Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to see some close up pics of rolled or cut rear fenders. Interested in the end result whether it was done by a shop or a DIY job. :) thanks. :)
searched..and no luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Thanks for the pics supra sean98, do you know what tool was used to do this, how much of the fender was cut and did it require rolling afterwards?
thanks again.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
At Paint...

Done...

The shop pulled out the whole fender a bit. I've got about 1"-1.25" more clearance on each side. No rolled look at all.

Granted, this isn't your normal cut and roll kinda job, but since the whole car was under the knife for repaint and a few other body mods, I though it was a good time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop pulled out the whole fender a bit. I've got about 1"-1.25" more clearance on each side. No rolled look at all.

Granted, this isn't your normal cut and roll kinda job, but since the whole car was under the knife for repaint and a few other body mods, I though it was a good time.
Thanks James, so from what ive seen so far and info gathered from others, cutting/trimming the rear fenders is a better route than rolling? Can this be something you can do yourself with the right tools? with so many Supras now with bigger/wider rim & tire setups, there should be a sticky with steps on how to do this properly.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
i rolled my fenders my self , i was skeptical but got frustrated cuz nobody would do it for me so i bought the tool and did it in my driveway ....i was surprised how easy it was , since then i did a couple of other cars and the supra was by far easier

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i rolled my fenders my self , i was skeptical but got frustrated cuz nobody would do it for me so i bought the tool and did it in my driveway ....i was surprised how easy it was , since then i did a couple of other cars and the supra was by far easier
nice. pics of the tool and what are the steps ?

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
i dont have pics but look up eastwood fender roller on the internet ....you attach the roller to the hub with the wheel off , heat up the fender lip with a heat gun and adjust it to get a slight bend or roll of the lip then you go back and forth across the lip (front to back) then you tighten it down just a little more and repeat until its rolled ...the key to it it only do a little at a time and keep the lip hot ....better off doing it when its warm out also

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Eastwood gets $250 for the tool, but it's a pretty nice tool.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT

PS: I've always wondered if a tightly bent back lip that is much more likely to catch and hold dirt might not lead to faster corrosion. Trapped dirt like that, especially as it repeatedly gets wet and dry, is an aggressive media for starting corrosion. Maybe first really clean and then coat the inside surface with undercoating or something like that before rolling?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
At Paint...

Can I get some more specifics on this. See I wanted to run the do-luck front fenders and I hear that the car can look unbalanced with just the front widened. But I'd like to avoid molding rear fenders in and all that.

How wide of a tire can you run with the fenders pulled out like you have? Do the fenders look deformed or anything? I would think that by pulling the fender out like that you would notice a rather different curvature of the rear end.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
How wide of a tire can you run with the fenders pulled out like you have? Do the fenders look deformed or anything? I would think that by pulling the fender out like that you would notice a rather different curvature of the rear end.

I did not do anything to the front fenders. Only rears.
The curvature is not noticeable unless you know the supra curve. As for quality of the curve, it is symetrical, no ripples, and follows the line personally how I think it should have been made instead of a sudden drop off/flat line.

Tire - the tires on the car are too narrow (275). I usually run a set of 325/50/15 mickey Thompson DR's... they clear just fine. No rubbing in the turns even with them now.

Here are a few more pics the day I picked it up...
NOTE - don't mind the piece of tape on the rear quarters. Leting a piece of trim glued on dry since the top bolt holes are now gone from the clearancing.

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
aluminum baseball bat does wonders too.....and its a hell of a lot cheaper. Your just going to have to get a shop to use some sealant to keep the areas where the paint chips off from rusting.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
aluminum baseball bat does wonders too.....and its a hell of a lot cheaper. Your just going to have to get a shop to use some sealant to keep the areas where the paint chips off from rusting.
Can you post up the details on how its done? I would also like to know a bodyshop does it exactly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
^ Thanks for the pics supra sean98, do you know what tool was used to do this, how much of the fender was cut and did it require rolling afterwards?
thanks again.
When I first went to the shop I wanted them to roll the fenders but they strongly recomended that I have them cut instead. They said that there was a high chance that the paint will chip and possibly the fender might warp even when heat is applied. I decided to have them cut the fenders and they charged 90 dollars. Sorry, I have no idea what kind of tool they used. They cut about 10mm and no rolling was required.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I can get pics tomorrow. Rolled and hammered flat. Minimal paint damage, and about as much room as you can get without flairing. Good enough to fit +17 up front and +21 in rear.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i cut mine and took pics of the whole procedure but i dont know how to post them... i could email them to someone if they wanted to put them up...

brian

·
Registered
260 Posts
i cut mine and took pics of the whole procedure but i dont know how to post them... i could email them to someone if they wanted to put them up...

brian
I had a hard time at first but its actually really easy. All you need to do is open an account at photobucket.com which is free and download your pictures. Under every picture that you download there will be an img code which are a series of numbers and letters. Copy the img seris numbers and letters to your post and thats it you have posted your picture.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts
About this Discussion
276 Replies
141 Participants
1LSWON
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing