Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making my sub box that will house two Alpine type r 10's and I have a few questions for the pros. How many layers of fiberglass is needed before I can finish this thing up. I have already 4 layers completed. This box is going to fit in the recessed are in the hatch so it is not that big. I just need to know when I can stop. Also what is the best way to attach the top board (baffle) to the box? Am I going to sandwich the fiberglass between the baffle and the frame with screws and then fill in any area between with a putty? Will that work ok? Or would it be better to cut the baffle to fit inside the box and then screw from the outside into the baffle and fill with putty? See the attached pictures to help you understand what I am talking about. The first picture is of the frame right before I layed the first layer of fiberglass. The second picture is of the first layer after it hardened.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why would you want a speaker box made out of fiberglass? :confused: That would sound like shit compared to a wooden box wouldn't it? I can't imagine fiberglass resonates as well as 3/4" thick MFD wood.

·
I own a Lexus
952 Posts
Fiberglass is kick ass for boxes. With enough layers and the rite bracing it can be solid! Most custom boxes incoprerate fiberglass in some way. Some use it to make a tub to get maximum air space and some use it to give it the "custom" look like what I have done. Most if not all look better then mine but you get the idea.

X

·
0 Posts
thats correct....fiberglass allows you to make maximum use of the space in your install area.....you can use sweatshirt material to mold and shape your box to the desired shape.....usually nice smoot flowing shapes....and onec you have about 3 layers its rock solid.

T

·
0 Posts
LOL, FG is possibly the best material for subwoofer boxes. Once built past 3 layers it is virtually unbreakable. Resin makes it rock hard. I have also started my box for my new car. Im going to use 3 10" Eclipse DVC aluminum subs. And build the amps into the floor of the trunk. 2 Orion Xtreme Pro's.

All Focal component's and an Eclipse receiver. The box is looking pretty good. When im done im going to paint it to match the car. I will post pics when it's all done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts