Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done doing a hg repair and had a few questions.....

1. when i went to put the j-tube back on there was no gasket and im pretty sure there never was one to begin with. i do need one right??

2. there is also a gasket for the water housing right. one for in between the head and housing?

3. i jacked my car up to get at the intercooler piping and when i lowered it back down my passenger side sits like a couple fucking inches higher. i jacked it up from the frame (not any suspension components).

4. i lost a couple washers.......... 1 for the lower fuel line that runs through the backside of the upper intake manifold and 1 for the turbo oil line. will i be okay with 1 washer on 1 side and none on the other side?

5. on that fuel line that runs through the backside of the upper intake manifold..........in order to get that banjo bolt off i really had to crank on it and it bent the line a little bit. i bent it back but i still dont know if that could have really clogged it or not. how do i check for fuel (pressure) if it doesnt start up?

6. tomorrow i'll be setting the timing........if i screw up do i really have to drain all my coolant to get the timing cover off? (i want mine on)

thanks for the help, hopefully it'll start up tomorrow after i finish everything up

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Dark006 said:
i just got done doing a hg repair and had a few questions.....

1. when i went to put the j-tube back on there was no gasket and im pretty sure there never was one to begin with. i do need one right??

I think that plate is just a bracket. No fuel flows through that plate/bracket where it mounts to the block.The fuel line part is a separate piece molded into it.If that is the case, I don''t think there is any gasket.I am not sure on this one....but someone can correct me.

2. there is also a gasket for the water housing right. one for in between the head and housing?

There is no gasket there. There is a round rubber seal that fits around the thermostat only.That is all you need. Be careful when you tighten those 2 bolts..they break easily or cracks the housing.

3. i jacked my car up to get at the intercooler piping and when i lowered it back down my passenger side sits like a couple fucking inches higher. i jacked it up from the frame (not any suspension components).

Raise it up again and check the spring seating.Sometimes the springs can ride on the perch...

4. i lost a couple washers.......... 1 for the lower fuel line that runs through the backside of the upper intake manifold and 1 for the turbo oil line. will i be okay with 1 washer on 1 side and none on the other side?

You can get those washers at the local car parts store. Just take the 1 you have for sample. They should be regular copper washers.Otherwise it will leak because those are Banjo bolts. Needs to seal from both sides.

5. on that fuel line that runs through the backside of the upper intake manifold..........in order to get that banjo bolt off i really had to crank on it and it bent the line a little bit. i bent it back but i still dont know if that could have really clogged it or not. how do i check for fuel (pressure) if it doesnt start up?

Id say just wait to start the car and find out the fuel pressure.

6. tomorrow i'll be setting the timing........if i screw up do i really have to drain all my coolant to get the timing cover off? (i want mine on)

NO. You don't have to drain your coolant. The upper Radiator hose and the thermostat housing will need to come off for easy access, but coolant loss will be minimal. For the upper radiator hose, take off only the housing side and bend it an it will prevent coolant from the radiator spilling.

thanks for the help, hopefully it'll start up tomorrow after i finish everything up
YOu are welcome

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you really dont need a gasket between the head and the therm housing?? its like metal on metal. i have the o-ring one for the the thermostat itself, just not the housing that attaches to the head.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Dark006 said:
you really dont need a gasket between the head and the therm housing?? its like metal on metal. i have the o-ring one for the the thermostat itself, just not the housing that attaches to the head.
There is no gasket there. The rubber thing seals the water. I for a good measure just put some Gasket sealnt and then tighten them up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts