Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my car out of storage/ my garage today. over the winter i made a custom turbo elbow and a test pipe. I had all the ic pipes off the car because i was going to get a decent set of hardpipes, but that didnt happen so today i put the stock ones back on. I did have the turbo off when i made the elbow and it looked to be in really good shape. there was almost no play whatsoever. I shimmed the wastegate out 5 washers, i have no boost controller either. i just finished flushing the radiator and took it out for a 5 min drive just out of town. it was running good and everything seemed fine, so i gave it a little gas so i could build up some boost. it went up to like 2psi, I let off. I was in town. seemed fine, so when i got just out of town i gave it about half the pedal, it jumped up to 8psi damn quick and then something popped. I think it was an intake pipe, but im not sure. nothing was off or very loose so i dunno. whenever i gave it enough gas to build boost after that it would only get up to like 1 or 2 psi then it would dog really bad almost like the engine was missing or something. the other thing is when i opened the hood to look for an ic pipe off, the whole engine bay was kinda wafting smoke. I think it was from me just getting coolant all over, but im not sure. the turbo was also smoking. the new shiny elbow i just made also turned a really bright light blueish color. is this normal? what did i do wrong? any ideas, suggestions, comments?
thanks much.
Ryan

·
Registered
250 Posts
Check the hose under the turbo. I forgot to tighten everyting down when I did my BHG and got a loud pop also. Mine was the conection between the 3000 pipe and the throttle body. The blue color to me is fine. Is the custom pipe made out of stainless steel? If so with the 800-1200 degrees of temp coming off the turbo it will turn blue. The wafting smoke is probably a mix of the coolant and the minute oil coming from the IC piping. Instead of using washers on your turbo get a manual boost controller (MBC) or an electronic one. That way you won't break off the tabs on the wastegate actuator.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked all over the car after posting this and sure enough, one of the lower ic pipes came off. here is why... my stock boost guage on the dash only goes to 8psi. my turbo timer also has a boost guage on it and i was looking at that. it said .809 when it popped off. I didnt think much of it and i never really looked at the meter on my turbo timer b4. it came with the car and didnt mess with it much. I thought maybe it was really 8psi or something when in fact it was kg/cm2 which with an online calculator comes out to 11.5psi. I still didnt know that till after i got back after this this little 5 min cruise. it was running good, boosted till the needle on the dash boost guage pegged and i was going like 90 in a 45. lucky i didnt get cought. I'm not used to that much boost, or any for that matter from driving my stock t100 beater all winter. the car kinda dogged when the turbo timer/boost guage said 1.0 ish. i thought cool, 10psi, shouldnt be fuel cut yet??? I went home, looked at the boost guage closer and sure enough, it was kg/cm2. I didnt know wtf that was so i looked it up on here. the timer has a last peak hold that read 1.09 which is 15.5 psi. so yah, that was fuel cut alright. I hope I didnt hurt anything from hitting it 3 times. did I?
time to take a couple of those washers off and see if i can get like 12psi peak or something. one post on here said it took about 10 washers to get 15psi. I think that guy was just trying to make everybody burn up thier turbo when they try it. I tried 8 and it wouldnt fit. I was pulling on the wg as hard as i could and no way it would fit. so i put in 5. that was still way too much, I'm gonna try 2 and see what happens when i take the car out agian tomorrow.

·
Registered
520 Posts
what are your other mods? running that much boost on the stock turbo is about the limit and it is a good idea to have proper fuel tuning otherwise your running pretty lean. also you have to have the other basic supporting mods (exhaust, intake etc...) and like someone else said get a real boost controller and stop messing with washers a mbc is not very expensive at all.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 3" from the turbo back.
I bought an e-01 a couple months back, but its kinda big and bulky as well as more complicated than anything i need so i never installed it. I am trying to get rid of that first or trade it to someone towards a profec b.
whats is the easiest fuel tuning device to use that I can set up and adjust. I dont want to have to pay somebody $50 an hour to set it up everytime i want to change settings for a long trip or the drag strip.

thanks for the replies,
Ryan

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
in the sogi right up 5 washer on the wastegate will get you only 10 psi... however with other modification psi maybe added... BIC ddp was noted of a 1.5 psi added when it was intalled..

what other mods do you have?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just 3" elbow and entire exhaust. fluidine radiator, and k&n filter, but stock ic pipes.
Im still gonna try just two washers tomorrow.
do you think i hurt anything by hitting fuel cut 3 times for about one to two seconds each time? Im gonna do a search on here and see what comes up.
thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've hit fuel cut quite a few times. Scared me the first time I did it. Thought I blew another HG. No, it shouldn't hurt your engine for the few times you did.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i put 3 washers on it now and it seems better now, not quite as fast, but doesnt hit fuel cut atleast its peaking just under 10psi.
the wierd thing is when i took it for a decent drive out of town and came back and ran some errands in town, every time i shut the car off and started it back up, it grumbled really bad at first. if i gave it gas, it did it again, but only when in N. it wouldnt do it again at all unless it was like less than 1 min from when i started the car. I shut the engine off, stated it again and same grumbling thing. any ideas? I also noticed that I have a pretty bad leak of oil coming from the oil lines going to the turbo. I hope its just the gasket. where can i get once cheap?
I kinda wish i woulda just left the damn car alone, it was running great when i got it. Kinda late for that now tho.
thanks guys
Ryan

·
Registered
583 Posts
you might have heatsoak. some cars get heatsoaked so bad they dont even like to start, hopefully someone will chime in with more info.

·
Registered
520 Posts
yea it is probably heat soak that is pretty common, or maybe fuel delivery issue. My car did the same thing run real rough at startup after driving for a while, but after i drove for a while it would stop. it turned out my car was running way lean at idle. i personally think the afcII is the best fuel tuning device for the money and ease of tuning (just turn the dial to the desired adjustment and off ya go). gotta have a wide band to tune it however, like any fuel controller. and i would fix the leaking turbo oil lines as soon as possible because if the turbo does not get the oil it needs youll blow the turbo pretty quick especially running 15 psi, and it is probably a fairly easy fix most of the time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is heatsoak? i have never heard of that before. I would like to be able to tune the fuel for best performance on like 10psi of boost. my hg was done 30k miles ago, not sure if its metal or not and i would like to make sure i get through the summer without blowing it if i can. are there any other reliable fuel tuning devices out there that are easy for the novice to tune?
thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
520 Posts
audioman81 said:
what is heatsoak? i have never heard of that before. I would like to be able to tune the fuel for best performance on like 10psi of boost. my hg was done 30k miles ago, not sure if its metal or not and i would like to make sure i get through the summer without blowing it if i can. are there any other reliable fuel tuning devices out there that are easy for the novice to tune?
thanks,
Ryan

heat soak is just your car reataining heat after being driven for a while, sometimes it can cause the car to run rough at idle or even to not start at all. try a search to learn more this has been discussed a lot. hks afr is a good tuning device also, but i think the afcII is still the best however i have no experience with the hks, so i cant say for sure. or you can go with something like an emanage or ems but they are not simple to tune exactly i dont think. most people seem to like the afc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts