Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a quick summary of my problem. since i bought the car almost a year ago this april, 65 mph or above the steering wheel starts to vibrate tremendously. i always thought the front tires may have been unbalanced or a wheel weight fell off. so i go them remounted and balanced but didnt solve the problem. next, i thought it would be the alignment. i didnt get that done b/c i wanted to wait til i got two new front tires b/c the inner walls were completely gone. so i bought two new tires and had them mounted and balanced today, thinking the problem will be gone. the guy comes back afterwards and says that the left front wheel is bent enough to cause a vibration. my nightmare just came true. the only bright side is that on the way home, the problem has been eliminated somewhat but just knowing that the issued has not been resolved is annoying.

so a couple quick questions. am i damaging the wheel any more by driving on it? am i damaging my suspension? contributing to the uneven tire wear (although its goin in for a suspension once it gets nice out)? most importantly, is my safety a concern?

thanks guys for listening

ryan

·
Registered
594 Posts
you won't do any damage to anything but it will definitely be annoying...just take it to a wheel repair shop and they shouldn't charge more than 125 bucks to fix it if it's that mild of a bend

·
10'S BABY
3,834 Posts
Dang. I dont mean to whore a thread here, but I have the same problem..Balanced all my tires and they are fairly new..but still vibration at 65+..I better get back to Hibdon to check out the wheel situation..Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its been there since i bought the car so my guess the previous owner hit a pretty bad pothole. it cant be that bad though because i dont have to constantly keep putting air into it and thats what u usually have to do when you bend a wheel. the tire keeps going flat. its just an inconvenience now. hopefully after an alignment i wont be able to tell at all. we'll see

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
89MKIIIT said:
Dang. I dont mean to whore a thread here, but I have the same problem..Balanced all my tires and they are fairly new..but still vibration at 65+..I better get back to Hibdon to check out the wheel situation..Thanks for the heads up.
You probably bent a wheel too :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
You should all check your Bushings in the front suspension...I had the same feeling at about 65mph. replaced the bushings with a kit from TMengineering.com They also have rear supra bushing kits.

·
Jordan
205 Posts
Mine shakes too....just got new rims, tires and alignment and same problem...I think it's caused by my 5mm spacers up front...anyone??

·
Registered
24 Posts
ChBrAc16,

Considering that you purchased the car almost a year ago, you should have the steering and suspension thoroughly checked-out. With an out-of-round wheel, obviously this causes flutter and shimmy that you can feel ("vibrates tremendously"). Surely if you can feel this, your steering/suspension components are subjected to this oscillation and will cause accelerated wear. A reputable alignment shop or dealer should be able to perform a satisfactory job of the usual rack-end, ball joint, bushing, strut, etc. (i.e.-front-end check) and give you the skinny on this. If the previous owner had hit a pot hole hard enough to bend the wheel, you could expect to see some damage to other steering/suspension components....with some luck there will be none :) Was it the RF wheel? Just curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts