Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fab up a custom ffi, and if I can get one of those alternator drop down brackets, that will help, but there is pretty much exactly 2.5 inches between my ac pulley and the fanshroud. I have heard of moving it to the other side and having no powersteering but that is not an option I am willing to deal with. if i can make some kind of drop down bracket for the ac, i can gain a little, but not sure if it will be enough (does anybody make one?). I dont want anything rubbing or clunking if possible. I have stock fans and fanshroud, and was thinking of cutting away the bottom area where the lower accesory fan is. my car doesnt have the lower one anyways. has anybody done this or been able to do what im trying to accomplish? will aftermarket fans give me any more room? I have a fluidyne radiator and that probably doesnt help any either.
if anybody has done the ffi while retaining everything, can you send me pics or give me advice on what you did.
thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
yup, search

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have searched many many times. everything I have seen either doesnt say or show what they did besides the manifold themselves or they removed the ac, or moved it as well as lowered the alt.
if you know of a thread that has it plz point me there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, but that still removes the AC or PS, he's looking for someone that has done it without removing either. I think Ron was working on a FFI that would not remove both (I think the long runner didn't need the alt relocation) but I'm not aware if he finished the design or not.

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
Ron's long runner has a bracket to drop the alternator and retain everything.
For the short runner's, however, you must relocate the alt to where the AC is.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm. i did contact ron, no response yet. I was planning on hacking up the stock one and making it with that. so im guessing that would be long runner. I will be making a drop down bracket at work next week just for some extra clearance.
I was thinking of getting a smaller optima battery or something similar that isnt as wide which will give me more room as well.
the hard part is going to be getting between the fan and ac pulley without scraping or rubbing either during normal driving.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
i have...

all still there. i bought the alt lowering arm from ron. and my fabricator
from www.ellisautoworkz.com built the ffi.

also used a cressida fan shroud and got rid of the stock ac fans....
same size battery and everything... HTH

-ian

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
cassio said:
i have...

all still there. i bought the alt lowering arm from ron. and my fabricator
from www.ellisautoworkz.com built the ffi.

also used a cressida fan shroud and got rid of the stock ac fans....
same size battery and everything... HTH

-ian
that looks great. is there any rubbing or rattling against the fanshroud or either pulley?
did you have to use a different belt after lowering the alt?
did you cut off the mounting arm on the bottom side of the alt?
did the cresida shroud bolt right up?
what size piping is that?
what throttlebody?
thanks soo much for pics and the fact that it is possible.
thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
im positive ron makes one, as i have contacted him about making me one with the same setup

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
that looks great. is there any rubbing or rattling against the fanshroud or either pulley?
>None what so ever

did you have to use a different belt after lowering the alt?
>yes i used a string to get an close fit, then went to the auto parts store with said string and got a new belt.

did you cut off the mounting arm on the bottom side of the alt?
>Ron Made the lower bracket, it is a bit smaller, can't remember details...
(i suggest getting the bracket from him)

did the cresida shroud bolt right up?
>took a little cutting and what not, but fit like a charm afterward.

what size piping is that?
>the FFI? i think 3 or larger cant rememberm the IC is 2.25 if i recall

what throttlebody?
>stock

got the TB cable from a 93 lexus es300, also the cable from certain early year carollas
matches also.

thanks soo much for pics and the fact that it is possible.
thanks,
Ryan

>let me know if you need anymore help

check this directory for any other supra pics from my cars history...
look for the files from August 25, 2005(ish)

-ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts