you talking about the splash guards that seperate the wheel well from the engine bay?

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
Just replace the liners. It isn't a good idea to remove them because of the wire harnesses. The owner of my car before me removed them, and when I bought it I didnt replace them. My tires ended up rubbing through the wire rubber and water then corroded the wires. Also the "firewall hole" is now exposed and water can make it in through there. It happened to me and fried my electrical system. I ended up having to have Sound Performance fix the mess, which included replaceing the entire engine wire harness and pretty much all electrical wires due to liquid corrosion. Needless to say, I now have my fender liners in the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts