Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planing on fabing up my own ffim and im trying to get some info/research from people who have done it befor. what kind of aluminum to use and whats gauge, whats vaccum ports im goning to need. throttle body and tps, thickness of mounting flange for the TB. some ideas on everything to consider on fabing a efficent ffim it woud help me out alot, thanx

· Registered
3,136 Posts
Have you ever held a TIG welder before ? I'm asking because these questions really scream "I want a shiny part, i have no idea what it does, how it works, what i need, how i want or anything else that i should have done research on, AT ALL !" to me...

But that part aside. I made my own ffim, had a little experience with TIG welding aluminum... about 2 hours total. And it shows. Which is why i'll probably make another one now i know what to expect and look out for.

First of, i use 3mm thick aluminum for the plenum, 10mm thick aluminum for the base of the plenum (where the runners enter the plenum) and 15mm for the TB Flange.

Throttlebody, well i used the stock tb, including linkage and cruisecontrol. Yes cruisecontrol :p. You could pick up a aluminum 90mm TB but you'll have to do some research or hope for some more replies on this thread for info on how to use the stock TPS with a non-stock TB.

Vaccuum is simple, one big port and a vaccuum manifold.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever held a TIG welder before ? I'm asking because these questions really scream "I want a shiny part, i have no idea what it does, how it works, what i need, how i want or anything else that i should have done research on, AT ALL !" to me...

But that part aside. I made my own ffim, had a little experience with TIG welding aluminum... about 2 hours total. And it shows. Which is why i'll probably make another one now i know what to expect and look out for.

First of, i use 3mm thick aluminum for the plenum, 10mm thick aluminum for the base of the plenum (where the runners enter the plenum) and 15mm for the TB Flange.

Throttlebody, well i used the stock tb, including linkage and cruisecontrol. Yes cruisecontrol :p. You could pick up a aluminum 90mm TB but you'll have to do some research or hope for some more replies on this thread for info on how to use the stock TPS with a non-stock TB.

Vaccuum is simple, one big port and a vaccuum manifold.
I understand why you ask that question but yes ive tig mig and gas welded for the past 3 years . and its not that fact it a shinny cool part its for performance reason.

ok so ive heard of people using a Q45 ? and do you mean a vaccuum block ? one big port to a vac. block the rout whatever else i need ...

do you have any pics?

· Registered
3,136 Posts
No pics of my ffim right now. But if you search here or on supramania you should be provided with enough eyecandy. On SM look for a thread made by redturbo88. I believe he has a thread with quite some info on these, especially building pics.

Vaccuum block or manifold is quite the same actually, just a "splitter" of sorts ;) Q45 is a very commonly used ffim tb, but you'll have to do some research on how to use the tps then.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No pics of my ffim right now. But if you search here or on supramania you should be provided with enough eyecandy. On SM look for a thread made by redturbo88. I believe he has a thread with quite some info on these, especially building pics.

Vaccuum block or manifold is quite the same actually, just a "splitter" of sorts ;) Q45 is a very commonly used ffim tb, but you'll have to do some research on how to use the tps then.
ok cool thanx.

i figure i post somthing about this so i could fine someplaces to do my research or get some info from someone whos done it .

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Here is how you wire the Q45 TPS to the harness.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321855

Possible vacuum ports: charcoal canister, blow off valve, boost controller, map sensor (if you going standalone just weld a bung and put the map sensor in the intake mani), fuel pressure regulator, cruise control (if you still have it), brake booster, boost gauge, etc.

I would use 1/8" thick aluminum, but that's me.

· Night in the Ruts
979 Posts
I would just buy one already made for the 7M....Mount it up and and start driving. That's just me. I used to try and fabricate my own parts, just got tired of all the trial and error and down time for the car.

· Registered
3,136 Posts
True, but buying one and building one are two completely different ballpark figures ;)

· Registered
14,778 Posts
I would just buy one already made for the 7M....Mount it up and and start driving. That's just me. I used to try and fabricate my own parts, just got tired of all the trial and error and down time for the car.
it all depends on the kind of person, and what your goals are and how you want to get there :)

im the kind of person that wants to build and make everything on my own. i dont want help unless ive got two broken arms and i stub a toe.... lol

and i would LOVE to make my own shit, if i have the tools.

but i also know people who know that they cant and dont want to make or install things, so they spend the cash.. which is ok to do.

but i hate when you get one that claims the other lol.... a guy who buys all kinds of shit and pays for installs, then tells people he did it all himself.

or a guy who will build a shitty looking setup, install shit himself and do a bad job, then claim that some big time shop or famous place did it (or pay some small time place that fucks it up, then claim the better place did it to look cool)

· Registered
147 Posts
Is there a FFIM for the 7m on the market yet? I thought there was a romor that someone has been working on one for the aftermarket but I want sure how true that was.. If so who is making it? Just curious

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.