Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering if some of you more experienced guys can offer some knowledge to me.

last week at pacNW i put down 700whp on the dyno and the night before i was at the strip doing some "spinfest 2011 runs on street tires".

ive seen some stuff over the years and i would think my trap speed should be higher for 700hp

i was consistantly trapping 125mph with times around 13-14sec @ 115-125mph and my best was 12.7 @ 125

how come i only picked up 5 mph from my old setup that was 500whp running 13-15sec @ 120mph

dont worry about my street tire use, i dont have slicks and we had some traffic/rain problems that made me not use my buddy's slicks.
i didnt wanan go through rush hour in vancouver BC, to get slicks and arrive at mission raceway at 7pm only to discover it was raining.
so we just went at 4:30pm instead and did a bunch of hotlaps thanks to the rain threats making no cars show up :D

heres the breakdown on my best run. and btw my 60 foots were always horrible around 3 sec but this best run was like half a second better in the first 60 feet.

60' - 2.517
330 - 6.122
1/8 - 8.784
MPH - 97.82
1000 - 10.957
/4 - 12.773
MPH - 125.22

so far i hear that running 12.7 on street tires is pretty good and i also hear that i should pick up some MPH with proper tires.

shouldnt i be trapping like 130mph+ even though i spin alot?

ill really appreciate some physics related responses or if its possible to pick up like 5-10mph by getting traction.

im pretty noob on the track.
im just a bit concerned that the dyno was lying a bit.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres the dyno.

im not sure if its normal for the high rpm to waver like that or if it looks like it could be some wheelspin making it seem like higher power than it really was

one of the cars before me backfired and broke the printer. :lol: so i had to scam a screenshot from their computer.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes you should be trapping at least 130+. Practice makes perfect: is the car stick or auto?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
One thing to look at is you peaking at 700 HP but you carried it for nothing. I assuming this dyno is in 3 rd gear and I would look into why you only holding it for a split second. Not sure if you not reving high enough or its the tune. Could be pump/ meth and not running race gas. More info needed but don't get caught up in peak numbers.

Staats

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just a indication of what your doing WRONG and VERY DANGEROUS. I only make 680whp and trap 144 and went 9.80 with a bent turbo shaft and blades grinding into the housing.....So your mph and ets are going to be totally a waste of time and WAY off from any indication of what your car is capable of. Please do not ever take a car like that to the strip again unless your on a full slick and skinny combo or your asking to hit the wall and get hurt or total your car. So to answer your questions, with good driving, proper tire setup you should would be going much faster.

I have friends with that power and have trapped mid to upper 140's and gone in the 9 sec range. Auto and stick with that kinda power.

I would recommend next time you go have a friend bring your tires in another vehicle and switch them at the track. Borrow or buy a true drag wheel setup with a slick. Its just a bad idea to take that much power unexpected to the track and spin all over the place. You just asking to hurt yourself or destroy your car.

·
An out of line 2J
1,273 Posts
Just a indication of what your doing WRONG and VERY DANGEROUS. I only make 680whp and trap 144 and went 9.80 with a bent turbo shaft and blades grinding into the housing.....So your mph and ets are going to be totally a waste of time and WAY off from any indication of what your car is capable of. Please do not ever take a car like that to the strip again unless your on a full slick and skinny combo or your asking to hit the wall and get hurt or total your car. So to answer your questions, with good driving, proper tire setup you should would be going much faster.

I have friends with that power and have trapped mid to upper 140's and gone in the 9 sec range. Auto and stick with that kinda power.

I would recommend next time you go have a friend bring your tires in another vehicle and switch them at the track. Borrow or buy a true drag wheel setup with a slick. Its just a bad idea to take that much power unexpected to the track and spin all over the place. You just asking to hurt yourself or destroy your car.
Confused.
You're saying that running a 700HP car at the track is dangerous because it's on street tires?
That's more dangerous than running that combo on the street and risking it around other people?
I would think that running slicks and launching hard has just as much potential to break something (if not more so) which severely increases the risk of crashing...

·
An out of line 2J
1,273 Posts
im just wondering if some of you more experienced guys can offer some knowledge to me.

last week at pacNW i put down 700whp on the dyno and the night before i was at the strip doing some "spinfest 2011 runs on street tires".

ive seen some stuff over the years and i would think my trap speed should be higher for 700hp

i was consistantly trapping 125mph with times around 13-14sec @ 115-125mph and my best was 12.7 @ 125

how come i only picked up 5 mph from my old setup that was 500whp running 13-15sec @ 120mph

dont worry about my street tire use, i dont have slicks and we had some traffic/rain problems that made me not use my buddy's slicks.
i didnt wanan go through rush hour in vancouver BC, to get slicks and arrive at mission raceway at 7pm only to discover it was raining.
so we just went at 4:30pm instead and did a bunch of hotlaps thanks to the rain threats making no cars show up :D

heres the breakdown on my best run. and btw my 60 foots were always horrible around 3 sec but this best run was like half a second better in the first 60 feet.

60' - 2.517
330 - 6.122
1/8 - 8.784
MPH - 97.82
1000 - 10.957
/4 - 12.773
MPH - 125.22

so far i hear that running 12.7 on street tires is pretty good and i also hear that i should pick up some MPH with proper tires.

shouldnt i be trapping like 130mph+ even though i spin alot?

ill really appreciate some physics related responses or if its possible to pick up like 5-10mph by getting traction.

im pretty noob on the track.
im just a bit concerned that the dyno was lying a bit.
I run with street tires occasionally too (I find it fun to roll up to the track, make a few passes and roll out without stopping).
There is pretty much no way your going to get out of the hole in first without a lot of clutch slip or some fancy peddling. You can practice at a stop light to find that perfect combo that get's the car moving but doesn't spin like crazy. Unless your progressing boost some way, then you'll have to feather the throttle to keep both first and second gear from spinning. After that, you're pretty much home free.
What size and type street tire are you using? I've also run a couple different types at the track and there are some that are way better than others.
I think you should be trapping higher once you get that spin under control. I did a 134 trap two years ago on my 680map with street tires so it's doable.
P.S. Sorry about breaking the printer :)

·
Boost Junkie
12,800 Posts
You can throw must of your slip out the window, however, during that pass you were not making 700whp. Your split times from the 1/8th mile to the 1/4 mile was right at 4 seconds. I assume you probably weren't spinning after the 1/8th mile mark. Most 700whp Supras go in the 3.5-3.6 range for the last 1/8th mile. You were 4-5 tenths more. Doesn't sounds like much, but it is about 40-50whp.

Now that I look at your dyno it makes sense. You hit 700whp, but at a very high RPM. Most Supras make peak power around 6500 and hold it to redline, or it may come down slightly. Your car doesn't make 700whp until the last few hundred rpm. Therefore, it is going to trap more like a 650whp car, so instead of trapping 137-138mph, you'd be lucky to trap 132-133mph. So with the amount of spinning you had you may be getting close.

I'd def. go back with some sticky tires and see what it will do.

Steve

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Not trying to be nasty or argue with you but im just saying regardless of how much power it has made on a dyno...spinning alllll the way down the track is your problem 100% of why your not getting what your expecting out of your car. And im saying, well....what do you expect if you go to a drag strip with a 700hp car on full street tires haha. And yes spinning and wheel hopping all the way down the track while going sideways ( which im sure you did quit a bit with that much spin ) is far far more dangerous then you launching the car on full drag package trust me...i been there i done that. My car barely ever has a issue on slicks it's alot straighter and safer. You in fact could not pay me to run my car on street tires.

So with all that being said your mph that your looking for is thrown out the window cause your just spinning all over the place on street tires. But to answer your question should it go faster and can it? Yes of course. Just come back with the right setup and be safe bud, none of us wanna hear that you crashed your car.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx for the responses. car is 6 spd.
and the tires are 285 yokohama avs sport. 280 treadwear i think. lol

jrock637 thx for your concern lol, but im quite proficient at getting off the throttle when she gets too hairy.
im not really worried about going into the wall unless something breaks

i always thought trap speed was one of the best indicators of true power regardless of traction, etc.
thats why its even an issue to me.

i have suspicions that my clutch isnt holding the power too. yesterday i did a lil pull and i smelled clutch after so im getting more and more confident that its slipping slightly at WOT.

im definitely gonna get some slicks soon but i dont goto the track that often so its more of a backburner project to get the car strip prepped.

also thx 1A1, that makes alot of sense. whether it be from dyno queen style powerband or from clutch slipping.
the dyno sheet definitely can indicate that aswell. even seat of the pants feels like the dyno sheet.

if my clutch is slipping at WOT (its only rated 590 ft lbs) then it should die pretty quick and when it does i plan on getting an RPS twin carbon, so we'll see how she does after that.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
its not spinning all the way, only 1st and 2nd spin and i usually get off the throttle because of wheel hop in 1st, so thats why my times are so crap every time.

if 3rd spins then its not detectable from the driver seat. im pretty sure its not spinning due to the clutch being a failure. to the point where its actually making me mad now because its an extra unknown thats probably jamming a huge stick in the spoke when it comes to figuring out whats happening.

i try and keep it as safe as i can. i know what wheelspin in 3rd and 4th feels like and its hella scary and i always get out of the throttle immediately before it gets too sideways.
its not doing that much. and quite frankly i used to spin in 3rd more often with 500whp than i do with 700.

after smelling clutch yesterday i think i found a huge part of the equation here.

i also havent mentioned yet but i was getting moderate clutch fade on the 3rd > 4th gear change at the track. but ive already adjusted the clutch before that so engagement wise it should be 100% and the only thing after that is too much power for the clamping force.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When backing off the throttle due to wheelspin under acceleration, gradually bring the pedal up. Lifting off the gas quickly can unload the rear end and create even more problems.

·
Mindset of a Killer...
1,778 Posts
I feel like putting in a dyno queen reference here but I like you agm. :lol:

But honesty agm you should look into getting some ET streets or drag radials to really see what your car can do trap wise. You won't see anything near to what your car can do with street tires at the strip. There are plenty of drag radials you can drive in the rain. All you have to do is turn the boost down to a level where you can drive it in the rain.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Unfortunately, I have taken a few street tire Supras down the track. Just to give you an idea. All within 500whp - 550whp. All trapped between 118 - 123. All et'd 12.2 - 12.0. So you have a lot of et left even with street tires. Car just needs to be setup properly.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Something is deff wrong since me and you have almost the same setup even down to street tires but idk how much my car is really making (somewhere around 700) and my car went 134 spinning 1st 2nd 3rd. That was the first time at the tarck ever too so I cant say the driver mod is there lol

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im pretty sure the clutch is ratbagged. but its gonna cost me $2600 to find out.

also, funny kageryu311. luckily i already referred to the potential of dyno queen powerband :)

after all my turbo is from like 1975

·
Registered
197 Posts
You have to look at the dyno sheet and recognize that the powerband was ever so rising due to a bit of boost creep. That is why it hit the boost cut in the 1:1 pull after. And that being said you will never have a even power curve to work with when trying to lay the power down. The trap is a bit low but like everyone said you have many factors that could have been contributing to a sub par mph or ET. Get the boost stable and then get some traction and you should be on your way to a very good Et. We ran a 6 speed with 800whp that we tuned on our dyno and it managed a 10.2 @ 143mph with a 1.58 60 ft.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts