Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i got a TRD widebody kit made out of fiberglass :ugh2: I have it with me but am thinking of returning it because i hear that fiberglass is very fragile, so i am very hesistant about getting it installed. Anyone got any recommendations?

i will be using my supra as a daily driver in college so i need something that will last.... do u guys got links to other websites with durable body kits?
thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
body kits and daily driver usually dont work to well. maybe you can get a nice lip with sides. widebody is to much to take a chance with on a daily driver imo. i would use stillen if you dont want a lip maybe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
a lip would be perfect for daily. Fiberglass Widebody for daily i would not recommend IMO. My fiberglass kit cracks even though im driving carefully and super slow.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
no need for a widebody unless your rear 1/4 is messed up. If it aint then theres no need to go cut it up because thats what they will have to do to install the widebody.

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,203 Posts
just get the stock bumper with the RMM/Wings West/MVP Motorsports style lip. ALL polyurethane and durable as hell. I have had mine for 2 years and still going strong but some of my urethane is cracking due to severe abuse haha.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im liking that front lip and the stillen side skirts 94nasupra said to look up
thank you :bowdown: jz and 94na

·
@llcoolgene
662 Posts
Fuck It All Metal Ftw!!!!

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
LeeSupra said:
Fiberglass Widebody for daily i would not recommend IMO. My fiberglass kit cracks even though im driving carefully and super slow.
did you make your kit at home? lol :rofl:

a good quality fiberglass kit will last longer then your car,if it's prepped,painted and installed properly if you dont run into other cars,curbs,guardrails,e.t.c.

there are dozens if not hundreds of widebody Supras out there,Top Secret,Do Luck,TRD,ABFlug ,B&N and I dont see anybody crying about it

in the end its all about "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" :bigthumb:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I hate how everyone says fiberglass cracks, yeah it cracks if you hit something but If you hit someone with a poly or metal kit its also getting messed up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so there would be a difference in the quality of geniune body kits then those knock offs? am i right?
o yeah i was also wondering... is there a way to reinforce fiberglass?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
iwannaTT said:
I hate how everyone says fiberglass cracks, yeah it cracks if you hit something but If you hit someone with a poly or metal kit its also getting messed up.
LOL, +1 ,wonder how well a steel wide body will hold up if the car lifter about 100 feet and just dropped,it will become a pile of twisted metal,so who cares if it's steel or fiberglass, it will still get messed up if you hit it or wreck ,lol :bigthumb:

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
SUPbRiAn said:
so there would be a difference in the quality of geniune body kits then those knock offs? am i right?
o yeah i was also wondering... is there a way to reinforce fiberglass?

difference in the quality? you really have to ask that? there is only handfull of companies producing high quality knock-off kits, but majority of knock-offs is straight up crap,
why do you think real C-West, Do Luck,Border,e.t.c. aero parts cost 5 times the price of knock-off parts,

a way to reinforce fiberglass? ofcourse,but I would let a proffessional handle that,if you're not familliar working with fiberglass

but at any rate ,most of the knock-off kits can be installed on a car without any issues for decades,most important thing is to inspect the kit if the resin is cured,if you look on the back of the part the resin should be transparent yellow, some kits have black gelcoat and it's hard to see that,but usually if the back of the part is sticky,that means it's not cured all the way or it will never cure,since some half-ass companies in Malasia or China didn't use enough MEKP(hardener for fiberglass resin) which will cause the part to warp and shrink under higher temperatues.roughly it takes about a week for the resin to fully cure, may take a few days more depending on temperature and humidity,but if it's not fully cured within two weeks after the part was popped out of a mold, you do not want to install that part, as you may end up having waves and ripples after it's painted

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wow that was deep ex

alright so im convinced about fiberglass and all... just wondering now if i could install the TRD widebody without replacing the quarter panel or the rear bumper without it looking funny i should add

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
I don't think the sides skirts will work if you just put the front half on... Or if they do work they will lokk funny as hell cause on the real TRD everything fits together and they come pre drilled. Do it all or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol damn the quarter panel is a bitch to put on for the body shop... i hope this FRP crap doesnt crack as soon as i get on the road...

·
Recovering Supraholic
550 Posts
Make sure is Grade A fiberglass, and is laid by hand not sprayed on. Do your research about fiberglass bodywork, if you are not handy with body work don't even try it and if you don't have $$$ to pay a corvette shop to put it on, don't waste your time. Fiberglass can be durable. But if you don't do your homework it can be the biggest pain in your ass.
IAnd make sure to glase-bondo and sand with 480 or lighter. good luck

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Luna said:
Make sure is Grade A fiberglass, and is laid by hand not sprayed on. Do your research about fiberglass bodywork, if you are not handy with body work don't even try it and if you don't have $$$ to pay a corvette shop to put it on, don't waste your time. Fiberglass can be durable. But if you don't do your homework it can be the biggest pain in your ass.
IAnd make sure to glase-bondo and sand with 480 or lighter. good luck
even I dont understand what you're trying to tell this guy, since when a "corvette shop" is the best with fiberglass? lol
In my 32 years I have not seen one kit that was made for import car that was chopped, no one is stupid enough to make a bumper that will weigh 200 lbs

FYI,none, I repeat non of the knock-off kits are chopped, they are all hand laid,just poorly done, with air bubles still trapped in resin,thin gelcoat, some of them don't even have gelcoat,just some cheap spray paint

and I don't think he was even attempting to do the install himself

never finish bondo with 480 ,first off there is no 480 grit,lol , the finest grit before primer would be 180 or 220 grit, anything finer is asking for the topcoat to pop off :ugh2:

·
Recovering Supraholic
550 Posts
you are th man, sorry for my ignorance. the forums would be lost with out you :bowdown: :fawk:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts